2006 World Cup: Quarter-Finals - Portugal x England [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Força Sporting, Jun 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El Ardillo

El Ardillo New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Delaware
    does anyone have the rest of the game or know where i can watch it?

i missed all the overtime and the PKs...i really wanna see them. could someone write me a descriptive narrative if not, lol?

2. All the Way

All the Way BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 1, 2006

Hi El Ardillo

Extra time had no major action… Portugal put some pressure on england, but only on added time of second half crated half a chance. Maniche shot in the area, but it went over the bar

Penalties:

Simao scores - Portugal
    lampard misses - england
    Hugo Viana misses - Portugal
    english guy scores - england
    Petit misses - Portugal
    gerrard misses – england
    Postiga scores – Portugal
    carragher misses – england
    C. Ronaldo scores – Portugal and it’s all over!!

3. El Ardillo

El Ardillo New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Delaware
    it must've been great to watch...

i'm getting outta work for wednesday, no way will i miss that....

4. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Not too bad...so far only one troll who is trying to justify why England didn't win.

Well for the record there was probably only one dive at that was Maniche who was scratched in the face and embellished a bit. Aside from that England had almost double the fouls Portugal had...

But much respect for Rio and Terry who were both outstanding. Ashley Cole for some moments other then those three England played below their abilities...

Portugal on the other had was missing the killer instinct and that game vs. the Netherlands may have taken it's toll and the team lacked a bit of pace.

MOTM aside from Ricardo was Maniche who once again was all over the place.

Forca Portugal...

5. parkben1

parkben1 Member

Feb 18, 2006
    brooklyn
    They always like to use the third world line when referring to Portugal, but their country is an industrial wasteland...A former shadow of an ancient empire..

6. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Figo was going down a lot too, but I think we just not there physically today.

7. All the Way

Jul 1, 2006
    Did you notice Robinson expecting Postiga to repeat the trick of Euro04 PKs? He stood in the middle of the goal, with no reaction! Hilarious! Has he really expecting Helder to do it again? OMG, I guess that english keeper is not the smartest guy alive

8. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I was personally scared he'd try it. But I remember his father lashed out on him for doing it in 2004.

It was an up and down thing really. When Lampard missed I thought we had a huge advantage, but when Viana and Simao both missed, I thought it was over, the reverse of Euro 2004 (Bizarro Euro-2004 if you will; Seinfeld).

Heck, when Viana missed I originally celebrated, I thought it went in, and then I saw Viana wasn't smiling... :eek:

9. El Ardillo

El Ardillo New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Delaware
    well, as i said before the match, i was confident in our skill to win. this proved that we were the better team.

our biggest break probably came when rooney was expelled from play. it put england of balance. however, to say that we won because of diving, rooney's expulsion, or anything else as trivial is totally absurd.

we won, as the saying goes, fair and square. and damnit, am i happy we did.:D

10. Tavares

Tavares Member

Jun 18, 2005
    Montreal/Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    What's with all the hate? I mean sure Portugal didn't play well at all today but neither did England. I would pretty much say that both teams, in the end, deserved (by virtue of the other not deserving) to win. Portugal, however, was vastly superior in the penalties and a key player, Ricardo, stepped up, so they're going through. Also, I didn't really notice any diving on the part of Portugal aside from Maniche's embellishment of the scratch on his face. I would even venture as far as to say that England "dove" (if exaggerating contact be called such as there wasn't any "Rivaldos" in the game besides Maniche's act) as they were frequently "trying to get free kicks" as the broadcaster says. Props to the English for battling with a man down and shame on the haters grasping at straws to insult Portugal. Forca Portugal!

11. All the Way

Jul 1, 2006
    Did you watch Mourinho’s comments on Portuguese TV (SIC) last night? He was saying that we could play with Tiago making the role of Deco, Figo and Simao as wingers and Ronaldo as striker, and that this could confuse the English. Well, we played like that for almost one hour.. I wonder whether Scolari had it all figured or if just took Mourinho’s advice….

12. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Uh... no...

We played like that for like 10 minutes tops. Helder Postiga came on for Figo and became the long striker.

