2006 World Cup: Semi-Finals - Portugal x France [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Força Sporting, Jul 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    [​IMG] X [​IMG]

Wednesday, July 5, 2006 @ 20:00 GMT / 3:00 pm EST.

Locale: Allianz Arena, München (Munich).

Match statistics:

Portugal's all-time record against France: 5 wins, 3 ties, 13 losses.
    Portugal's biggest win: 4-0.
    Portugal's biggest loss: 4-0.

All-time results:

2001/04/25 - International Friendly - France 4-0 Portugal
    2000/06/28 - Euro 2000 (Belgium/Holland) - Portugal 1-1 (1-2 aet) France
    1997/01/22 - International Friendly - Portugal 0-2 France
    1996/01/24 - International Friendly - France 3-2 Portugal
    1984/06/23 - Euro 1984 (France) - France 1-1 (3-2 ap) Portugal
    1983/02/16 - International Friendly - Portugal 0-3 France
    1978/03/08 - International Friendly - France 2-0 Portugal
    1975/04/26 - International Friendly - France 0-2 Portugal
    1973/03/03 - International Friendly - France 1-2 Portugal
    1959/11/11 - International Friendly - France 5-3 Portugal
    1957/03/24 - International Friendly - Portugal 0-1 France
    1952/04/20 - International Friendly - France 3-0 Portugal
    1947/11/23 - International Friendly - Portugal 2-4 France
    1947/03/23 - International Friendly - France 1-0 Portugal
    1946/04/14 - International Friendly - Portugal 2-1 France
    1940/01/28 - International Friendly - France 3-2 Portugal
    1930/02/23 - International Friendly - Portugal 2-0 France
    1929/03/24 - International Friendly - France 2-0 Portugal
    1928/04/29 - International Friendly - France 1-1 Portugal
    1927/03/16 - International Friendly - Portugal 4-0 France
    1926/04/18 - International Friendly - France 4-2 Portugal

2. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Okay, folks - threads' now open for business :D

As you can see, Portugal has not had much success against France over the years. Portugal has been bounced in the semi's at Euros twice against France (both after 90 minutes, once in extra time in 2000, and the other in PK's in 1984) - could this be a bad sign for Portugal, or will the spell be broken in this edition of the WC? We'll find out on Wednesday...

3. El Ardillo

El Ardillo New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Delaware
    YAY for broken spells...

it'd be the best thing in the world if we won the WC. portugal could say that its world class and not be scoffed at by fools.

i was on another forum, and i was told that the portuguese team is 'too violent and fakes fouls" this was said in comparison to the Italians. can someone please make me feel better by bringing in ethnic slurs?:p

seriously, though, why does england and italy have a sort of mystique? they aren't that good, atleast, no better than portugal. right?

4. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Tough game. I'd be more relaxed if this was the quarter-final, and France still played like France. They've risen to the occasion of late and have taken their chances well. A tough game no doubt, and once again, the biggest match in the lives of our players. An interesting match-up no doubt with many difficulties.

Weak-link in France's armor is definitely Abidal on the left side, so we should look to see Ronaldo attempt to capitalize there.

I also think it's crucial to get the game to Pauleta, because he knows how to beat Barthez with a shot, so I think Deco's performance could mean a lot for us, and against Vieira and Makelele, we know it won't be easy.

Defensively, it'll be something new for Henry, because he plays to take advantage of the offside-trap, and so far this tournament he's had his share of fortune and misfortune. Zidane will be tough to stop too, and I'm sure he'll be putting in a big effort, Ribery also very dangerous. I think Gallas in the middle is maybe not as strong as Sagnol, lacks a bit of pace, his heading isn't the greatest either, but he's a big-fighter. Not much into the easiest clearance of the ball, sometimes complicates things more than he should. A great player none-the-less. Malouda I don't know as much about, but we have players who can give information about him and the rest of the players from the French League (Tiago, Pauleta, Postiga).

Expect the worst and hope for the best... :eek:

5. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Incorrect. In 1984, Platini scored with just over a minute to play in extra-time to end up winning 3-2.

I think if we get an early start to things, we will optimize our chances, but we have to hold strong for 90 minutes.

6. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    This will be a mountain to climb..

I hope for two things

1. Portugal win

2. Carvahlo does not get a second yellow card that would see him miss the final
    and have Portugal potentially lining up against Italy or Germany on July 9th
    with VALENTE MEIRA CANEIRA/COSTA MIGUEL as the defense:( :(

7. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yes, you are right. The "ap" is short for após prolongamento, not after penalties. It's late and I am exhausted... :eek:

8. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Petit will miss the match after receiving his second yellow in the knock-out phase against England.

Nuno Valente, Figo, Maniche, Ricardo and Carvalho all have a yellow card, meaning a yellow in the match against France will make them ineligible for the WC Final, should Portugal make it there, or the 3rd/4th Place match...

9. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Goodluck guys, with Brasil out... i'm cheering for Portugal to take the cup

10. KhaNArTisT

KhaNArTisT New Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Back in Toronto Esse
    Revenge time for us.

If a certain member of our defence gets a yellow card (i wont mention any names as to not jinx it) then we may be quite fudged over for the next game.

is it just me or was petit's passing HORRIBLE for most of the first half? with costinha and maniche and tiago (french experience) im not worried about loosing petit.

