2006 World Cup: Quarter-Finals - Portugal x England [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Força Sporting, Jun 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike123

Mike123 New Member

May 1, 2006
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Somebody still has to tell me what was Ronaldo's mighty plan to get Rooney sent off. Did he get Carvalho under Rooney and forced him to stomp on his balls? Or did he asked Rooney to push him like a madman? Or maybe Ronaldo asked the referee gently to give a red card?:rolleyes:

The ref gave red card to avoid a Holland vs Portugal esque-situation. Rooney was a loose cannon.

2. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Re: Random Thoughts on the WC [R]

LMAO....seeing as most of Canada likes the EPL and ENG, I bet you got a lot of nasty looks. I respect your insane courage.

3. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    :confused:

If the ref wanted to avoid that sort of situation then surely he would have whistled for the fouls on Rooney by Carvalho and Petit (I think it was him). Ref does that, Rooney doesn't stamp Carvalho and the game continues with 11 v 11.

And why was Rooney a "loose cannon"? Before the stamp he'd done nothing to deserve such a title.

4. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Maybe in this match, but you must admit that he is a bit of a hothead and his mouth has gotten him booted when he was needed by MUFC.

5. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    Not really - Rooney's made great strides on managing his temper over the past 12 months for Man U. Sure he blows now and again but when a player runs on emotion as much as Rooney does then he's going to cross the line now and again - Vieira did it for Arsenal in the same way Keane did it for Man U.

Considering the pressure the kid was under in the build up to the World Cup and then having that c0ck Sven play him in a position that was guaranteed to wind him up and frustrate him the end result was hardly a surprise. He's only 20...

6. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I agree that his temper has improved but his reputation for losing it is still there and it cost him. I personally don't think Rooney was trying to stomp on Carvalho's privates but he was trying to use his foot to push/stomp him away and he just happened to get him there. If he controlled himself in that moment, the ref would have rewarded him a free kick because he was being fouled.

7. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I know you love MUFC and you make many valid points about emotional players, but this is the WORLD CUP! Someone on ENG should have had a leash on the young lad if he is 20 and can't control himself. I think Rooney believes that he is THAT great already.

8. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    Don't agree - there was no way the ref could have been playing advantage, he was being sandwiched by two players and Carvalho was pulling him down. If the ref was going to blow for a foul he'd have done it well before Rooney stamped.

I agree Rooney still has a reputation - it's just a shame he didn't go down when he first got fouled then all this wouldn't have happened and we'd have been able to see the teams play on an equal footing.

9. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    So what if it's the World Cup - players should just box up their emotions? Which part of my earlier post did you not understand - he can control himself and is improving all the time. What difference does a players opinion of how good they are make to their game? (assuming of course that you are right that Rooney has that opinion of himself which is contrary to the clear inference in all his interviews)

10. CR7!

CR7! New Member

May 19, 2005
  11. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    It won't matter. The fans hate him and he'll have to go. The question is where? The only clubs that can spend that kind of money are Man UTD themselves, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Madrid, Barcelona, AC Milan, and Juventus.

He can't go to another English club and Juventus are screwed. That leaves only 3 teams with that kind of cash and they may not even want him. United will get low offers because Ronaldo ran up to the ref and let Rooney gently shove him :D

12. El Ardillo

El Ardillo New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Delaware
    they do this all the time, ping-pong the 'i wanna leave, help, save me!' and the 'no, i love Man U, i wanna marry it'.

he's better off in spain. the english have never regarded him as one of their own and he's always second to the english stars. now they have a reason to hate him and his time is, thusly, over.

....and its about time.

13. Figo Rules

Figo Rules Member

Apr 20, 2005
    Toronto

Toronto FC:D

14. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I forgot Dynamo Moscow :)

15. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    Corrected.

You really have no idea why he winked or even who he was winking at. Maybe he was winking at Terry...we all know Terry would love to take Ronaldo out. We have seen it before in the ManU Chelsea matches.