13. Tavares

Tavares Member

Jun 18, 2005
    Montreal/Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah I think it's just the natural formation that Portugal falls into when Pauleta is taken off and another striker isnt put in right away. I have definately seen something like it before with Deco playing Tiago's role obviously.

14. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Congratulations on an excellent result.

It's amazing that Portugal has made it so far with an invisible man in the lineup (Pauleta).

I live near a large Portuguese community and tonight there are MANY fireworks and a small street parade.

15. Portugallia

Portugallia BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 9, 2005
    Full Penalty's Shootout, Celebraition & Dissapiontment! (HQ 1000kbps Xvid - 384 x 240) DOWNLOAD - ~15MIN/117MB

http://www.spread-it.com/dl.php?id=707ae6b63b01b74f174255b875d123bce89929a7

credit goes to Ryan Babel from www.soccerpulse.com

16. All the Way

Jul 1, 2006
    I think it was a bit more than 10 minutes, but that’s not my point. What I am wondering is whether this could be a good tactic for the next match. As Pauleta seems to be away from his best form and Simao is playing well, could it make sense to start the match against France with Deco in the middle, Figo and Simao as wingers and Ronaldo as number9? It could work, I think… Ronaldo has the pace and France’s central defenders are not that fast

17. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Another one claiming there are Portuguese in Texas...

Looks like we got another Portuguese contingency abroad... :D

Thank you. :)

18. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We're playing against a keeper that Pauleta has played against before and NOW we want to take him out? If we didn't take him out for England, we shouldn't take him out for France. I say stick him in there and just hope he pops one in. I think with Deco he'll see the ball more.

Granted, Pauleta's not had a great World Cup, but I still have faith in that, when he gets a good opportunity, he'll put it away, only problem today was he didn't get an opportunity because he didn't get the ball, simple as that, doesn't help when England play with practically 3 DMCs and squeeze the life out of our midfield.

19. Tavares

Tavares Member

Jun 18, 2005
    Montreal/Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Pauleta has his flaws but I dont think he has had much to work with lately. I mean the service today was awful, He had 1 or 2 good balls played into him. Just look at Ronaldo when he took Pauleta's place, he didn't do much better. As for the whole tournament Pauleta has scored a big goal albeit a simple tap in and assisted on an even bigger one. He's also been robbed at least once and most importantly we have been winning with him. I think that what we may need is a consistent second striker to play up front with him for support. Unfortunately now's not the time to be making such drastic changes so by all accounts he should start the next game. We should mayb look into playing Ronaldo as a second striker in the future.

20. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Sorry, I was born in Texas but live in New England.

It's "Boas Festas" tonight here, for sure!

21. El Ardillo

El Ardillo New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Delaware
    thanks for the DL!

22. castanha

castanha New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Ricardo resolve!!!!

Stick with Pauleta.

23. SouLeao

SouLeao Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Toronto
    I wanted to give full credit to the English for holding on while playing with 10 men, but then I read all the British press and that just made me so happy that they're out!

Numerous UK web sites blamed Ronaldo for getting Rooney red carded, not realizing the red was obviously for the stomp. Then, they accuse Carvalho of over-reacting. I'd love to take a pair of studs to the crotch of every British reporter covering the game and see if they'd stay down for the count. And to suggest Ronaldo acted poorly when he came over to the official? Every soccer game I've watched is full of players running over to the ref to argue/discuss calls, but since the Portuguese do it against the noble :rolleyes: English, it's a black mark on the game of football:rolleyes:

Then I saw a pic of English fans burning a Portuguese flag and lost any respect I had left.

And Ricardo rules! What club team does that guy play for? :D

24. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    Erickson said they trained penalties exhaustively. I bet that was part of the trainining. Notice also how Robinson dove to his right on CRonaldo's kick (where he usually sends it).

25. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    Next game will be against France so its the ideal game for Pauleta to shine, however i agree with you guys with the kind of game we are playing we need a striker that can hold the ball and make the midfielders play and finish, like Nuno Gomes...who i think had some problems with Scolari, thats the only reason i saw why he didn´t played more, even Postiga is playing more!