2007 Upper Deck MLS cards

Discussion in 'Collectors' started by TheHun, Aug 10, 2007.

1. TheHun

TheHun Member

May 5, 2005
    It has been announced that the 2007 Upper Deck soccer set will be late this year to accomodate ... um you-know-who.

There are a few things to look forward to such as the debut cards of Toronto FC and a good stock of rookie debutants.

It may contain the last cards of Eddie Pope and Jason Kreis. The first MLS cards of Juan Paublo Angel and Xavier.

I would be curious to know who would be the most awaited card in this set ?

2. Batmancab

Batmancab New Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Warren, NJ
    I suspect that the hot new single autographs will be: Cuauhtemoc Blanco, Juan Pablo Angel and of course David Beckham if he and Upper Deck come to terms. Other single autos that I would hope to see are Dwayne De Rosario, Freddy Adu and Landon Donovan.
    However the most sort after cards will be the Dual Autographs numbered to 50. The hot autographs here will be any combination of Freddy Adu/Eddie Pope/David Beckham/Landon Donovan/Dwayne De Rosario/Ricardo Clark/Eddie Johnson/Juan Pablo Ange/Chris Rolfe and Cuauhtemoc Blanco.
    The number one card of the collection will be anything David Beckham!
    Since the first MLS cards came out in 1997, Upper Deck never produced Dual Autograph cards. The only time that I ever saw an MLS dual autograph was when they made one for the 2005 HAWAII TRADE CONFERENCE. The card was of Freddy Adu / Eddie Pope, card number SHP-7, numbered to 10. These may be the rarest MLS cards ever made. I actually have been able to obtain three of the ten.

3. Batmancab

Batmancab New Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Warren, NJ
    UPDATE:
    Rumor has it that negotiations with Upper Deck (UD) and Beckham fell through and there will be NO Beckham autographs in the 2007 set. It is also rumored that the September issue date has been moved to November.
    I would think that this is a major set back for UD and MLS card collectors that were looking forward to the Beckham autograph cards.
    I hear that UD wanted to Beckham to sign enough autographs to satisfy the “collectors” and Beckham only wanted to sigh a few which would have brought a very high value for the card, limited the number available to the average collector.
    A LOSE, LOSE situation for everyone.

4. usbfc

usbfc New Member

Sep 8, 2000
    New York City
    If this is true, it's a shame. Beckham has the right idea. Collectors appreciate the value of those rare cards so UD shouldn't have been so adamant about it. It makes owning a card very unique and obtaining a card really challenging.

5. yellow777

yellow777 New Member

May 28, 2007
    I was hoping to arrival of "you know who" would generate interest in the hobby. We were able to move some older Futera and Upper Deck stock that contained Beckham cards. I hung on to a complete 1997 England set and box. I sold a Three Lions Beckham early in the spring for 1.25, marks_soccer just got over 50 dollars for one. I would appreciate it if you guys would read/post on my blog. http://soccercardsusa.blogspot.com I'm also letting go of most of my European cards as I try to focus on making a complete MLS checklist/price guide. Thanks, CW
    PS: I need 2004 and 2005 Nabsico. I have 2006 to swap.

6. Batmancab

Batmancab New Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Warren, NJ
    I totally agree, I am one of those collectors.

7. Batmancab

Batmancab New Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Warren, NJ
    I can help you with a complete MLS UD checklist and a price guide (1997-to date). Email me at gary@atnum.com and I will forward an excel spreadsheet to you.

8. Don_Crafts

Don_Crafts New Member

Oct 31, 2000
    20 House, Oswego
    I just order the complete kit (2007 Upper Deck MLS Soccer Factory Sealed Hobby Box) from Medina Sports Cards via Beckett.com. $50 for the lot. The site says 31 October ship date. I look forward to doling the packs out one-by-one to my 8 year old.

9. TheHun

TheHun Member

May 5, 2005
    I hope you able to share the joys of this season's soccer cards from MLS. So far phone calls to the Upper Deck public relations office have gone unanswered.

By the time most of the scheduled cards reach the fans, the season will be all but over.

There is talk of another company coming in from the UK and buying rights for a set. However, seeing the monopoly that UD has made with NHL hockey, it might be problematic to let MLS license another company.

I have to say IMO, that UD has been less than exciting in their ideas and designs for their soccer cards.

If you look at what Futura and Topps has done in the UK, you will see somewhat of what Americans are missing in soccer card collecting.

cheers

10. Batmancab

Batmancab New Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Warren, NJ
    $50 looks like a good price, ebay has them listed quite a bit higher!

11. Don_Crafts

Don_Crafts New Member

Oct 31, 2000
    20 House, Oswego
    http://www.beckett.com/store/cardsforu/Shop.osi?N=21

Medina, the company through which I bought them, has 7 more at $50, and another 4 at $60 with a pack of 100 card sleeves. They are one of several companies that sell at Beckett.com. All have essentially the same price.

I've never collected cards, but I look forward to introducing it to my son. His is fascinated with all the details of MLS. I figure trading cards are perfect for that.

12. TheHun

TheHun Member

May 5, 2005
    If any one is interested, I have some older MLS and other soccer cards availalble for sale or trade.