Pauleta is definetly a must, i expect to see him for 90 mins as opposed to the last game where we took him off right where we needed him.

where the hell is nuno?!?! lets not forget the cracker he scored against barthez in euro 2000 :eek:

11. Reis710

Reis710 New Member

May 20, 2006
    Hamilton
    i dont know about this, this world cup everyone has been talking about revenge... the dutch english adn brazilians and it has all gone the same way as in the past.. and if tradtion will continure we wont be going to the finals... lets hope we can change it....FORCA PORTUGAL

12. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Can Costinha keep himself in check?

I mean, his second yellow could've come even earlier than it did against Holland.

I'm actually most worried about that. I think otherwise Portugal will play very well and will win as long as it doesn't beat itself.

Outside shooting and following up the rebound will be key against Barthez--the man just doesn't hang onto the ball.

13. castanha

castanha New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Did Brazil play that bad or was France that good? Did anybody else notice that Barthez didn't have to make a save until around the 88th minute? I guess it really doesn't matter. Portugal will have their hands full and then some against France. But so will they. With Deco back, that should open up our offesne. Anybody else think that Tiago should play instead of Costinha?

14. parkben1

parkben1 Member

Feb 18, 2006
    brooklyn
    Portugal need to cross the ball in the box as much as possible. Barthez always jump out and at times misjudge those crosses. Barthez and Ricardo have alot in common they are both great shot stoppers, but are weak on crosses.

15. parkben1

parkben1 Member

Feb 18, 2006
    brooklyn
    It's going to be tough, but Portugal need to be patient and don't make any mistakes in the back. France and Portugal are very similar teams in the way that they play,but the only difference is the age factor. Hopefully, a combination of being overconfident and tired might help Portugal sneak a win..

16. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    IMO we can throw out statistics for this match.

Key again, is how will Portugal defend off set pieces, they done good, but not great. Ricardo has gotten better off corners, and is coming out puching the ball well. I doubt wether Portugal will make the mistake Brasil made, and not mark Henry. :rolleyes:

Another key is how will Valente do against their young RW, but he'll have plenty of help from Costinha. Look for him to washout that embarrasing display versus Holland.

17. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I don't know about all that. We didn't mark Lampard on of the the corners where he got a clean look at it, but just bounced it completely over the net.

18. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Those damn Frenchies. I predict a 2-0 France win because they are Late Bloomers in thw WC.

Gomes needs to start over Pauleta. Pauleta needs to retire because he isn't doing anything on the pitch. He needs more support, But how is Scolari Going to do that?

19. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    Now let's compare it to the earlier games, they are definitely getting better, and better off set pieces. So be optmistic, we'll do just fine.:rolleyes:

Last minute miracle at work, and I'm off to Portugal this afternoon, and join the nation in the celebration. :D

I was too young in '66 to remember anything, but now it's a different story. This morning I woke up with my 12 yr old playing the Portuguese national anthem on his computer, can't think of a better way to wake up.

See you all back here after we win what shoul've been ours in '66.

20. KhaNArTisT

KhaNArTisT New Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Back in Toronto Esse

Jec we have shared some laughs in the past, and ur a stand up guy. but this has got to be without a shadow of a doubt, the absolute dumbest thing i have ever read in my time at these boards. and i sincerely hope you were being sarcastic :rolleyes:

21. azorean

azorean Member

Feb 26, 2006
    uma grande cidade
    OMG......if ever there was a perfect setup for a Portugal win against france it would be here, not saying it is gonna happen but if anyone has watched sports for a long stretch they will know what i am talkign about.....a team comes in after beating another heavily favoured team and has a quick turnaround against another opponent they feel is inferior and the psychological result is that they end up underestimating this next opponent somewhat and invariably have a noticeable letdown in play...( this happens all the time in the NBA, NHL, and yes, in , soccer )....I know this is the WC sem-finals and the 'letdown ' theory is probably not applicable here but it is hard to fight human nature and after taking out the Lion which is Brasil i would assume they have to have some sort of letdown , and with everyone now patting them on the back and saying how good they are/were and how it would seem only natural that they should steamroll over portugal if they beat brasil after all...well...something tells me before they find out what hit them they will realize they are in deep on wednesday and that it will not be easy for them.....Portugal should relish this roll, they have exceeded expectations already and basically can go out there carefree and play loose as the underdog, they have a full squad, and they have a team as an opponent who is coming in on a real high but that is underestimating them, perfect setup !.....Another factor is fatigue, i don't know how much of a disparity there is in avergae age of both teams but some of those french guys are ancient, can they summon the juice necessary to play all out 3 days after taking care of the wc favorite, this alone would surely suggest france is due for minor letdown......Sure, France may still win and they may play even better than they did vs brasil or it may go as i lay out here where they will play a couple notches below their preformance yesterday BUT what i am talkign about here is the intangibles leading up to this game, specifically the way it has shaped up with france slaying the lion only to conceivably find out the kitten is just as ferocious, the underestimation of portugal, portugal in the underdog roll, players comign back for portugal to make full sqaud ...etc....WOW, i would take portugals position over france's right now any day of the week...Nothing to lose now boys, pressure's off, GO ALL OUT !!!!!!

22. Reis710

Reis710 New Member

May 20, 2006
    Hamilton
    he doesnt hang on to the ball but his saves are unbelievable..

23. Reis710

Reis710 New Member

May 20, 2006
    Hamilton

my friend pauleta has gotten no support or rarely any balls played into him... you cant blame him for not scoring when he doesnt have the ball.

24. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think we need one from Pauleta and Ronaldo now. Thier time has come to score a goal in this tournament.

25. KhaNArTisT

KhaNArTisT New Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Back in Toronto Esse

Its a real morale booster for the team when Pauleta or Ronaldo scores a good goal. Even better if Figo scores but well take what we get.