2006 World Cup: Quarter-Finals - Portugal x England [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Força Sporting, Jun 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    [​IMG] X [​IMG]

Saturday, July 1, 2006 @ 16:00 GMT / 11:00 am EST.

Locale: Veltins Arena (Arena Auf Schalke), Gelsenkirchen.

Match statistics:

Portugal's all-time record against England: 3 wins, 9 ties, 9 losses.
    Portugal's biggest win: 3-1 (1955).
    Portugal's biggest loss: 0-10 (1947).

All-time results:

2004/06/24 - Euro 2004 (Portugal)- Portugal 2-2 England (6-5 after penalties)
    2004/02/18 - International Friendly - Portugal 1-1 England
    2002/09/07 - International Friendly - England 1-1 Portugal
    2000/06/12 - Euro 2000 (Belgium/Holland) - Portugal 3-2 England
    1998/04/22 - International Friendly - England 3-0 Portugal
    1995/12/12 - International Friendly - England 1-1 Portugal
    1986/01/01 - World Cup 1986 (Mexico) - Portugal 1-0 England
    1974/04/03 - International Friendly - Portugal 0-0 England
    n/a - Euro 1976 Qualifier - England 0-0 Portugal
    n/a - Euro 1976 Qualifier - Portugal 1-1 England
    1969/12/10 - International Friendly - England 1-0 Portugal
    1966/07/26 - World Cup 1966 (England) - England 2-1 Portugal
    1964/06/04 - International Friendly - Portugal 1-1 England
    1964/05/17 - International Friendly - Portugal 3-4 England
    1961/10/25 - World Cup 1962 Qualifier - England 2-0 Portugal
    1961/05/21 - World Cup 1962 Qualifier - Portugal 1-1 England
    1958/05/07 - International Friendly - England 2-1 Portugal
    1955/05/22 - International Friendly - Portugal 3-1 England
    1951/05/19 - International Friendly - England 5-2 Portugal
    1950/05/14 - International Friendly - Portugal 3-5 England
    1947/05/25 - International Friendly - Portugal 0-10 England

2. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well, it seems fitting that we meet the English yet again in a major international tournament, doesn't it?! While the overall record against England doesn't seem so great, it's worth noting that of the 3 victories, 2 of them came in tournaments (WC '86 and Euro 2000 - Euro '04 doesn't count as the match ended in penalties).

Gelsenkirchen holds dear to the hearts of Portuguese football fans, particularly those of FC Porto, who won the Champions League in 2004 at the Arena Auf Schalke.

Portugal has more momentum going into this match and held their own against tough opponents in Mexico and Holland in their last 2 matches, and have grown ever more confident as each game goes by. Deco and Costinha will be missed. I expect to see Tiago and Petit replace them accordingly. As for Ronaldo, he will be assesed by the doctors on Monday to find the severity of his thigh injury. Figo may very well be suspended by FIFA for his head-butt on Van Bommel, though if they are going to do that, the very least they could do is overturn Deco's second yellow.

Ricardo and his front four are gelling with each game and Ricardo in particular has played extremely well - one goal conceded, many exceptional saves - and one frango against Holland :eek: Meira and Carvalho have marked their men well, and both Valente and Miguel have provided some great crosses and overall good play on the wings.

England will be a tough test. They have, IMO, one of the top 5 midfields in the world with the likes of Cole, Lampard, Gerrard and Beckham, but Portugal have held their own against England in the last few years, and it would be no surprise to see Portugal advance at England's expense. Força PORTUGAL!!!

3. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    I heard that Figo cannto be suspended, because the ref cautioned him.

4. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    Looking forward to it - if England can't find the motivation to finally put in a performance this tournament against you guys after the loss on penalties two years then heaven help us.

I've got mixed feelings on us playing against your depleted squad - Deco and Costinha are a big loss in itself, let alone if you were to lose Figo and Ronaldo as well. If we beat you I'd prefer to do it against a full-strength side but hey, this is the WC, and we'll take any advantage we can get (and considering our form to date we'll need it).

Just hoping for a good game and may the best team win....

5. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    Depends what the ref cautioned him for - if it's for the headbutt then no, FIFA can't touch him. Considering the ref had his back to Figo at the time and didn't consult with the linesman then I'm struggling to understand how the hell the card could be for that incident. Although given then ref's performance tonight anything is possible :p

6. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Are we allowed to appeal the Deco red?

7. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Deco already had received a yellow card in the match against Iran, so the yellow that he received earlier in the match against Holland meant that he couldn't play against England anyways (2 yellows in separate matches = red, therefore suspension), so I suppose it is a moot point to appeal...

8. El Ardillo

El Ardillo New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Delaware
    in a way, this relates to star wars.

anyone who has seen episode V: the empire strikes back will know about the battle of hoth. we're the empire and the dutch are the rebels. the dutch lost the battle, but as far as tactics go we;ve failed to crush them without losses. i doubt it could be said that they were crushed with regards to correct terminology.

we've lost costinha and deco which is bad enough considering we've got ronaldo injured and figo in hot water.

i'm gonna be praying for this one, b/c its gonna take the grace of God. (good thing the portuguese are catholic;) )

9. metro fan

metro fan Member

Apr 29, 1999
    Union, NJ
    Thats not true. all yellows after the first round were cleaned out. And no we cannto appeal Deco's card

10. El Ardillo

El Ardillo New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Delaware
    did england loose anyone in their match against ecuador?

i heard beckham supposedly threw up on himself after an injury or something. wish i could have seen that.

11. Reis710

Reis710 New Member

May 20, 2006
    Hamilton
    my starting 11

assuming figo and ronaldo dont play..

ricardo
    miguel meira carvalho valente
    petit maniche
    simao tiago boa morte
    pauleta

if figo and ronaldo do play

just put figo in the centre instead of tiago and take out BM for ronaldo

12. El Ardillo

El Ardillo New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Delaware
    in all seriousness, does anyone know if they'll be in for the match against england?

and does anyone think england proved anything today with their victory over ecuador? i mean, ecuador, imo, seems almost second rate...

what are our chances for the portugal x england game? honestly.

13. Reis710

Reis710 New Member

May 20, 2006
    Hamilton
    ronaldo will be evaluated tomorrow and figo we just have to wait and see. as for the cards in ttodays game fifa cant do anyhting about it.

14. castanha

castanha New Member

Aug 5, 2004

Deco will be missed, but we can replace Costinha without much trouble. I think Figo will move to the middle, Simao will take Figo's spot on the left, and Tiago will replace Costinha. I think Cristiano will play.

Good luck to England as well. I hope the game ends 11 v 11.

15. Reis710

Reis710 New Member

May 20, 2006
    Hamilton
    here it is CLICK AT YOUR OWN RISK BECKHAM VOMITING

16. El Ardillo

El Ardillo New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Delaware
    wow...looks like he had eggs for lunch.

17. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    He is bent like Beckham!!!

18. El Ardillo

El Ardillo New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Delaware
    thats probably not as funny as it should be. i laughed either way, though

19. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It's Ok to laugh Ardillo, That is worthy of prime news.

20. El Ardillo

El Ardillo New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Delaware
    i thought it was ********in hilarious.

...just didnt know if that view would be shared by everyone else.:p

21. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Now, If it only Fell on one of the Englands player boots.

22. El Ardillo

El Ardillo New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Delaware
    you know what gets me...KLOSE and PODOLSKI!!

its one thing to play for a foreign club, but a foreign team?! those two are scum in my eyes. traitors of the polish fatherland. they have no honor, only greed and unabiding ambition.

...poland could've gone some where with their talent. i mean, they ppractically scored most of germany's goals.

23. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006

They both having been living in Germany, since they were 3, respectively 7 years old. That hardly qualifies them as "foreigners".

Having said that, Portugal doesn't need to worry about England. They will beat England easily.

24. El Ardillo

El Ardillo New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Delaware
    well, it still hurts me to think about their talent wasted on germany. its like living a lie, those two. being 3 or 7 doesnt change what you are. and what they are is sons of poland. albeit traitorous sons.

i hope your right, kick.

25. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The 2nd yellow on Deco was the worst call in History of soccer!!! The Dutchman grabbed him, spun him around and threw Deco on the ground and Deco gets a yellow? Thats a automatic RED card for the Dutch!!! Worst ref!!!