2006 World Cup: Quarter-Finals - Portugal x England [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Força Sporting, Jun 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Tiago was confused. If you were in the same situation, You would do the same.

We often criticise these players. But these are our Heros who give it there all, Our Defense has Impressed, even without Andrade. That's a compliment.

2. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Everyone at my work is asking about Miguel. They think he is amazing :D

3. azorean

azorean Member

Feb 26, 2006
    uma grande cidade
    Hey jec, not being critical man....VIVA PORTUGAL !!!!!.....I just found it amusing when i read that comment ealier that someone was thinking along the same lines when they seen the Tiago play unfold...I had a flashback to those nervous moments where a goal at that moment would of spelled RELIEF ! for all of us and i mentally visualized all of us yelling SHOOOOOT ! wherever we were , and tiago shaking like a bowl of jello :)

4. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Tiago is starting to progress. He Just needs to start, I can see replacing Costinha.

5. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He is my Favorite player next to Deco. Deco is so Underrated, He has the skills to break loose.

Btw Vic, I Fixed my Computer. Thanx For the help:D

6. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ever since Euro 2004 Miguel has been crazy. This guy plays the RB DEFENSIVE positions...and someone ends up EVERYWHERE on the god damn field. He runs like a madman...he would take a bullet for Portugal.

Miguel is making the starting RB of Chelsea sit on the bench.

7. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Miguel is AMAZING he takes players like Robben out of the game

plus Miguel is fast and can attack up the wing

I wish I had a Miguel Portugal jersey or a Miguel Valencia Jersey he
    is amazing.

8. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Van Bommel opens trap
    http://www.record.pt/noticia.asp?id=712459&idCanal=832

Yeah, Portugal's team isn't scary at all. In fact, Holland were so not scared of Portugal that they didn't end up having to resort to crunching tackles to bring out our temper. Van Bommel... kid stuff really, the way he went down after the headbutt was just funny, I personally laughed at the guy for buying himself a call the reff didn't even see. Amazing.

9. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
  10. SouLeao

SouLeao Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Toronto
    Yes, azorean, that was me that made the comment. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who felt the same thing. Tiago's reaction reminded me of a 15-year old boy who sees his girlfriend in her bra and undies for the first time -- wants to score so bad but doesn't know how to find the twine.

Regarding the Ronaldo situation, I think Scolari should leave him on the bench -- fit or not. Start Tiago in the middle with Figo and Simao on the wings, then bring in Ronaldo after an hour to run the English into the ground.

11. El Ardillo

El Ardillo New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Delaware
    i think thats a pretty good strategy. ronaldo should be subbed in if he's needed.

...but i'm really nervous about this match. i'm generally feeling optimistic, but i just can't see how its gonna be, which is tense. england hasnt been playing well, imo, at all this tournie. it seems to me as though they're playing half-assed. i hope they keep it up, b/c if they play the way they've beem playing it'll be great for us.

whether or not that happens still remains to be seen. i hope we do well, but it will be difficult. has anyone seen the odds for bets of the match? i always like to look at those. any word on the favorite to win? i'm not a gambling man, but it'd be nice to know....:p

12. PAUL SILVA

PAUL SILVA New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Miguel has without a doubt been our best player to date. Forget his spirited runs up the right, how many balls has he won? he outclassed Robben on several occasions. It's also nice to see the Maniche of old. His play has been key in the midfield as Deco has been so-so. Carvalho has been a rock and Meira has looked impressive. We've only suffered 1 goal! Scolari has been amazing...he stood up the whole second half yelling instructions to his players and there is a chemistry between him and the players that I've never seen before on any Portuguese team.

I never thought I would be on these boards praising Ricardo, but he has been exceptional and is showing alot of leadership out there. Figo needs to step it up and Petit can play better also.

Personally, I would start two strikers vs England (Pauleta and Gomes) and move Figo into Deco's spot with Ronaldo and Simao on the wings. Petit and Maniche would complete the midfield. If we get a lead take Pauleta out and bring in Tiago. Enlgand has been a little shakey on D at times. We should go all out and try to get the early lead. We have been tremendous with a lead.

