2008 FC Indiana

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by ButlerBob, May 20, 2008.

1. twinssoccerdad

twinssoccerdad New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    Just wanted to add a quick note. Not sure if everyone saw this on the FCI website.

They are trying to convert an old minor league baseball stadium into a SSS to try and attract the pro leagues. It use to be a beautiful park but now is run down and will take a lot of work.

I am not sure what the cost is for a SSS brand new at the minimum but it has to be close to redoing this facility. Just my $0.02!

But don't get me wrong, I would love to see a pro side in the city.

2. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's what was posted on the team site.

http://www.fcindiana.com/

FC Indiana interested in Indianapolis Busch Stadium
    July 2, 2008
    FC Indiana, North America’s only women’s professional soccer team is in early discussions with its host city to help develop a plan to renovate Busch Stadium, in the hopes of attracting women’s and men’s professional soccer franchises for the area.
    The ownership of FC Indiana, a United Soccer Leagues W-League team playing its home matches in Indianapolis, proposed to help develop a plan to renovate Busch Stadium to professional soccer league standards, stated FC Indiana’s Shek Borkowski.
    The FC Indiana ownership group believes that "In the light of the demand... for modern soccer facilities - the time is right," said Borkowski. Among Busch Stadium’s needs, according to Borkowski, are general renovation and clean up to the Stadiums interior and exterior, a new field turf playing surface, a new clubhouse, luxury suites, new offices and seating.
    Opened in 1931, Bush Stadium was the longtime home of baseball in Indianapolis, serving as the home of the Indianapolis Indians.
    It opened as Perry Stadium in 1931 and was renamed Victory Field in 1942 to honor the United States victory in World War II. The ballpark was renamed Bush Stadium in honor of former player, manager and team president Owen J. Bush on August 30, 1967.

3. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    The biggest question is, if the build it, will they come?? How big is the FCI's home crowd per game now?? MN had almost a sell out last Sunday when FCI was in town. A bit over 800+, MN avg I think is over 500 per game. Is FCI doing that well? Not trying to compare, just asking is all.:)

4. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    Honestly right now they do better when they play at Purdue. This is because their training center is in Lafayette and a lot of the younger teams show up. I think maybe 2-300. In Indy not that well. But I also don't think they advertise much outside of the training center and the website. If they were to "go bigger" they would have to put some work into the marketing department.

5. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Where does this team get the money? They are part owners of Chicago Red Stars, buying up land, bringing in foreign players. Who's the ownership or who/what's the driving force behind this organization?

6. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    Great Question MRad. TDad, can you help us on this one??

7. scalvixen

scalvixen Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Southern California
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I'm not mistaken umbro is financing their gear and players.

8. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    They have a lot of sponsors that cover different areas. Umbro, Footie Chick, Lee's Inn, PDA Indianapolis and an apartment complex. These alone take care of essential needs. Gear (these ladies have nice kits and extra shirts, three different kits I think) and lodging obviously(Lees Inn). The apartment complex is where the players live so there is a discount there I am sure. There is a local restraunt that does all pregame meals and special events. Also, Boost shoes. Don't know much about them othere than the players get free athletic shoes, not cleats. I think their travel is supplied by a sponsor.

As far as cash flow I am not sure other than the Lafayette Sports Center (which is owned by the same people as far as I know) supports a lot of indoor leagues and training sessions. I would quess that all the sponsors also support with some cash.

Do not take this information as gospel this is just limited things that I have picked up being around the club. And I try to be as observant as I can.

9. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    FC Indiana re-sign Mexico international Ocampo

PHOTO ATTACHED: Monica Ocampo (white)

INDIANAPOLIS, IN, July 12, 2008 — FC Indiana announced the re-signing of Mexico international Monica Ocampo for the 2009 season.
    Ocampo, 21, was one of twenty finalists in contention for the title of 2006 FIFA Women’s World Player of the Year.
    She has represented Mexico 45 times, scoring 31 goals, her most recent coming last October in a 1-1 tie with the US in Albuquerque, N.M.

“Ocampo has shown great potential with her performances for our club and the Mexican national team over the past two seasons and she will add great quality to our squad,” said FC Indiana coach Shek Borkowski.
    Ocampo is the typical player Borkowski likes as she has technique, temperament and vision. In two seasons with FC Indiana, Ocampo scored 18 goals and assisted on 8 in 18 matches, while helping the club to 2007 Women’s Premier League national title and and this season to a first place finish in the United Soccer Leagues (USL) W-League - Midwest Division.

