2008 ACC Tournament

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Crazyhorse, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. ZSoccer

ZSoccer New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    North Carolina seems to be the obvious choice. Can anyone really match up with them??

3. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I hope we stay healthy and can get by UVA to set up a rematch with UNC.

I may be jumping ahead, b/c we all have to make it through the bracket, but to be honest, it would be a real upset to lose to anyone other than UNC or UVA.

4. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One game at a time, a lesson hopefully FSU learned after todays first half performance.

5. carolinablue_cchs07

carolinablue_cchs07 New Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Murray, KY
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UNC's lesson of the day: "DON'T SHOOT AT THE KEEPER!" AUGH.

Hopefully Tobs'll be able to go full by Friday at the least. I doubt she'll play Wednesday as a precaution.

6. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Anyone have a link for Wednesday playing times? Does it follow the seeding; UNC at 12:00, FSU at 2:30, etc; or do they mix it up? Thanks.

7. USFSU

USFSU Member

Aug 20, 2005
    #1 seed game, then 4, then 2, then 3. For the full bracket, go to the women's soccer section at theacc.com and click on the bracket.

8. carolinablue_cchs07

Sep 12, 2005
    Murray, KY
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    holy credap. A UNC win and they will play a) BC or b) Duke

whoa. uhm.. Tobin... is your ankle better?! (ha. we NEED her. OBVIOUSLY.)

9. USFSU

USFSU Member

Aug 20, 2005
    The ACC is pretty strong this year, huh? Do all 8 teams playing in the ACC tourney make it to the NCAA tourney?

10. carolinablue_cchs07

Sep 12, 2005
    Murray, KY
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm honestly thinking no. i'm going with the top 5-- UNC, FSU (< obvious two), UVa, BC, and Duke. after that, someone could sneak in. you never know.

11. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I the only one with a bad feed, pauses every 3 seconds.

12. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    It's not you . this may be the worst feed of ALL...TIME.....

(apologies to Muhammad Ali)

13. carolinablue_cchs07

Sep 12, 2005
    Murray, KY
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heels tied 0-0 at the half. 8 shots, 3 on goal. We had Tobin... and the stat sheet didn't seem to tip. -_-;

14. enfuego

enfuego Member

Oct 9, 2006
    another struggle vs miami.

15. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    The top 6 teams from the ACC are in for sure. All are in the top 20 nationally (and have been in the top 25 all season long). Each one of them has also been ranked in the top 10 at some point this season as well (then the ACC season started and they all started beating up on each other). So that's UNC, FSU, UVA, BC, Duke, and Wake all in for sure. I think this season you could really make a case for all 8 teams from the ACC tournament to make the NCAAs. Every single one of them is ranked in the top 30 of the last RPI ranking of the season that came out Monday. Miami played another tight game with UNC in the ACC tournament, and VaTech is in double overtime now with FSU.

Nov. 4th NSCAA Rankings:
    #4 UNC
    #5 FSU
    #10 BC
    #12 UVA
    #17 Duke
    #18 Wake
    Receiving Votes: Miami and VaTech

Nov. 4th RPI
    #2 UNC
    #4 FSU
    #8 BC
    #10 Duke
    #11 UVA
    #15 Wake
    #26 Miami
    #29 VaTech

My money is on all 8 making the NCAAs this year. The ACC is hands down the best conference, anything less than 7 teams would be an outrage.

16. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    And now VaTech and FSU ends officially in a tie, bolstering VaTech's case for the NCAAs even more.

17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Penalty kicks for FSU-VT.

The other games went by the predictable score of... 1-0?:eek::confused:

I didn't get to watch all of the other matches. How were the matches?

18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    That win should definitely put the Hokies in the NCAA tournament.
    VT XOXXX
    FSU XOOX-

Great match by the Hokies and especially the defense and freshman keeper Kristin Carden.

19. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great game VT, hopefully we will not have to see you again. You all deserved that win, dominated us, much like you did the first game, we were lucky to beat you all the first game. Wake call for FSU.

20. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    You didn't miss much. Pretty uninspired soccer.

21. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What Florida State needs is a "Motivational Speaker". They played like they were living in a van down by the river.

22. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For RPI purposes, this game is treated as a tie. If the Hokies lose their next game, they will be adding both a tie from this game and a loss from the next one to their "winning percentage" (Element 1 of the RPI). Since each of the win and the loss would decrease their current Element 1, one loss actually would have been better for that element. But, by adding FSU and their next opponent to their Element 2, they probably will come out with a net RPI gain. And, they could win their next game.

All that being said, since their RPI rank through last weekend was #29, given a likely net benefit in RPI from the FSU game based on strength of schedule whether they won, tied, or lost, they would have been in the tournament no matter what. Dropping from #29 to below #42 (the almost certain minimum break point) is just too far in the RPI for a team to travel on the basis of one game at this point in the season. The NCAA would have had to consider the other criteria as a possible basis for over-ruling the RPI -- head to head results and results against common opponents -- but even negative results there probably would have not been sufficient to drop them that far down on the list.

Someone else's statement, however, that the ACC is hands down the best conference is not born out by the statistical rating systems. Both the RPI and Massey indicate that the Pac 10 is stronger. SoccerRatings has not released conference ratings yet, although it keeps promising them soon. These two conferences, however, appear to be significantly stronger than any of the others.

23. nvsoccerfan

nvsoccerfan New Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Get job by VT........Although the NCAA and FSU will only count this match as a tie and not a win. PK's are used to determone who advances to the next round.

24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Although officially a tie, I think that is Tech's first ever tie or victory over the Seminoles. There have been some close matches over the years. I thought Tech was going to win that match in Blacksburg last season. Since we did you a favor and didn't make this a L for FSU, can we borrow an offensive coordinator, a QB, and/or forget the last football meeting between the schools before tomorrow night?

25. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We will be lucky to beat Clemson on Saturday, the magic is gone, has been gone since Richt left us for UGA.