Looking for a few 2006 Panini World Cup cards:

Dirk Kuyt - Holland
    DaMarcus Beasley - USA
    Arjen Robin - Holland
    Ronaldinho - Brasil
    Zidane Zinedine - France

13. Batmancab

Batmancab New Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Warren, NJ
    To: Don_Crafts
    It’s been quite a few years now, but when my son was younger, he used to really get a “kick” (Excuse the pun) out of going to the MetroStar games. Especially afterwards, as we would wait outside the stadium for the players to come out, and we would get the players to autograph their respective cards.
    I must say they were all, always willing and very happy to oblige. On one occasion they invited us to go to a local Houlihan's where they hung out after the games, to meet other players for more autographs.
    Priceless
    To: TheHun, I am always willing to purchase UD autographed MLS cards that you might have available for sale (Got anything new?)

14. Kurri

Kurri Member

Dec 18, 2006
    is there a price guide yet for futbol/mls/epl cards? i was thinking about getting into collecting again, but not sure if these cards are worth anything, etc.

15. Batmancab

Batmancab New Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Warren, NJ
    To KURRI: I am not sure what you mean when you say “epl”?
    I have been a serious collector of U.S. Major League Soccer (MLS) Upper Deck (UD) cards since 1996. To the best of my knowledge there is no know “price guide” around for these soccer cards, however, a group of collectors and I have put together what we believe to be a pretty accurate price guide of our own. The guide is for cards from 1997 MLS UD/Bandai through MLS UD 2006. Our pricing was guided by actual sales through eBay, along with the many private trading and sales that go on between collectors in our small group. I would be happy to email a copy to anyone who wants it.

16. soccercards*dot*com

soccercards*dot*com New Member

Oct 11, 2007
    California
    We are the largest soccer card dealer in the USA and a distributor for UD soccer products. The latest release date for the 2007 MLS cards is Nov. 7. The product will be "Beckham-intensive", but there will NOT be Beckham autograph cards. This information is accurate as of today and, as is always the case with UD, is subject to change. As soon as we have them in hand, we'll be offering them online on our website.

By the way, there is no comprehensive price guide for soccer cards nor to my knowledge is one being contemplated. Carlos Munoz, a very serious collector, was trying to put together a catalog (not a pricelist) for many years, but it never happened and I haven't heard from him in years.

By the way, we have a nice selection of MLS cards in our online store at www.soccercards.com as well as a huge selection of other cards from around the world.

17. Don_Crafts

Don_Crafts New Member

Oct 31, 2000
    20 House, Oswego
    Thanks for the update. When I started searching for MLS cards I found your site first. I would have order the 2007 box from you, but you didn't offer pre-sale and I wanted to make sure I got them as soon as they came out. I still have my eye on your 1999 Fire set.

One kind word of unsolicited advice, and please take this the right way, your website is in terrible need of a facelift. It looks like it was designed in 1995. If it were not for your giant selection, it would be impossible to take you seriously based on your site.

18. Steve Holroyd

Steve Holroyd New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi Mark.

I remember Carlos saying he was going to try to do a checklist, and wondered what happened.

19. Batmancab

Batmancab New Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Warren, NJ
    Update: Looks like the product breakdown is going to include MLS Dual Signature Cards NUMBERED TO 10, for all those of you who enjoy the challenge of finding the rare cards and appreciate the values, this is the set to get!
    Rumor also has it that there will be 12 MLS Dual Signature Cards produced and 30 different Single Signature cards (not numbered).
    I can say this "I will be looking for one of each" if anyone gets one and wants some extra spending money for the Holiday's, just let me know. Happy collecting!

20. soccercards*dot*com

Oct 11, 2007
    California
    I'll post this group when the 2007 MLS cards yrecent UD products were printed in Quebec).

Mark

21. soccercards*dot*com

Oct 11, 2007
    California
    My last posting got garbled.:confused:

What it should have said is that I will post this thread when we receive the 2007 MLS cards. We usually get these first as we are fairly close to UD's shipping point (usually Nevada) and we are a direct UD distributor. Sometimes a product is printed in Canada and shipped from a consolidator in New York, in which case I'll have them a few days later than the distributors to the east.

22. soccercards*dot*com

Oct 11, 2007
    California
    We have the 2007 Upper Deck MLS cards live and ready to ship. Please visit our web site www.soccercards.com for details.

23. Batmancab

Batmancab New Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Warren, NJ
    UPDATE: I just opened up a few boxes and can confirm that I obtained a Dual autograph card Numbered to 10 and a Single autograph card (not numbered).
    I have no clue as to the odds as they are not on the boxes and can not confirm any checklist.

24. schlotman

schlotman New Member

May 6, 2007
    lawrence
    Would anyone wanna help make a check list for the inserts?
    I bought a box and am curious what all is in the set.
    ...ahem I'll start :)

GG1 Andy Gruenebuam
    GG2 Bouna Coundoul
    GG3 Brad Guzan
    GG4 Dario Sala
    GG8 Matt Pickens
    GG10 Nick Rimando
    GG11 Pat onstad
    GG12 Ronald Waterreus

SS1 Alejandro Moreno
    SS2 Andy Dorman
    SS4 Brad Davis