"I like technical and quick football – the way FC Indiana play," Ocampo said. “I hope to continue the success I’ve experienced here and hope to bring even more success to FC Indiana and the fans. I can play in the centre or on the wing, behind one or two strikers. I wanted to continue my career with FC Indiana because of the club’s attacking football philosophy."
    “Ocampo has always been a priority, her vision and composure will be key to our future success. Her goal scoring rate at the international level is excellent,” said Borkowski.

10. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    FC Indiana wrap up Midwest Division title with 2-0 win over Kalamazoo

INDIANAPOLIS, IN, July 13, 2008 — FC Indiana continued their stellar play in the 2008 regular season with a 2-0 win over the Kalamazoo Outrage to claim their first Midwest Division title.
    FC Indiana (12-0-1, 37 points) have wrapped up the division with one game to play. The highest scoring team in the league came out firing in West Lafayette and went into halftime with a 2-0 lead. To no surprise to FC Indiana fans, leading the way in scoring were Julianne Sitch (10 goals/ 2 assists) and Kelly Parker (3 goals / 5 assists).
    Parker followed up Thursday night’s 7-0 win against Michigan (where she had 2 goals in 75 minutes of playing time) with another goal in the 20th minute after Fatima Leyva played her a short corner. Sixteen minutes later Julianne Sitch scored on a perfectly placed 20 yard shot, assisted by Jenny Jeffers.
    Following six halftime substitutions, FC Indiana continued to pound the Kalamazoo defense, but could not produce another goal. Kalamazoo goalkeeper Erin Carlson faced 29 FC Indiana shots during the course of the match, making 13 saves.
    Clinching the title gives FC Indiana head coach Shek Borkowski several options for the last regular season game this Thursday night against Chicago at Kuntz Stadium (7:00 kick off).
    “It is a tremendous advantage to have this clinched with one game to go,” said an elated Borkowski. “We have the luxury to play all of our players in the next game and allow all of our injuries to heal. Still, the goal is to finish the regular season undefeated and to go into the playoffs on a roll.”

Kalamazoo Outrage at FC Indiana
    Purdue Soccer Stadium
    West Lafayette, IN
    July 13, 2008

SCORING:
    FCI - Parker (Leyva) - 20’
    FCI - Sitch (Jeffers) - 36’

LINEUPS:
    FC INDIANA: Kristin Luckenbill (Mason 46’), Jenny Jeffers, Marie-Eve Nault (Moore 46’), Aivi Luik (Havrilesko 46’), Julianne Sitch, Kelly Parker, Fatima Leyva (Mosebo 46’), Alicia Milyak Phewa (46’), Laura Del Rio, Lauren Sesselmann, Annie Hamel (Ruiz 46’)
    KALAMAZOO: Carlson, Rienzo, Yoshikawa, Hill, Roy, Heyboer, Gielak, Kondratko, Brown, Gaylor, Benoit

STATS:
    Shots: KAL 2, FCI 29
    Saves: KAL 13, FCI 2
    Fouls: KAL 9, FCI 7
    Offsides: KAL 1, FCI 1
    Corners: KAL 0, FCI 11

11. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Why would players sign with USL-W or WPSL teams now when I would think they would wait to see if they're chosen in WPS? And, IMO, Monica Ocampo would be have a great chance of making one of the teams.

12. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    When I first saw that I thought the same thing MRAD. Unless there is an out clause if drafted.

13. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
  14. jeffconn

jeffconn Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Norfolk, VA, USA
    Club:
    Hampton Roads Piranhas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because most W-League and WPSL players aren't officially "paid". They make "beer money" from clinics or the odd endorsement. Plus, most of the players that are under contract are under 1-year contracts. When the season ends in August, they can go play in Europe or WPS, or wherever they can get the money.

15. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    I do not know much about Parker she is new this year from Canada. I think she was with Ottawa last year.

Go to like Shanner she is a ND grad.
    Sessleman plays so hard and she is went to Purdue so some local flavor.

But to be honest they are all great to the kids and willing to sign anything or take a photo.

16. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    She's an assistant coach at UTEP and I believe she played there as well.

17. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    I googled her and got that but could not confirm it was the same person. Thanks.

18. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    Asstn Coach, WoW!! great for her then!! She played mean when they played us. I liked her alot.

19. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    They all play pretty aggressive. That is the way coach wants it done.

I hear that their training sessions can get pretty hot when they scrimmage each other. I asked if it compared to NFL training camps (when you see the fights on sportscenter) and some of the players laughed and kinda shook there heads "like yeah".

I don't think there were actual fights but some heated exchanges.

20. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I don't know if I asked before, but how many players from FC Indiana do you think will make it into the WPS league?
    Also, I heard FC Indiana's coach was in the running to be the coach of Chicago Red Stars. FC Indiana being part owner, how did this fall through for him? And is there any bitter feelings he didn't get the job?

21. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    To be honest I can not answer about the coach not getting the position. I thought he would from the minute the announcement was made about the Chicago team. But I thinkg that the Red Stars did well in their choice. Maybe the wanted a female and they did get a qualified one it look like. (I have not seen that all the teams in the WPS have announced thier coach yet so he may move. But I think he is part owner of the FCI club.)

As for future WPS players- I am not sure how it will work with all the foreign players they have but this is just my opinion.

Sessleman- I would think with her style of play she would make someones roster.

Sitch- Very aggressive and always in the right place.

Del Rio- She is having a great season.

Leyva- She controls the mid-field, but someone would have to use a foreign spot for her.

Shanner- A week ago I would have said she is a for sure thing, found out Sunday she was injured and sounds bad but have not heard more yet. I hope not, she would be a positive addition to any team.

Luckenbill- No doubt she is one of the top 7 or 8 keepers in the nation right now.

Parker- She two has had a good season and will probably get some looks. I know she played in Canada (not sure if she is Canadian and how that works against foreign players.)

They have two South Africans that have great skills.

I am sure there are other players on the roster that could help fill out a large roster. I would be how they appear at the showcase.

I do have an in to how many will goto the showcase when I get that info I will pass it along if my source says it is ok.

22. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    I have it from a pretty reliable source that the Chicago Red Stars will be represented tomorrow night in Indy at the FC Indiana v Chicago Gaels match.

23. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    Found this on a Peter Wilt blog. So I am guessing that the signing of Ocampo would be void if she is drafted by a WPS team.

24. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    Jeffers and Leyva honored

INDIANAPOLIS, IN, July 17, 2008 — FC Indiana midfielder Fatima Leyva and defender Jenny Jeffers were honored by United Soccer Leagues yesterday with a selection to the W-League Team of the Week.
    Both Leyva and Jeffer's play were crucial to FC Indiana's three victories this week, wining two road matches on the way to capturing the W-League Midwest Division title.
    FC Indiana captain Fatima Leyva had 1 goal and 3 assists in a 7-0 win over Michigan and a 2-0 victory over the Kalamazoo Outrage. The former Mexico WNT captain standout tallied a goal and added one assist to give FC Indiana momentum heading into a midweek showdown with Chicago.
    Jenny Jeffers assisted on the game winning goal against Kalamazoo and anchored defense to two shut outs.

GK, Joy McKenzie, Rochester, 9 saves in shutout at Laval
    D, Mary Casey, Northern Virginia, GTG and helped defense allow only 3 shots
    D, Jenny Jeffers, FC Indiana, 1 assist and helped D allow only 4 shots in 2 games
    D, Kim McMullen, Hampton, 1 goal and anchored defense to first shut out of year
    M, Jessica Varela, Richmond, 2 goals and 1 assist in 3-2 victory over Dynamo
    M, Victoria Huster, Boston, GWG and well-rounded performance against Passion
    M, Collette McCollum, Pali, 2 goals and 1 assist in just 55 minutes
    M, Fatima Leyva, FC Indiana, 1 goal and 3 assists in two wins
    F, Christie Welsh, Washington, 3 goals and 3 assists over two win weekend
    F, Tiffeny Milbrett, Vancouver, 2 goals and 1 assist in 3-1 win over Fort Collins
    F, Christine Latham, Atlanta, 3 goals in 4-2 win at Charlotte to clinch division

NOTES:
    FC Indiana v.s Chicago
    With a win tonight (Kuntz Stadium, 8:00 p.m.) against the Chicago Gaels, FC Indiana can capture the Central Conference title and host the Conference championship.

25. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jim Gabarra has told me the same thing about the Freedom: there's no mechanism in place in the WPS draft that gives him any special privileges when it comes to retaining current Freedom players - it's all up for grabs.