2006 World Cup: Quarter-Finals - Portugal x England [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Força Sporting, Jun 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El Ardillo

El Ardillo New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Delaware
    and he was unavoidably russian...

2. parkben1

parkben1 Member

Feb 18, 2006
    brooklyn
    The new Pete Sampras...

3. El Ardillo

El Ardillo New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Delaware
    oh my God, i dunno why i ever left. this forum is hilarious

4. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Traitorous sons? Hahahaha, you crack me up!

Yup, I'm right!!! England is WAY inferior to Portugal. But take it easy on the yellows and reds this time, ok? Go Portugal, I'm rooting for you all the way!!

Unless you play Germany, then you're on your own.

5. Portugallia

Portugallia BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 9, 2005
    Let me see, it's going to be Portugal B - team against an England (aka foul) team with the refs, FIFA and the big money sponsors (aka the Beckham kaballa) on its side.

Should be a breeze.

At this rate...we'll be fielding our under 16s if we ever make it to the finals against Brazil.

6. El Ardillo

El Ardillo New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Delaware
    look man, those two blokes were born in poland which means they had polish mothers.

i know polish mothers. they dont let you forget about the homeland unless she's some kind of leechy slut who is ashamed of her homeland. in that case, they can't be blamed, because its the mothers who failed.

...could be the fathers too. if they were the alcoholic, wife-beating type...but this isnt about polish family structure..:p

7. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Charming, are you Polish? Hahahahaha!

I still say they're more German than Polish. No matter what kinda sluts their mothers were ... and how their alcoholic fathers beat them.

I heard Figo has some Albanian blood in him.

:D

8. geeko79

geeko79 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    Toronto
    apparently the ref from todays game is being blackballed!!!....I'll be in new bedford Mass for next saturday's tilt...should be fun!!

9. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Strange post. I came in to wish you all a good match.

Funny that you'd think England are a foul team, we have the lowest amount of fouls and yellow cards. While you guys are making World Cup history...:)
    and I believe that Figo's fee was higher than Becks.

We have the ugly game down pat now, so it might not be the breeze you think it will be.
    We'll score first and then throw up in your penalty area, that'll do it..:)

Joking aside. I hope it's a good game guys ........we need to round off that loss record of yours.

Portugal's all-time record against England: 3 wins, 9 ties, 9 losses.

10. SouLeao

SouLeao Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Toronto
    Well, here's hoping for another classic Portugal-England clash -- one that ends with 11-a-side.

From Portugal's standpoint, this is going to be very tough. Judging by Ronaldo's body language in the minutes after the tackle, I don't think he'll be ready. Shame too, cuz he was starting to show some good form. Deco is out. Petit can easily replace Costinha. I'll be shocked if Figo doesn't get a one-game suspension for his head-butt, regardless of how harmless it was. Simao will come in and be fine, but after watching Tiago sh!t himself on that final play against the Dutch, I'm not convinced he can bring any kind of offence.

The only reason I am remaining somewhat optimistic is the English are not playing good football right now. They're getting it done, which scares me, but they haven't played a team of our calibre yet. One other point in our favour -- SCOLARI! Let's hope this genius can out-coach Sven for a third time!

Don't forget -- the English haven't beaten Portugal in a game that matters since '66. Heck, you have to go back nearly 10 years to the last time they won a game, although that was a friendly. And after watching the 20 cards handed out Sunday, we ain't so friendly any more! :D

11. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He was being sarcastic... :rolleyes:

Anyways, it'll be a tough-game, but no way in hell will this be tougher than the Holland game, if England come out like they did against Equador today.

Key-Points:
    Ronaldo fitness-I PERSONALLY think he should be fine, the damage he took today wasn't that bad, since he stayed on for so long after the tackle. He was in discomfort, but like I said in the other thread, 1 or 2 days of rest and medical detailing he should be fit for the game, and be working out with the team by Wednesday at the very latest.
    Deco suspension-Even though we all know he should be here... could become a key part of the game should Ronaldo be out, because it begs the question of who to put in the MC spot... Viana? Not the worst choice, but... well... blegh.
    Englands defence-As rock-solid as I find both Rio and Terry they've had a few lapses in security of-late.

Interesting record of Portugal versus England:
    WC 1966: England win 3-1
    WC 1986: Portugal win 1-0
    EURO 2000: Portugal win 3-2
    EURO 2004: Portugal win after PKs

While England may have had our number in meaningless friendlies from the 1930s, we've been on a hot-streak in games that matter since England's last tournament triumph.

But as I said with the Holland game, history doesn't matter.

I just hope again for a good game.

Hope for the best and expect the worst.

Here we go again!

12. El Ardillo

El Ardillo New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Delaware
    oh...i'm so excited, but afraid too.

this is like the energy i felt during euro 04. its pumping through me like a damn broke or something and all i can think about is seeing portugal at the final beating brazil or whoever takes it to the end.

this could be our triumph, kids.

i think we can get through this, the team is in heavy shape and england has been in decline like molasses down a mountain; slowly, but surely. i'm just short of biting my nails...:D

13. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Both Scolari and Ronaldo have downplayed fears that he won't be fit for England:

Cristiano RONALDO (POR)
    They’ve told me that I’ve only got bruising and I think that I’m going to be available for the next game. Our team is in really good shape to face England.

Scolari
    Cristiano (Ronaldo) has got five or six days and he will probably recover.

So you can all stop pushing the panic button!:eek::D

14. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Huge game. I feel fairly comfortable, but nervous. If Ronaldo plays, I think he can have a big game....We are going to need a big game from him without Deco.

I think we could start Tiago in the middle instead of Viana no?

15. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Did I mention how big this game.Wow.

16. Truckwu

Truckwu Member

none
    Jun 18, 2006
    Munich
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What about Deco. Zidane, Ibrahimovic, just to name a few . All traitors and scum ?

Did you realise whe are in the 21st century ?

17. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England

Yeah , teams should not be allowed to naturalise foreginers, such as DECO or EUSEBIO, glad you agree

18. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    ..... Or OWEN HARGRAVES!:cool: Now get lost!

19. Reis710

Reis710 New Member

May 20, 2006
    Hamilton
    ssolari has told the FPF to contact fifa and to try and get decos card turned back just into a yellow. hopefully the genuis on the field can be the genuis off the field....

20. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    No kidding? IF Portugal pull out the win, you better head on over to Acushnet Ave. It was insanse right after the match against Holland yesterday.

21. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    I'm glad you noticed that "save" too. Thank god that thing went wide. But, hey, a little luck is finally on that guy's side for once.

22. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Fifa has cleared Figo of any wrong-doing, will play against England!!:)

23. Charleysurf

Charleysurf Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Will Ronaldo play even if he is fit?
    Figo will be available and Simao did a decent job when he came on against Holland. Will Scolari leave Ronaldo on the bench?

24. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    80% chance that Ronaldo will play on Saturday according to www.abola.pt:)

25. Charleysurf

Charleysurf Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That says there is an 80% chance he will be fit. What I am wondering is if he will play even if he is fit? Will Scolari replace him with Simao?