2008 FC Indiana

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by ButlerBob, May 20, 2008.

1. El Gato

El Gato Moderator

Mar 29, 2000
    Midwest
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is this possible? Teams are allowed to upgrade their rosters? Are they allowed to add the Pali players b/c their team did not participate in the Open Cup?

Also, is FCI the only W-League team to particpate in the Open Cup this year?

2. twinssoccerdad

twinssoccerdad New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    FC Indiana 8, Philadelphia 0
    BREAKING
    The 2008 W-League runner-up FC Indiana defeated Philadelphia German-Hungarians 8-0 on Friday afternoon at the US Open Cup National Final Four at Starfire Soccer Stadium in Seattle, WA.
    FC Indiana controlled the majority of the match and out-shot their opponents 24-1. Goals were scored by Annie Hamel 16’, 56’, 86’; Kelly Parker 21’; Maria Ruiz 71’, Laura Del Rio 78’; Lauren Sesselmann 73’, 81’.
    FC Indiana return to the US Open Cup Championship match for the 3rd time in four years. The team won the 2005 title and finished second in 2007.
    FC Indiana will face Ajax America Women, 4-0 winners over the Dallas Sting.
    Tonight’s National Championship will be played at Starfire Soccer Stadium at 9:00 PM Eastern Time. Tickets are $5 Adults (16 and over) and Youth (under 5 free) and are available at the gate.

3. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi,

I don't know the details. If you look on the WPSL website at the rostered players for Ajax you'll see Mele French and Kandace Wilson.. who are also rostered for Pali Blues per the W-League website. I was told that Ajax had 3 players who also played with Pali but I can't confirm. I don't know how/why players are allowed to be rostered in both teams/leagues.

I also don't know if FCI was the only W-League team in the Open Cup... why wouldn't a team like Pali play in the Open Cup? I found it difficult to find anything online about the women's us open cup.

Mace

4. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone on here claimed that W-League teams were forbidden from playing WPSL teams, though there have been exceptions.

5. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YES!! FC will be bringing home the US Open Cup as they beat Ajax in overtime. Fatima Leyva scored a "screamer" from about 20 yards out to give FCI the 1:0 victory with about 12 minutes remaining. I'm very happy for the team and coaches.

Mace

6. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The official report was sent out already:

INDIANAPOLIS, IN, August 10, 2008 — FC Indiana coach Shek Borkowski hopes to lead the club to more success in 2009 after beating the Women’s Premier Soccer League (WPSL) champions Ajax America Women to win the US Open Cup. The club's 1-0 triumph at Starfire Soccer Stadium in Seattle, WA on Saturday was their fourth major trophy in four seasons.
    "This has been a fantastic season and one we hope to exceed next year," said Borkowski. "The players did everything we asked of them, they put in a good performance and could have scored more goals.”

The first half was filled with chances for both teams with Lauren Sesselmann hitting the cross bar for FC Indiana and Cami Boswell for Ajax.
    Sesselmann looked to score the game winner in the 65th minute when her 18 yard shot bounced off both post before going out of bounce. In the 88th minute Fatima Leyva’s corner was headed by Sesselmann against the crossbar and Alicia Milyak’s follow-up was blocked on the goal-line by Ajax’ Stephanie Scholl.
    In overtime, FC Indiana dictated the tempo and it was a matter of time before midfielder Fatima Leyva took a pass from Laura Del Rio and quickly slotted home a 20 yard shot past Ajax goal keeper Ali Lipsher in the hundred eight minute. "It's a great feeling to win our fourth trophy in four seasons - we've got a great team spirit and work ethic," said FC Indiana’s captain Fatima Leyva. "Scoring that goal gave me one of the best feelings ever."

Borkowski believes his side deserved to lift the US Open Cup because of the brand of soccer they have played. "I think the way that we have played this season, I think we deserved this victory.”
    The Pole, whose side have been lauded for their attacking style during the season, realizes that it will be struggle to keep his winning side together.
    "I think there's no doubt some players will go, so we have to start again," he said. "We have to try to keep this team and bring in three or four better players."

FC Indiana finish the 2008 season with a 20-1-1 record.

7. El Gato

El Gato Moderator

Mar 29, 2000
    Midwest
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that quote I am sure came from me at some point in time (along with some others). :)

Although the USL not wanting the W-League to play WPSL teams is true (and the history of why is well documented within this forum if you search for it), I believe the line the USL has taken in the past on the Open Cup games (and the organizations themselves) is cost, too much travel, games need to be scheduled mid week within the already crammed/short W-League season. The WPSL teams seem to make it work every year though. Maybe there are more "amateur" teams in their local market.

IMO, if the W-league entered more teams, you would see squads show up with skeleton squads, B-squads, signed local/high school players or even some Y-League players just to fill out rosters. You see it already with MLS teams showing up for Men's Open Cup games with guys you never have heard of.

The Men's Cup can be pretty lucrative if an amateur team makes it deep through the process. Is there a financial motivator for the women?

It could be just me, but I never hear anything about the women's open cup until the semis come around, and the WPSL puts out a release that one or more of their teams are in the tourney still.

To circle it all back around, that is why I was suprised that FCI was in the tourney.

8. El Gato

El Gato Moderator

Mar 29, 2000
    Midwest
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmmm. Good investigative skills. :D

No clue how you can play in both these leagues at the same time.

9. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    Did they actually play for both sides or were they just listed on both rosters?