Even without Deco and Costinha we still stand a very good chance against a very talented English side. It will be tough, but Portugal are on a mission! They look as though they will do anything to win and I'm hoping their great team spirit led by the inspirational play of Miguel will get us through on Saturday.
    Forca Portugal!!!!!!!!:)

13. PAUL SILVA

PAUL SILVA New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    It's too early for the Odds on this game although they are probably out there somewhere. It will all depend on the status of Ronaldo, if he's out come Saturday the odds will definitely reflect that. A healthy portugal vs England would be Even odds or slight edge to Portugal.

14. Forever-Sporting

Forever-Sporting New Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Ronaldo has said that he'd like to act as a second striker and he is known for his close passing so why not have him play in decos place. i know hes fast and we need his skill on the wings, but i can picture him giving terry and his buddy ferdinand a headache when he drives up the middle. just food for thought.

all assuming hes healthy.

15. ohou

ohou New Member

Jun 22, 2003
    glendale, ca
    I believe you forgot to take the history of Germany and Poland in context, especially given what happen between the two teams during WWII. As someone who is of Chinese descent, I would label any player with Chinese descent a traitor if he (or she) plays for any Japanese national team.

16. ohou

ohou New Member

Jun 22, 2003
    glendale, ca
    After watching the EURO and this WC, it is pretty evident that Scolari isn't one who will try new tactics, especially in the middle of the knockout rounds... He is going to get bench players to fill Costina's and Deco's roles (Petit and Tiago, respectively), and not move Figo to the middle. What is worth spectulating is who Scolari will trust off the bench. There are no more players that can play the trinco available on the bench and I have no idea what Scolari would do if we have a lead. Perhaps he could put Feierra in and move Miguel to the right wing?

17. alfredo1

alfredo1 New Member

Jun 20, 2006
    germany

me too... hahaha:D

but i have to say, that if he takes decos place, i don't think it's too bad. a very, very big responsability but he can do it. in lyon he does it as well...

18. alfredo1

alfredo1 New Member

Jun 20, 2006
    germany

miguel plays the RIGHT ;) side already... ferreira normally does as well, but he can also play on the left and i think this might be the better decision if i think about beckham or lennon coming from the right...
    i agree with you that it might be worth trying tiago as playmaker...

19. alfredo1

alfredo1 New Member

Jun 20, 2006
    germany
    HEROIS DO MAR, NOBRE POVO, NACAO VALENTE E IMMORTAL...

i think its time to chant for our team and back them whatever comes along. i'm having a feeling that it's time for something great to come!

20. mshankb

mshankb Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah but your man said right WING, not right back.

21. mshankb

mshankb Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ? Do you seriously believe any of this?

22. mshankb

mshankb Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Deco's second yellow was for picking the ball up and preventing the free-kick being taken. This is very clear and frankly unarguable. We'll not even mention that he should have got a straight red card for the first tackle.

Figo should have got a 3 match ban. Shame the awful referee booked him already when he didn't even see it.

23. mshankb

mshankb Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well then... you're an idiot.

Portugal vs England should be a great game, either team could come out on top. But if Ronaldo plays, he will get no success - Ashley Cole will own him at the back and Joe Cole will enjoy massive freedom going forward. For me, the key players are Simao, Miguel, Carvahlo and Ricardo. Good luck guys!

24. Mike123

Mike123 New Member

May 1, 2006
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Joe Cole will enjoy massive freedom going foward? LOLOLOL

I heard the same about Robben, and how he was gonna to rip our defense apart. Look what happened: Miguel shut him down. Against Joe Cole it will not be different:p

25. SVENSBIGHEN

SVENSBIGHEN New Member

Jun 27, 2006
    Let's face it - we are going to get revenge on Saturday. Cheated out of the Euro 04 championship by a paid referee (Sol Campebell winner) so our time is now. Deco out as well. What a shame. Good luck....!