The 2023 U-16 Player Pool Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by David Kerr, Jan 2, 2022.

1. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would expect the roster for the 2007’s camp to drop in the upcoming days, the camp starts on the 7th in Chula Vista

2. ynwa.66

ynwa.66 Member

Dec 20, 2021
    gogorath repped this.
  3. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would’ve liked to see Cooper Flannery called up from us as well but Aaron deserves the call up, he’s a good player

4. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we think Axel Kei gets called in?

5. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m doubtful on it for non soccer reasons. But he’s the best striker in that group based on current performance

TheFalseNine repped this.
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Players I believe will be there. Always a chance a few don’t make it. There will also be more players.

Owen Anderson, SJE
    Dylan Auffret, LAFC
    Drew Baiera, NYCFC
    Maximo Carrizo, NYCFC, '08
    Carlos Castrejon, RSL
    Zavier Gozo, RSL
    Aaron Hurge, Crew
    Stiven Jimenez, FCC
    Kellan LeBlanc, Union, '08
    Kyrome Lumsden, LAFC
    David Lora, RSL
    Ryan MacClary, Nashville SC
    Zach Mastrodimos, Union
    Christian McFarlane, NYCFC, pro
    Rohan Rajagopal, SJE
    Ruben Ramos Jr., LAG
    Charlie Rosenthal, LAFC
    Josh Santiago, LAFC
    Gavin Turner, DCU
    Kristian Villalobos, LAFC
    Nate Worth, NYRB

Luksarus and Winoman repped this.
  7. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be really disappointing for the state of our country if there is not one 14 year old that is good enough to make the youth national team camp that isn’t at an MLS academy. The 2006’s had quite a few that were called in

derrick mize and Winoman repped this.
  8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could it be they start with MLS clubs since it's a very young group and they probably have less scouts covering it? Add more players as they get older and they have a baseline.

SoCalRedDevil repped this.
  9. SoCalRedDevil

SoCalRedDevil Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 8, 2020
    That and I’ve noticed more of a drive from parents to be at an MLS Academy and in the MLS Next vs the drive to be in the DA. With the DA, it felt like everyone just wanted to be on any DA team. Now, it’s MLS Academy or bust. Evidence is even the number of SoCal kids on the list who are at non SoCal MLS Academies rather than staying at their traditional quality producing club.
    My point is parent driven consolidation of young talent could also be an issue.

10. manutd02

manutd02 Member

Oct 23, 2002
    There is at least 1 player that I am aware of

11. SoCalRedDevil

SoCalRedDevil Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 8, 2020
    TFA in SoCal has an 07 invited.

12. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are 6 non MLS academy players in the camp

13. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *5 players, forgot Max Lora Araux moved to RSL

14. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
  15. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All three 08’s are deserving

16. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Well, I figured that. More just curious on style, if any are really, really big prospects, etc.

You know, hype train stuff for a 14 year old.

17. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All three are

18. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Norcal has 5, Socal has 6. Representative of talent or a bit biased because of the location (Chula Vista) in COVID-heavy times?

Most of the non-MLS players are from California, excepting one from a Houston team.

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Not going to go through every name, as there are a few I haven't seen play and a few I don't rate. However, this would be my main takeaways.

Keepers: Need to see more of Auffret. He's certainly a prospect though. Jaimes I don't mind, but very fringe prospect.

Defenders: The big name here is the RB Drew Baiera. One of the top players in the age group, in my estimation. I like Castrejon, Gonzalez, Nobles, Nystrom, and Santiago all, to an extent. Austin is another player I believe I rate, but I think he is one of the Miami U-15's that I couldn't mention because I lacked full roster info. Ridiculous that something like that even is being said.

Midfielders: It's hard to look past Carrizo as the big storyline here. A lot of people think this kid is going to be really good. He's probably the best prospect at this camp, and most of the kids there are a year older than him. Diminutive left-footed playmaker. I would say the second biggest story is Nate Worth. One of the top '07 midfielders, in what is a pretty weak midfield age group. Reminds me of James Ward-Prowse to how he plays the game. There are some other kids I like here. Hurge is pretty good. I've only seen him play once or twice. Reminded me a little of Brooklyn Raines. Kerr would know his game much better. Santiago Morales has some potential. Owen Anderson and Braxton Hayes aren't bad prospects. LeBlanc is one of the better 08's. Similar style to Carrizo. He's not Carrizo, but I would doubt there are 10 better 08's than him. There may not be 5.

Forwards: The big name here is Justin Ellis. Glad to see this kid being recognized. For me, the top '07 right now. A big CF that does just about everything well other than he's a little slow. I believe he's of Uruguayan heritage. Hard to look past Cavani as a comparison.

I've only seen Berchimas once. I would say he's the third best of the three 08's here, and I wouldn't say I think he's spectacular, but a good prospect, nonetheless. Turner is an interesting player. He's a #10 with a very high soccer IQ. Miller is a player I don't mind, but I find him to be more of a fullback than winger. Gozo is a complete winger with very good athleticism. Veillard is probably more of a fullback eventually. Good at progressing the ball and athletic. Soccer IQ isn't bad. Not a lot of real dangerous attacking skills. Rosenthal is a pace merchant CF. May be the top '07 in that very deep LAFC age group. I'm not sure yet, but he'd be no worse than 2nd or 3rd for me.

Winoman and gogorath repped this.
  20. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Thanks so much!

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  21. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hurge is the second best 8 for me at the camp behind Nathan worth

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Pl@ymaker, xbhaskarx and Winoman repped this.
  23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I didn't think we could do it, but we managed to find a fourth USYNT way of spelling the name.................

Kellen Gulley
    Kellyn Acosta
    Kelyn Rowe
    Kellan LeBlanc

Impressive. That's some real progress.

Thinking of Kellen Gulley always brings on a tinge of sadness.

24. ynwa.66

ynwa.66 Member

Dec 20, 2021
    What kind of tournaments does this group (odd birth year) participate in? Do they have to wait until u20 for a major tournament?