2007 Attendance Prediction Contest, Week 22

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by patfan1, Aug 27, 2007.

1. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching the Columbus game looks like there's 2,000 at the game, I'm sure there going to annouce the attendance at 13,000.

And what's the deal with the football lines.

2. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    They lease out to High School football. At least, that is what I read on the game thread.

I thought there were more like 3,500 at the game.... There were some fans that the camera didn't show. I think that the Columbus organization should stop handing out free tickets in Cleveland and concentrate on their community instead.:D

3. houstondynamofan

houstondynamofan Red Card

May 7, 2006
    houston,tx
    They still haven't released the number. I guess they are trying to figure out what lie they can get away with.

4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm ready to post the results of Week 22, but as of 11am Munich time (5 am ET), they still haven't finished counting that massive crowd that was in Columbus. :rolleyes:

5. lawrenceterp

lawrenceterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Virginia
  6. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they annouce 16,000 for that game, that would be the biggest joke of the year.

7. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about 16,000, but I'd say in the 11-13K range. Unlike some attendance "experts" here :rolleyes: I was at the damn game. So to once again explain, there are the usual crowd of people who choose to stand at the top of the lower half, outside the conession areas. And there probably were a few clucks that were hiding under the stands from the heat.

8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd probably agree with you. I just hope they don't announce it as 16k, the league has done a pretty good job this year of keeping the numbers seemingly factual. This would be a bad one...

9. RedBulls225

RedBulls225 New Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The Columbus Dispatch said the attendance was 16,036

10. lawrenceterp

lawrenceterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Virginia
    Is it possible that this was part of a Beckham ticket package? Maybe they sold that many tickets but only 12-13k showed up.

11. houstondynamofan

May 7, 2006
    houston,tx
    And people wonder why nobody takes these numbers seriously. :rolleyes: You got to be kidding.

12. lawrenceterp

lawrenceterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Virginia
    Read my last post which is probably on the previous page.... Maybe they actually sold that many tickets as part of a package plan for the Galaxy game. If that's the case, there is absolutely nothing wrong with them listing that number as the official attendance.

13. houstondynamofan

May 7, 2006
    houston,tx
    12-13K? Yeah right. Then there was 28k in Houston and 25k in Giants stadium the other night. That's shameful that they would announce that number and it gives the critics a ton of ammuntion to bash the league on the announced numbers.

14. RedBulls225

RedBulls225 New Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Or maybe the cameras just didn't show where all the people were at

15. lawrenceterp

lawrenceterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Virginia
    OK. Why the anger? Relax. I just posted a thread in the Columbus forum. Lets see if my guess about the ticket package is right. If not, then they probably fudged it. Not the end of the world.

16. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bullshit 16,036 in attendance at that game. That would make the stadium 3/4 full, no way that stadium was 3/4 full (That's including all the fans on the concourse). It wasn't part of the Beckham package, the only games left in the Beckham package is the Beckham game and the 10/6 game against FC Dallas, so they can't use the Beckham excuse.

17. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were a lot of people searching for shade yesterday at Crew Stadium. I saw a few people who required help from the paramedics from the heat. (I think a lot of folks just weren't prepared for heat like that in September.) The top few rows of the west side were packed (since the upper deck provided a bit of shade) and there were quite a few people standing underneath the scoreboard. And the lady who sits next to me didn't even sit in a seat at all. She and her husband spent the entire game under the stands watching on one of the tv's by the concession area.

This might sound insane, but there was some sort of African nations cup match after the reserve game that people bought separate tickets for. I'd guess about 300 or 400 folks showed up, and I wonder if they got added in too.

As for 16K, that sounds rather unbelieveable. Although I did notice a FAR larger than average number of schoolbuses in the parking lot, so I suppose it's possible that the Crew "distributed" a lot more tickets to schools and underpriveledged youth organizations than usual. In fact, that's probably the most likely explanation. With all those extra schoolbuses in the parking lot, it's only logical to assume that there was also an equally extra large number of unused tickets that got sent to those places.

18. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh?
    EVERY game was in the Beckham package. It was a 3-game package. You got the LA game plus any other 2 games of your choosing.

But I don't think Beckham tickets were the cause of the inflated attendance yesterday. I'm pretty sure there were a lot more tickets given to youth organizations than usual.

19. houstondynamofan

May 7, 2006
    houston,tx
    They closed your thread over there.

20. lawrenceterp

lawrenceterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Virginia
    Yeah. That's silly. I guess they're a bit defensive. Oh well.