Maybe he was winking at his friends or girlfriend.

To say that they planned on getting Rooney kicked out is f-ing ridiculous. There is no way that the Portugal team could have planned making Rooney stomp on Carvalhos nuts. The little shrek bitch did that himself. Ronaldo did what every other person in the world would have done had the same happened to their team: Appeal to the ref...who had yet to call a foul or card anybody. Even the English were doing the exact same thing at the time, trying to get Carvalho and Petit carded.

16. El Ardillo

El Ardillo New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Delaware
    ...not according to the video in the multi-media thread. the BBC sports people said, "we english never run up to the ref like that"

they also said, "rooney was being tenacious, he was trying his best"

17. Figo Rules

Figo Rules Member

Apr 20, 2005
    Toronto

I can't remember which of the ex-England players said it, but it was hilarious when he asked, "Are we too honest?"

18. CR7!

CR7! New Member

May 19, 2005
    lol, it was shearer.

19. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    its priceless. But I can understand thier grief, just not thier common-sense.

20. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    'honest' is clearly the wrong word, but the question is quite valid.

let me put it this way:

there's an old saying that says "every nation has it's drug of choice"; and that it's often rationalized by simply denying that it's a drug. in the US, for example, it's alcohol. it's not difficult to envision a nineteenth century englishman saying "don't be daft, tea is NOT a drug!".

anyway, in the same vein, i'd suggest that every nation has it's method of cheating at football of choice. the key, of course, is that if consensus is reached on it's validity, then it's quite simple to conclude that it's not cheating, at all - subjective acceptability. so if the english decide to agree that "it's a man's game", and allow a physicality that is beyond how the rest of the world views the game, then it cannot be shocking when others, who are on the receiving end of such roughness, accuse them of being cheaters. conversely, when gus poyet arrived in england from uruguay, he says, he learned very quickly that the very kind of diving that he'd been taught at home would make him unacceptable in england as a footballer - this coming from his own english club.

so what you have is a kind of subjective acceptability, and conversely, a subjective definition of cheating. so when shearer says "are we too honest", he's really just asking if they should try to view the game in the same manner as do some others. it's no different than if a portuguese player should ask "are we too honest" when suggesting that they should put a bit more muscle to their opponents.

one could suggest the scolari answered that very question in the affirmative when he was at club level in brazil. his teams hammered the opposition like mad. the difference was that they were fouls in brazil, where much of it would have been 'man's football' in england. and he was pilloried for it, as it was not the beautiful game that is expected in that country.

so are england 'too honest'? well, by others' standards of 'honesty', it's a laughable question. but if you replace the word 'honest' with 'commited to our view of the game', it's a very valid question.

21. El Ardillo

El Ardillo New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Delaware
    ...wow. that post was intellectual and philosophical.

you get a rep!

22. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well said, often the English fans complain about not enough English players on a side...well look at the clubs in the Prem with all UK players, fighting it out for relegation. You can't demand your league to be the best and have the best talent and ONLY have English players.

23. Figo Rules

Figo Rules Member

Apr 20, 2005
    Toronto

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but do English people turn up their nose and leave the stadium when Michael Owen, for example, dives? At the last WC, Michael Owen dove Against ARG to win a penalty. Was Michael Owen taken to task? Was there a day of mourning? Or was it forgotten in the hysteria of Beckham's PK and vengeance against the hated Argies?

This whole argument devolves into a "Yeah, we do it, but not as much as you guys do". A weak defense if I ever heard one.

Another is the "The foreigners have influenced us. They made us divers!"
    Another good one.:rolleyes:

24. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    Do you mean cheat his way into drawing a foul by falling down? How dare you even think of bringing the cheating aspect into the English game! :rolleyes:

25. deco_#10

deco_#10 Member

Mar 22, 2004
    Montreal
    yeah kind of like the way he "cheated" vs. Arsenal to finish thier unbeaten record... However when Rooney cheats he's a hero, when portuguese cheat they're dispicable....