2007 Champions League Drafted Game?

Discussion in 'Games & Fantasy' started by DoctorJones24, Aug 27, 2007.

1. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Last year, we got started on this too late and never were able to do it. Maybe if we start thinking about it now, we can be ready for the Sept. 18 kickoff of the first round group games.

We could probably do it like we did the World Cup game last year. I think that was 10-12 squads, with the bottom teams getting knocked out as the competition went along at various stages. That was pretty cool.

Anyway, post here to establish interest. I think priority should be given to the 32 managers already participating in one of the Rocks leagues, but I'm open to hearing otherwise on that.

2. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    interest established

3. Ingromius

Ingromius Member

Feb 3, 2000
    NW London
    Yup, I'm in, provided we don't arrange draft to coincide with a time I can't be available, of course...

4. djangone

djangone Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Los Feliz
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That'd be totally cool. I'm in.

5. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    So far:
    1) DrJones24
    2) Ingromius
    3) lobomojo
    4) djangone
    5) Hal
    6)
    7)
    8)
    9)
    10)

Here's the link to the game site. Should be up and running in the next couple days.

http://en.uclfantasy.uefa.com/M/home.mc

6. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    I think we should try to start the draft by the 10th, btw. That will give us 8 days--should be plenty of time.

7. Hal

Hal Member+

Sep 9, 1999
    Aviators will give this a try.

8. Ingromius

Ingromius Member

Feb 3, 2000
    NW London
    Ooh yikes, I think I may fall foul of this date -- significant other in town, or at least someone from whom I'm campaigning to earn such a title. Draft-inspired blowoffs would not augur well for the old LSG love machine methinks...

9. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    We'd need to start earlier or later?

10. djangone

djangone Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Los Feliz
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Oh come on, Ingro! What can give the flush to a woman's cheeks and the pitter-patter to her heart more surely than a display of bravery, dashing and savvy of winning a drafted Champion's League Tournament?

11. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I miss you guys :) Count me in

12. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Excellent. 2 more would give us a decent sized group. 4 more would be ideal.

13. Hal

Hal Member+

Sep 9, 1999
    Gamesite is up.
    So when do we start the draft?
    Who's conducting the draft order draw?
    Are we going with 6 teams or going to try to recruit some more?

14. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Is it worth doing with only 6 teams? If so, we'd need to start asap.

I'll be away all weekend, and won't be near a computer or available to even take phone calls from Hal for proxies. (Taking a group of students to a Shakespeare festival in Canada)

If you guys want to run a draft over the next few days with only 6 squads, that could probably go pretty quick, and we'd be mostly done by Saturday when I leave. And even if we're not, I think there'd be enough studs left over after the draft that I could just fill in my remaining spots with free agents after the weekend.

I'll go ahead and run a draft randomizer and PM everyone the draft order tonight. Then if we decide to do it, we can just get started right away.

15. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    OK, I used the online draft randomizer that sent out the order to me, Hal, Ingromius, and djangone simultaneously. (Sorry, lobo and wiggum..didn't have your emails, but here's the results as they were sent to me)

Round 1 (Serpentine after that)

1) ibreak4coffee
    2) Hal
    3) Ingromius
    4) DoctorJones24
    5) djangone
    6) lobomojo

If we're going to do this, then I'd just as soon get started asap. If you guys want to bail, no biggie. This took just a few minutes. Anyway, I think Wiggum can go ahead and make his pick whenever he feels like it to get us started.

And let's just do the draft in this thread--no need for a new one.

16. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

Well after looking at the draft order, I'm bailing:p....nah I'm in if everyone else is; beating Wiiiiiggguuuumm never gets old or too time consuming:D

perhaps we could wait until tomorrow afternoon to see if we could add a couple more though but I'm ok with 5 quality players and wiiiiggguuummm:p as well

17. djangone

djangone Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Los Feliz
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm still here, and I'll be tracking this. I'm taking time off after some craziness. My brother on the other hand is just getting into his zaniest work period in years, basically doing two jobs while keeping himself pretty in the bargain. I'll email him again, but don't hope for much.

18. Hal

Hal Member+

Sep 9, 1999
    I am not available from 7-3 EDT each day this week as I am hosting and facilitating a conference. I can't do my normal checking in on the computer to make a pick and then back to work.

Tonight, Wednesday, I'll be at the DC United game from 5:30-10 PM.

That said, I'm ready to go. I'll send a PM to Jay with two choices for my top pick so that he can make my Round 1 pick as soon as Coach Ralph picks. Then, I'll check in at 3:30 - 4 to make picks for a couple of hours.

19. Ingromius

Ingromius Member

Feb 3, 2000
    NW London
    I should be pretty reliably available for the next couple weeks -- certainly to get through a draft anyway. Some days I won't be able to check in until early evening my time, but that would be early afternoon EST so I imagine it wouldn't create much problem.

Also happy to send proxies at bed time each night to keep things moving -- as Jay noted there's plenty of talent to go around.

20. djangone

djangone Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Los Feliz
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My brother is a definite no go, as expected.

21. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Two number one picks? Will he go for Ronaldo again???

Just need a little time to do a little bit of research, can post my pick later today... problem is that site is firewalled for me at work and I havent seen the player list yet. If someone could forward me the player list, then I'm glad to get the ball rolling in the afternoon.

I'm reliable to be around during work hours, but I may be missing now and then after work hours.

22. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    How about you trade me the first pick so we can release "Transfer Gate II - Now Its Global"

23. Hal

Hal Member+

Sep 9, 1999
    Here and ready to make my picks for the next 90 minutes. Coach Ralph, let's get this started.

24. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    I just PM'd wiggum a few lists of the top/priciest strikers, mids, defenders. If he checks in, that should be enough for him to at least make his first pick. I couldn't find where the full player lists were, and I don't have his email anyway, so I couldn't have forwarded anything.

25. Hal

Hal Member+

Sep 9, 1999
    I'm heading out to the DC United game. I've PMed Jay my cell phone. If he can't reach me, he has two proxy picks from me so I won't hold up Round 1.

Hopefully, he can reach me at the game and I'll tell him who I want after he tells me who has been selected.

If that doesn't work, I should be home around 10 PM EDT and ready to draft.

Hal
    Manager of the Aviators