10. jeffconn

jeffconn Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Norfolk, VA, USA
    Club:
    Hampton Roads Piranhas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    Del Rio and Leyva re-sign for 2009
    August 14, 2008
    FC Indiana confirmed on Wednesday they had re-signed Spanish striker Laura Del Rio and Mexican midfielder Fatima Leyva for the 2009 season. The club said that "the pair have put pen to paper on permanent contracts with the club this afternoon. All other aspects will remain confidential and undisclosed."
    The deals represent a big coup for the club as both played a key roles for FC Indiana where they reached the W-League final and won the USASA Open Cup.
    Del Rio, 26, is one of the most talented strikers in the world. She began her career with Spanish club Levante, making her debut at the age of 17. She has made 30 appearances for Spain WNT scoring 12 goals, has won 3 league titles and 6 cup titles in her career. She has scored 156 goals in all competitions in nine seasons. This season, Del Rio was FC Indiana’s top scorer with 15 goals and 13 assists.
    Leyva, 28, is a highly rated midfielder who adds a touch of class to FC Indiana’s attacking play. She joined FC Indiana in 2005, and helped the club to two league and two cup titles in four seasons. She has played 45 times for Mexico, scoring four goals.
    FC Indiana also previously announced they had re-signed Monica Ocampo, the Mexico international forward.

12. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    Luik signs on for another season
    August 28, 2008
    FC Indiana coach Shek Borkowski has confirmed his fourth signing of the summer as Australian midfielder Aivi Luik has signed for her fifth season with the club.
    The 23-year-old has been at FC Indiana since 2005 and Borkowski calls Luik his “most versatile” player. “Aivi arguably has been our most consistent performer of the last five years, is one of the “must have” players for me, and this is an excellent foundation to continue building for next season," said Borkowski.
    Luik has played in 79 matches with FC Indiana, helping the club to two league and two Open Cup national championships in four seasons.
    She will spend the next 4 months on loan in Ukraine and will return to FC Indiana in January.

13. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    http://dandal.webblogg.se - 2008-08-26 @ 21:23:07

FC Indiana targeting Ingvild Stensland

The American W-league club FC Indiana (runners-up last season) is looking to strenghthen their midfield and are interested in Kopparbergs/Göteborg's Ingvild Stensland. Stensland is a key player both with her club and the Norwegian national team and Göteborg, who recently lost their star forward Lotta Schelin to French side Lyon, has according to a local Chicago soccer news site asked for a USD 75,000/SEK 450,000 transfer fee. This is, according to unconfirmed sources, less than half of what Göteborg got for Schelin's contract. But it is still a rather big lump of money, and FC Indiana seems reluctant to persue their interest.
    Chicagoland Soccer News: LOOKING FOR A MIDFIELDER
    Damfotboll.com: Begär 450.000 för Ingvild Stensland

Just a curious question here: I was under the impression that Stensland's contract with Göteborg FC finishes after this season. At least that is what was announced in October last year, when Stensland decided to re-sign for the 2008 season. And FC Indiana shouldn't have any serious ball-playing ahead of them until May next year, when their league starts. So why are we talking about a transfer fee here?

14. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    "FC Indiana give global vision to women’s game in the Midwest – great stuff from the Global Game about (FC Indiana), whose scouting network puts most MLS clubs to shame." - PITCHINVASION.NET

"On the other hand, FC Indiana (I believe the only W-League team who chose to go professional) is quietly building from their core by resigning Laura Del Rio and Monica Ocampo and are now pursuing Ingvild Stensland. Head coach Shek Borkowski already has an established and successful group so he only needs to concentrate on adding to that (No word on what Charlie Naimo is up to in LA with the Blues? Anyone know?). This is a HUGE advantage that leads me to believe FC Indiana will be as good as or maybe even better than most WPS teams. Borkowski may lose some players to the WPS drafts, but it does appear this won’t be an issue since the club is using the off-season to offer contracts and keep much of the team intact.
    It will be interesting to see what happens to FC Indiana in the next few years and whether the W-League will go through some changes as well." - WPS.THEOFFSIDE.COM

15. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This might well be true - I remember that the WUSA teams had very little cohesion their first season as the players got to know each other. Well, certainly, the Freedom didn't: Beulah wrote a classic review of one of their early matches (sadly lost in a computer crash) entitled "Freedom 101: My Teammates Wear Blue/Freedom 102: And That Is Who I Pass To".

16. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    Kelly Parker taken by Sky Blue in the International Draft.

Any thoughts on how she will do?

17. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it looks like there will be a new coach with FC Indiana next year. It looks like Shek is going to be the head coach of changed team in Rochester/ Western New York FC Pride. The team will be affilated with FC Indiana and also pro team.

http://wleague.uslsoccer.com/home/288139.html

18. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    Yes, this has brought to light many questions.

Who will coach, what players will be where?

Also, Do you think that USL is making a run to compete with WPS? Two "pro" teams, just 5 more and they are even with the "big" league. That would also give the USL a "minor" league system which includes amatures. Who has a better set up?

19. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    What is all this affiliation stuff? FC Indiana is affiliated with Rochester/ Western New York FC Pride. Chicago Red Stars is affiliated with FC Indiana, etc.
    Why is Shek leaving FC Indiana? More money? Better opportunity? Since he didn't get the Chicago Red Stars Head Coach job, is he moving on? What gives here?

20. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    I am not that close to it but I did hear that he was leaving two months ago.

Does he think that he has a better chance of joining WPS with WNYFC? I makes no sense.

I know that he is working like a mad man to get his indoor facility in Lafayette, In in shape and running better. So I would like to ask the same questions to him.

I have a friend that works there and she is not sure what his plans are or what the plans for FC Indiana are. I am going up there this weekend to watch some indoor friendlies. If I see the right people I may ask the burning questions. I do not know Shek on a personal basis so I will not ask him but there are some that might give up some info.