2008 Champions Cup, Libertadores, Champions league, Sudamericana, etc qualification

Discussion in 'Mexico: Club Cups and Competitions' started by la fresa, Dec 4, 2007.

1. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    means of qualification to these tournaments change next season

http://www.mediotiempo.com/noticia.php?id_noticia=48979

so basically, first four place teams go to the concacaf champions league.

fifth and sixth place teams go to the sudamericana

fifth place team also goes to the libertadores, and teams 6-13 battle it out for the rest of the spots.....

what are your thoughts on this?

the four teams in the one year long concacaf champions league kind of messed things up in my opinion

2. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    I posted somewhere else that I would have preferred if the 3rd/4th slots be rewards to the regular season superlideres rather than the liguilla final losers. Now that I think more, maybe this is the way to go. That way we still get the chance of superlideres going to libertadores instead of concachampions, a much better reward.

I still think it's funny that we could have the Interliga between teams 6-13 to determine two Libertadores teams, when Libertadores is the strongest competition. The other thing I find interesting is that they aren't using Apertura 2007 standings for anything. So Santos gets nothing for dominating this past regular season, not even an Interliga 2009 slot (still make it if they do well in the clausura).

3. Pingudo

Pingudo New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Interesting that the 13th team in the league (out of 18) could potentially play in Libertadores, the stronger competition.