2007 UNC Tar Heels Pre-Season [R]

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Heeligan2, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    Hi Y'all,
    Shall we start a new thread?

2. goalieanna

goalieanna New Member

Jul 30, 2006
    California
  3. tarheelblue31

tarheelblue31 New Member

Jan 3, 2007
    my question is where ashlyn harris is. seems as though she was the one heel (besides heather) that was supposed to be confirmed to be called up, but didnt come up on the roster

4. GIRLS CAN PLAY

GIRLS CAN PLAY New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Raleigh
    How does a player start 1 game the entire college season and get a call up to the WNT? There were several girls who performed well the entire college season on several top 10 schools. This is not a put down but a legit question.This baller tallied less than 30 min on the U20"s. Is there a back door to WNT?:confused:

5. speedoblobb

speedoblobb New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    CHAPEL HILL
    Without looking it up, I think she played the last 4 games or so, maybe 180 minutes? Nevertheless, she is very athletic. She made a few bad decisions, but as a back-up it sounds like a good plan. I doubt there's a back door, but the cream rises to the top and Ryan seems like he's a pretty good judge of quality.

6. DJChickenpox

DJChickenpox New Member

Aug 17, 2006
    i have to agree about nogueira. she played a tremendous last few games, but a call up to the WNT is a bit premature. great things are probably in store for her, but not quite yet. in any event, it's just a camp, i guess. a lot of them won't make the roster. as for harris, maybe it has something to do with her never-ending injuries? or just the fact that she is probably not in good enough shape for the WNT given that she played so little during the season?

7. tarheelblue31

tarheelblue31 New Member

Jan 3, 2007
    i think even though casey didnt play much what she did play showed what greg ryan is looking for. and, also, kristine lilly and abby wambach are not going, so he is looking for younger players with alot of talent. i think casey has that talent its just she hasnt been able to get that many minutes to show off that talent. if you're picking on minutes on u20s, then how many players that you think are worthy of the call even WERE on the u20s? also, she might not have gotten alot of minutes on the heels this season, but seeing as shes playing for the heels, it doesnt mean that much if she didnt start. i'm sure she woulda started almost every game in almost any other school. and, its not like shes the only one being called up, kerri hanks and lauren cheney are too...

as for ashlyn, i had heard earlier that she was supposed to be on the roster for january. aslo, she has so much skill, i dont understand why after recovering from her acl injury that she got FROM wnt camp in the summer, she isnt being called up again. she's obviously one of the greatest young keepers out there, if not the greatest young keeper right now

*just my opinion*

8. onfirst

onfirst Member

Jun 7, 2002
    I guess Kasey White failed to impress Ryan. With Wambach and Lilly out, she would certainly be in camp if he thought she could contirbute.

9. tarheelblue31

tarheelblue31 New Member

Jan 3, 2007
    if she failed to impress him, how did she make algarve cup roster?... and play? (i think it was algarve....)

10. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think Val Henderson is in a much better position to be called up over Harris who hasn't been in the youth program as of lately. All four of UNC's players deserve the call up to the 1st team. As for Noguiera, she has shown some good stuff during the final four and I'm sure Ryan and Hall were watching. Also, having a father who was a famous player helps.
    Ryan seems to look for players that can play his style and system. It doesn't matter how good you were at UNC, ND or whatever, if you don't fit in to what he's trying to do, you're not going to be on his team.

11. onfirst

onfirst Member

Jun 7, 2002
    It was the Peace Cup and that is where I am guessing she failed to impress. She started one game and came on as a sub in one game (out of the 4 games the US played), then was not called into the team for the Gold Cup three weeks later and is not invited to the current camp. Thats too bad for her. I always liked watching her play, but thought that she might be a bit undersized and not physical enough for the international game.

Of course I could be compeletey wrong and maybe Ryan just decided to give others a look at this camp.

12. goalieanna

goalieanna New Member

Jul 30, 2006
    California
    Harris hasn't been in the youth system lately because of her injuries, and when she was healthy, has been with the full team. I believe she's been invited to the residency camp when it begins in April.

Harris and Henderson are both excellent keepers, with great confidence and command of their area. I expect they'll both be in the mix for, at least, the next couple of years.

13. tarheelblue31

tarheelblue31 New Member

Jan 3, 2007
    so do you think she'll be giong into camp later, but ryan is not bringing her in now so she can have extra time to completely heal?

14. soccermum

soccermum New Member

Sep 24, 2006

It seems by looking at the roster that Ryan purposely went extremely young for this one. It will be more tellling, I think, if she doesn't show up at all later in the spring.

15. e20mo

e20mo New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    I think Ryan is doing exactly what April Heinrichs never did and should have. Bringing in youger players to camps to give them a taste of what being on the full team is like. These are young players that have potential and I'm guessing he wants to see if it is all talent or if they are players that will work hard to get better and play for the WNT, not just sit back on natural ability. Its all about planning for the future and possibly finding a youngster that can make the cut now or before the WCup. None of the players that have been on the WNT are g'teed a spot and they need to be pushed by talented, hungry youngsters as well. Its good for everyone.

16. speedoblobb

speedoblobb New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    CHAPEL HILL
    I agree wholeheartedly. However, I now believe that we should save our players for the UNC games and not allow them to get hurt for the USA. With parity just on the horizon, we should protect our army and prepare for the worst.

17. carolinablue_cchs07

carolinablue_cchs07 New Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Murray, KY
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so... i assume that somehow, Tobin didn't pass ryan's standards.

but Hucles did??? ok... NOW i'm confused.

18. DEFENCE_FIRST

DEFENCE_FIRST New Member

Aug 12, 2003
    T.O
    Club:
    Toronto
    Vote for ROBYN GAYLE for CSA Player of the year

Tar Heel Defender and Canadian International Robyn Gayle was recently nominated for the Canadian Female Soccer player of the year. The voting ends the end of this month and you can cast your votes.

Simply goto this link:

http://www.canadiansoccer-secure.com/poty2006/register.jsp

You will require a Canadian Postal Code here is one you can use as default

M6M 3R7

Good luck Robyn!!

19. speedoblobb

speedoblobb New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    CHAPEL HILL
    Re: Vote for ROBYN GAYLE for CSA Player of the year

It felt like cheating, but I voted for Robyn!

20. birdie428

birdie428 New Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Dallas, Texas
    There's a profile on Courtney Jones in the latest SI. She sounds like a great, tough kid.

21. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yael and Casey Noguiera both get first caps on WNT !

Casey started 1st half against England.

22. speedoblobb

speedoblobb New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    CHAPEL HILL
    HeaO scores only goal for USA in two games in China!

23. speedoblobb

speedoblobb New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    CHAPEL HILL
    Chalupa and Kai score for the USA to win the 4 Nations Tourney in China. I'm so proud of our Heels. Despite the paucity of goals, we persevere, even with a very young team. I'll be curious to see how many Heels play in the upcoming WORLD CUP!

24. speedoblobb

speedoblobb New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    CHAPEL HILL
    The photos on the US Soccer website tell it all. USA is UNC!!!!

25. DEFENCE_FIRST

DEFENCE_FIRST New Member

Aug 12, 2003
    T.O
    Club:
    Toronto
    This is incredible