2006 WCQs for Asia starting soon

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by MIGkiller, Oct 24, 2003.

1. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I thought that only Comnebol and the CAF would have started their qualifying games before the December 5 preliminary draw in Frankfurt.

This Friday the AFC made the draw of preliminary matchups that will decide who will join the top 25 Asian teams for the 12/5 WCQ draw in Frankfurt:

Bangladesh vs Tajikistan
    Turkmenistan vs Afghanistan
    Chinese Taipei vs Macao
    Pakistan vs Kyrgyzstan
    Laos vs Sri Lanka
    Mongolia vs Maldives Republic
    Guam vs Nepal

The match dates are yet to be decided. It's not clear if they will be played in home/away legs or just one match. Does anyone know?

And who are the other top 25 AFC teams already seeded for the ultimate draw?

2. desertfox2

desertfox2 Member

Jul 18, 2000
    Trenton, NJ
    According to FIFA, they will be home and away playoffs. 4 teams didn't register for the tournament (Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, and the Philippines) and Myanmar can't play cause of their withdraw during the 2002 WCQ's. The other 25 teams were the top ranked Asian sides on the FIFA World Rankings as of October 22nd. All pre-preliminary matches must be finished by November 29th, 2003.

The 7 winners will advance to the next round where they will meet the 25 other nations to form a 32-team round. My guess is that they will break it up like the Finals: 8 groups of 4 with the winners advancing. After that they could break it down into 2 groups of 4 with the top 2 in each group qualifying for the Finals and the two 3rd place teams playing for the right to play the CONCACAF 4th placer. If this is the case, it's wrong because the final round will be too easy as at least half of the teams would be qualifying. In the 32 team round they may also take the 8 winners and 2 best runners up teams so that it's 2 groups of 5. This is where I wish they would take the top two from OFC and place them into this Final Round. This is all speculation, if anyone can figure out anything else just post it.

Also, I am running a 2006 WCQ Prediction Contest in the FIFA and Tournaments board. So I'll be posting the Asian matches very soon and if you want any details just ask me!

Hope this helps.

3. gohb

gohb Member

Apr 27, 2001
    Does anyone know why Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia and the Phillippines won't be participating? For Bhutan, I can guess it's financial, and Cambodia, maybe because of the state of the nation as a whole, but why Brunei and Phillipines?

4. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    hi migkiller. glad to see you alive

5. the_13th_redneck

the_13th_redneck BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2002
    Philippines

Well the Philippines hardly plays any football and their more popular sport is basketball. It could be funding problems there as well.

6. desertfox2

desertfox2 Member

Jul 18, 2000
    Trenton, NJ
    Dates?

Does anybody know when FIFA is going to release the dates and times of the pre-preliminary matches? The only one I was able to dig up was the Pakistan-Kyrgyzstan first leg which will be played on November 21st. I know they all have to be played by November 29th (that's first and second legs) so I would imagine that they will be played very soon. Frankly, these dates and times should have been available for some time now and yet they still aren't. It's sad and unexcusable that matches in Asia, Oceania, and Africa take so long to finalize and release dates and times. No wonder most people outside of these places could care less about their matches (however I still care).

7. desertfox2

desertfox2 Member

Jul 18, 2000
    Trenton, NJ
    It's November 7th now...

Does anyone have an links or info on the pre-preliminary matches in 2006 WC qualifying in Asia? Like dates? times? etc.

8. Iranian-Striker

Iranian-Striker New Member

Aug 7, 2001
    This stage of qualifying can never really attract the interest of most people (for obvious reasons), which is why there is so little info about it. I couldnt even find anything on AFC's website...

9. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Forza AZ

Forza AZ New Member

Jun 26, 2003
    Alkmaar
    This are the dates of the matches:

19-Nov Turkmenistan v Afghanistan
    21-Nov Guam v Nepal
    21-Nov Laos v Sri Lanka
    21-Nov Mongolia v Maldives Republic
    21-Nov Pakistan v Kyrzgystan
    22-Nov Afghanistan v Turkmenistan
    23-Nov Chinese Taipei v Macao
    28-Nov Kyrzgystan v Pakistan
    28-Nov Bangladesh v Tajikstan
    28-Nov Maldives Republic v Mongolia
    28-Nov Nepal v Guam
    28-Nov Sri Lanka v Laos
    29-Nov Macao v Chinese Taipei
    02-Dec Tajikistan v Bangladesh

11. amir

amir Member

Feb 19, 2001
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran

Hope the same goes for me.

12. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I don't know about Hamatachi.... but I was shocked to see you here again. We actually talked about you recently.

13. amir

amir Member

Feb 19, 2001
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran

Good stuff hopefully. Well i missed the boards. Just coming back to represent Iran.

Still aforoozing

14. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    We talked about people who left.... I cannot talk about the reason I posted anymore. It was good stuff about you.

15. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
  16. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still no time of the game right now - Although it's about 8:00 over there. Nothing anywhere.

Although in searching for the score, I did find out that Nepal withdrew, letting Guam advance to try and break Maldives or is it American Samoa's record for getting crunched.

17. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turkmenistan 11-0 Afghanistan

Ouch

I blame it on Osama Bin-Laden

18. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    "ASHGABAT, Nov 19 (Reuters) - Afghanistan slumped to an 11-0 defeat away to neighbours Turkmenistan as they made their World Cup debut in an Asian zone preliminary qualifier on Wednesday.

About 500 Afghan fans, mostly local residents, were among the crowd of 10,000 in the capital of Turkmenistan, a secretive ex-Soviet state, but they had little to cheer in the first leg."

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=reu-worldturkmenistan&prov=reuters&type=lgns

19. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Maldives is trying to move the first leg of their match away from Mongolia because of the freezing temperatures. Apparently the match is still scheduled to be played at Ulan-Baatar. :eek:

http://www.haveeru.com.mv/english/news_show.phtml?id=2481

If the match goes ahead, I believe it will be the first FIFA match Mongolia has hosted.

20. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    i wanna see how good kuwait plays now. they always give any asian teams touch shot but when they play outside afc they get something like german 8 or 10 -kuwait and on wednsday portugal 8-0 kuwait

21. HiJazzey

HiJazzey Member

Jan 29, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    8 nil is OUR trademark

22. HiJazzey

HiJazzey Member

Jan 29, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Damn them copycats, they even got symmetry right: 4 goals in each half :(

23. Bauvafa

Bauvafa Red Card

Oct 12, 2001
    USA
    got yourself some competition?!!! :D

24. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Bangladesh WCQ against Tajikstan

"A double strike by ace forward Alfaz Ahmed yesterday gave the national team a hard-fought 2-1 win over the Bangladesh under-20s in the lone practice match ahead of their World Cup first-leg qualifier against Tajikistan at the Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium."

http://www.thedailystar.net/2003/11/23/d31123040235.htm

Bangladesh is already worried about the cold weather that they will face in the return leg at Tajikstan.

A few more Bangladesh articles

http://www.matamat.com/fullstory.php?gd=26&cd=2003-11-22

http://www.thedailystar.net/2003/11/22/d31122040131.htm

25. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    2nd leg

Afghanistan 0 Turkmenistan 2

Begench Kuliyev 85, 90
    att: 2500

"KABUL, Nov 23 (Reuters) - Afghanistan took another step out of the sporting wilderness on Sunday, hosting its first competitive soccer international in at least 25 years at a stadium where the Taliban once carried out public executions."

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=reu-afghanistan&prov=reuters&type=lgns

pictures
    http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/photo?slug=xar10511231402.afghanistan_soccer_return_xar105&prov=ap

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/photo?slug=xar10411231407.afghanistan_soccer_return_xar104&prov=ap

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/photo?slug=xar10311231409.afghanistan_soccer_return_xar103&prov=ap