2007's end: Who are our 23 at this point?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Marko72, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Ok, at the conclusion of Year 1 of the cycle, I think this is an appropriate time for us to look back at what we learned of our players and make our own 23 Tickets to South Africa in the manner of Yanks Abroad.

I'm giving my opinions as to how things seem to be shaking out and progressing. It's not really a roster based on who will be who in 2010 (much too much can still happen, and 2008 will be a big year in terms of our personel taking shape, particularly given the U23 qualifying and Olympics tournaments still ahead of us). Nevertheless, 2 summer tournaments, a bunch of friendlies, a U20 World Cup and most of a year with a new coach has revealed some things, methinks.

("*" Denotes a near-lock.)

GK:
    Howard (*), Hahnemann, Guzan (or about 3 or 4 others, this last place is very much up for grabs, but Guzan seems the favorite)

D:
    Cherundolo (*), Bocanegra (*), Onyewu, Bornstein, Pearce, Spector, Demerit, Conrad

(Simek, who had a good but brief Nats summer, and Parkhurst seem to be on the outside looking in at the moment. This could soon change. Gibbs's health has taken him out of the running but I won't totally discount him yet.)

M:
    Bradley, Edu, Feilhaber, Clark, Beasley (*), Dempsey (*), Adu, and the last spot methinks is a toss-up between several players.

(With all the strong young talent in the center of pitch, a lot of it rather defensive-minded, Mastroeini will find it increasingly difficult. As to the wings, well a lot of that talent is young, and 2008 is the big year for the U23 contingent to show they're up to speed. The following I think are the most likely contenders, in no particular order: Convey, Kljestan, Zizzo, Alvarez, Holden, Mapp, with Hill, Nguyen and Beckerman less so.)

F:
    Altidore, Donovan (*), last two spots up in the air.

(We've talked 'til we're blue in the face about who those last two guys could be. Johnson? Ching? Twellman (I hope not!)? Davies? Cooper? Rolfe? Wolff (crazy, I know...)? Someone else like Preston Zimmermann who's not yet in the picture? Lots still to be shaken out here.)

I used the formula of 3 GK spots (which are mandatory), 8 defender spots, 8 midfielder spots, and 4 forward spots. Placing a guy like Donovan in a forward spot and Dempsey and Adu in midfielder spots was basically arbitrary. You could just as easily decrease the forward slots by one and give that one to the midfielders by moving one of them up, but then you pretty much need a target guy for the last slot.

Ok, your picks.

2. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Word Cup was in three months:

Howard, Keller, Guzan
    Bocanegra, Gooch, Conrad, Demerit, Spector, Dolo, two of Bornstein, Pearce or Parkhurst
    Donovan, Beasley, Convey, Klejstan, Feilhaber, Edu, Clark, Bradley
    Ching, EJ, Dempsey, Adu

3. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    Here's my line up with starters in bold:

GK: Howard
    Guzan, Hahneman

D: Dolo, Bocanegra, Gooch, Bornstein
    Spector, Conrad, Demerit, Pearce

M: Donovan, Edu, Clark, Bradley
    Dempsey, Feilhaber, Bradley, Convey

F: Altidore, Adu
    Ching, EJ

Toughest calls for me:
    1) I'm drinking the Freddy Adu and J. Altidore Kool Aid. I think these kids can play.
    2) As such, Dempsey's on the bench, but he's the first man in either at RM or for Adu.
    3) I'm actually LEAST comfortable with the backline. I could build an argument for any of the 8 above or Parkhurst to start. Whatever we have back there - they need to gel. Arena never did this and bit him in the ass in 06.

4. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I take it you meant "Beasley" on the left and that's a typo, correct? As to the rest... Yeah, I'm inclined to drink the same Adu/Altidore intoxicant. They both have much to prove, but they're loads more promising than what we have up front, and they still have time to prove it. As exciting as it sounds to have Dempsey, Donovan and Adu on the field at the same time, I really doubt that will work, unless you want to put Adu out on the left wing. But Beasley's faster than Freddy, he works harder on defense, and Freddy has let it be known by his words and his play that he hates it out there; he prefers a central role and his talent's most suited for it. Therefore, one of them has got to be on the bench as a supersub. I really don't care which one it is in 2010 at this point, because any way you look at it, that looks like a potent 60-70th minute attacking sub-on. And that's a good thing to have. And yeah, the backline, this time out, is our weakness (aside from our forward problem, which the kids just might solve).

5. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta

I don't see how Spector could be left off of any 23-man roster Bradley (or any other manager) puts together.

He can play anywhere in the back, in midfield and even push up top late in games if you need a goal really, really bad.

During a - hopefully - long tournament he's about as valuable of a player as we're likely to have.

Hell, Bruce was going to take him to Germany if he was healthy.

To me, he's a lock.

6. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I'm a Spector-backer, I like his ball control and his poise on ball and man, but keep in mind that there's still a number of years left to go. The knock on him, IMO, is that he's a bit slow and hesitant for a fullback, and a bit smallish for a center back. That said, I think his versatility will see him through to the roster, one way or another, and I'd think he'd probably be the first defensive sub off the bench.

7. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Agree. Guzan has passed Hahneman.

Hard to blame '06 on Arena alone. D was in a state of flux. Pope was fading fast. Boca wasn't playing nearly the way he is now (or as much, at Fulham), Conrad was Conrad, and Berhalter was Berhalter. And there really weren't any other options. DeMerit did pop on the radar, but too late.

8. kaka'22

kaka'22 New Member

Aug 14, 2005
    New York
    Howard, Hahneman, Guzan

Dolo, Simek, Boca, Parkhurst, Demerit, Onyewu, Spector, Bornstein

Bradley, Edu, Feilhaber, Clark, Beasley, Convey, Adu, Donovan

EJ, Altidore, Dempsey,

These are the best 22 players that we have now, and I think these are 22 players(injury pending obvioulsy) that will make the 2010 roster. Aside from a couple other defenders that could possibly replace my 8, i cant really think of anyone else that deserves that last spot. I'll leave that spot open to Zizzo, Szetela, or some other young player.

9. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Yeah, I mistakenly left Szetela off my "midfielders that must prove themselves for the remaining spot(s)" list.

10. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    One more point that I think relates: At this point a year ago, I really wasn't expecting us to be a particularly good team and play great soccer this year, nor in 2008, what with a new coach (and who knew who it would be at first) and with the departure of guys like McBride and Reyna and a lot of unblooded young talent. As it is, I don't think we were that great. I think we've been slightly better this year than I thought we would be at this stage, with the exception of the Copa, which was dreadful but expected. And I don't expect us to be great in 2008, though I hope the U23s do well and I think they can. I think that sometime around 2009 is when we can and really MUST begin to put it all together and reach the next level of play. I think that's the schedule we're on, in my book.

11. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    Well said. And yes that was a typo. I meant Beasly. I'll try to fix it now. Thanks.

12. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Beasley is no better than questionable until we're sure how he recovers from his knee injury.

13. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My mistake leaving off Altidore, he is worth taking even if he is a risk. I would drop Beasley if his injury is long-term or Klejstan if not.

Tallavena: Are you serious with the Spector stuff? Really?

I picked the guy because of his versatility, but there are many valid reasons to leave him off.

1. He often has played poorly for the USMNT, most notably his last time out.

2. He has no position -- too slow for outside back, too small for center back, not active enough as a dmid, not skilled enough for any other midfield position.

3. He doesn't play enough for his club team to perform well for the USMNT.

14. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if wc was in three months: (i'm including Bease as healthy)

GK Howard, Hahnemann, Guzan
    DF Cherundolo, Spector, Bornstein, Pearce, Simek, Bocanegra, Onyewu, DeMerit, Parkhurst
    MF Donovan, Beasley, Convey, Adu, Edu, Feilhaber, Bradley, Clark
    FW Dempsey, Ching, Altidore

Alternates:
    GK Reis
    DF Conrad, Dunivant, Hejduk
    MF Alvarez, Mapp, Kljestan, Mastroeni
    FW Johnson, Rolfe, Cooper

------Adu--Dempsey-----
    Beasley-----------Donovan
    -----Edu------Bradley----
    Pearce-------------Cherundolo
    -----Boca----Onyewu----
    ---------Howard----------

15. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GK: Howard, Guzan, Canon
    DEF: Bocanegra, Onyewu, Cherundolo, Bornstein, Pearce, Parkhurst
    MF: Donovan, Beasley, Dempsey, Feilhaber, Rico. Clark, Bradley, Edu, Rolfe, Alvarez, Convey
    F: Adu, Altidore, Ching, EJ

16. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If WC was in 3 months:

GK:
    Howard, Hahnemann, Guzan

DEF:
    Cherundolo, Spector, Bocanegra, Conrad, Onyewu, DeMerit, Pearce

MID:
    Dempsey, Mapp, Feilhaber, Clark, Bradley, Edu, Adu, Beasley, Convey

FOR:
    Ching, Donovan, Johnson, Altidore

17. mattmanp

mattmanp Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With so much talent in the midfield and not much depth up front, wouldn't we be better off in a 4-5-1 and bringing up the front three mids to be creative with the ball and create some opportunities? Maybe Altidore up top with Donovan, Adu, and Dempsey behind him making runs and taking 1x1s.

18. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will note the number of players at each role, to make sure the numbers work in total and to make sure each role has the logical number. A few posters have displayed too few defenders, for example.

At this point (NOT in 2010) 4-5-1 formation. Starters in Bold.

Goal (3) = Howard, Hahnemann, Guzan

Def (8) = Cherundolo, Simek, Oneywu, DeMerit, Bocanegra, Conrad, Pearce, Bornstein

Mids (9) = Donovan, Dempsey, Beasley, Bradley, Edu, Feilhaber, Clark, Adu, Convey

Forw (3) = Johnson, Ching, Altidore

Players likely to become starters by 2010 = Hopefully Adu and Altidore. Maybe Bornstein, Clark, or Feilhaber.

Players in danger of dropping out of the top 23 by 2010 = Hahnemann, Conrad, Simek, DeMerit, Pearce, Convey, Johnson, Ching.

Players who could push themselves into the top 23 by 2010 = Cannon, Reis, Seitz, Parkhurst, Spector, Kljestan, Zizzo, Rogers, Szetela, Findley, Cooper, Alvarez.

19. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    ---Nutmeg---Segroves (is there anyone more offensive?)

--------SandonMibut

-Revolt----MartinFischer---BillArcher

----------TimB4Last

-Kevin8833---sidefootsitter--asdf2--KarlK

-----------cleansheetbsc (duh, anyone with cleansheet in his name better be a great keeper)

I'll go to war with this lineup. ;)

20. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    In 3 months:
    Starters in BOLD

Keepers (3) = Howard, Hahnemann, Guzan

Defenders (8) = Conrad, Parkhurst, Boca, Cherundolo, Simek, DeMerit, Gooch, Pearce

Midfielders (8) = Dempsey, Beasley, Edu, Feilhaber, Clark, Adu, Olsen, Convey

Forwards (4) = Johnson, Ching, Altidore, Donovan

21. WarriorSoccer

WarriorSoccer Member

Nov 3, 2005

If you are going to war, you could probably win on shear NUMBERS alone...

22. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    2010 is what counts, so the intermediate rosters are so tentative...projecting a bit to 2010:

howard, guzan, seitz

bocanegra, onyewu, spector, parkhurst, pearce, bornstein, cherundolo, wynne

convey, beasley, dempsey, adu, bradley, feilhaber, szetela, edu

altidore, rolfe. davies, donovan...

emerging from from behind are spector, parkhurst, wynne, szetela and davies to get final 23 slots...

each of these is MORE skilled than guys left off the final 23....

23. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    I had forgotten about Simek. He's looked good and is a true RB in a country which has an amazing problem producing right backs.

24. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Damnit. Still getting pigeon-holed.

25. Plan B

Plan B New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Chicago
    WC in three months:

GK: Howard, Hahnemann, Guzan - although if Keller were healthy it would be tempting to take the three experienced keepers.

D: Bocanegra, Gooch, Conrad, Parkhurst, Spector, Dolo, Bornstein, Demerit - Pearce just loses out here because, hey, in a WC I'd still move Boca or Spector out left before I'd play Pearce.

M: Donovan, Bradley, Edu, Adu, Convey, Klejstan, Clark, Rogers - Beasley will be hurt alas, so I'd take a flyer on Rogers. You know, were it not for his surgery I'd have taken Olsen as my fourth center middie. Yes, Benny and Pablo would my nos. 6 and 7 there now.

F: Dempsey, Altidore, Ching, Johnson - Twellman would still be No. 5. Man, we need strikers.