2006 Wcq [r]

Discussion in 'Africa' started by Canadian_Supporter, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    "TUNIS, Sept 19 (Reuters) - Somalia have given up home advantage for next month's World Cup qualifier against Ghana because of the lack of facilities and security in the troubled east African country, officials said on Friday."

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=reu-world_africasomalia&prov=reuters&type=lgns

I think everyone expected Somalia to give up their home advantage. I am surprised they didn't try to get a neutral venue, but playing both games in Ghana will save money.

2. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Preliminary round

1st leg; Oct 10-12
    2nd leg; Nov 14-16

Equatorial Guinea-Togo
    Zimbabwe-Mauritania
    Somalia - Ghana
    Seychelles - Zambia
    Chad - Angola
    Guinea Bissau - Mali
    Sao Tome and Principe - Libya
    Niger - Algeria
    Tanzania - Kenya
    Burkina Faso - Central Africa
    Madagascar - Benin
    Ethiopia - Malawi
    Guinea - Mozambique
    Botswana - Lesotho
    Congo-Brazzaville - Sierra Leone
    Sudan - Eritrea
    Swaziland - Cape Verde
    Uganda - Mauritius
    Rwanda - Namibia
    Gambia - Liberia
    Burundi - Gabon

Cameroon, Senegal, South Africa, Tunisia, Ivory Coast, Congo-Kinshasa, Morocco and Egypt all have byes to the group stage.

WCQ also doubles as ANCQ 2006.

3. desertfox2

desertfox2 Member

Jul 18, 2000
    Trenton, NJ
    Here are the results from October 10th-11th:

October 10th

Guinea-Bassau 1-2 Mali

October 11th

Tanzania 0-0 Kenya
    Uganda 3-0 Mauritius
    Madagascar 1-1 Benin
    Seychelles 0-4 Zambia
    Sao Tome e Principe 0-0 Libya
    Botswana 4-1 Lesotho
    Niger 0-1 Algeria

There will be 11 more matches today. And I would just like to add that I have been very disappointed with the lack of interest of these matches by both people on BS and by the sites covering the matches. It seems like almost noone cares and yet these matches are just so huge. Every team that doesn't advance out of this first round won't play a really competitive match for 2-3 years. Plus these are World Cup qualifiers and mean a lot. BBC has been the only one even sort of updating these matches, all the other sites I have aren't updating anything, cafonline doesn't even have anything even on the matches, it's absurd. Not to mention that maybe 1 person will even read this cause almost noone comes in here...I'm sorry but this whole thing is really a disgrace.

4. Forza AZ

Forza AZ New Member

Jun 26, 2003
    Alkmaar
  5. Crested Crane

Crested Crane New Member

Oct 12, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Uganda 3-0 Mauritius

Yay!!!!

6. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I am interested.

Carry on, please.

7. petezuke17

petezuke17 Member

May 7, 2003
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sao Tome e Principe is the smallest country in all of Africa. It is basically two islands in the Gulf of Guinea (right on the equator) and has a total population of just over 175,000.

Libya has a population of almost 34 x the size of Sao Tome e Principe - this has to be one of the more shocking results.

And if you want to use the Fifa World Rankings which are crap ....

Libya 93
    Sao Tome e Principe 194

This has to be one of the more remarkable results I have ever seen.

8. petezuke17

petezuke17 Member

May 7, 2003
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some other results form the first legs - from Soccernet.com

Zimbabwe 3-0 Mauritania
    Ethiopia 1-3 Malawi
    Swaziland 1-1 Cape Verde
    Rwanda 3-0 Namibia
    Burundi 0-0 Gabon

9. Crested Crane

Crested Crane New Member

Oct 12, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Interesting that a lot of teams scored 3 goals this weekend:

Uganda
    Zimbabwe
    Rwanda
    etc

10. petezuke17

petezuke17 Member

May 7, 2003
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are the rest of the results for the weekend

Gambia 2-0 Liberia
    Congo 1-0 Sierra Leone
    Guiena 1-0 Mozambique
    Chad 3-1 Angola
    Sudan 3-0 Eritrea

And as always, team listed first is the home team

The Liberia result not a real shocker considering the mess that the country is in.... that is one of the more interesting senarios with African football - coups and government collapses can affect the process every once in a while

11. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What about Somalia x Ghana?

12. petezuke17

petezuke17 Member

May 7, 2003
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that both legs are going to be played in November, IIRC

13. desertfox2

desertfox2 Member

Jul 18, 2000
    Trenton, NJ
    What else do you want me to say? African football seems like it's none-existent to most people, and the only time anyone makes a big fuss about anything most of the time is when the match is over. There was little to no preview of the matches this past weekend (with the exception of the late article fifa.com posted and it was like the day before) and the coverage by bbc was slower than usual. I mean, they had Guinea-Bassau having defeated Mali 2:1 then midway through the day Saturday switched it to Mali 2:1...not to mention that they were posting results of matches when they were not results and it was driving me nuts. Plus, this whole time it seemed like nobody cared about these matches, no articles written, nothing. And how cafonline.com can not even mention the matches going on is hard to imagine.

I'm sorry for all you that posted this past day in this thread cause at least you are showing you care about these matches. But you have to agree, African football coverage on the net is really lacking and it's wrong.

14. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Well I too agree with you, desertfox2. As a mod here for a few years now, it gets really disheartening and I go through periods when I don't post much of anything. I guess that's depression. A few of the reasons why this is so:

1) The internet has nowhere near the presence in Africa as a whole compared to the first world. A few countries are pretty net-sophisticated (like SA) but they are the exceptions. I tend to post and lurk on those local message boards.

2) Folks in Europe and especially USA have little understanding of Africa. Furthermore I don't see folks there having much interest in educating themselves either. This of course goes beyond just soccer and, yes, includes a healthy slice of racism. As a moderator on the FIFA board I have been continually appalled about some of the comments by posters here about Africa. Then I remember that hardly anyone here (the US) has been there (Africa). The ignorance is monumental.

15. petezuke17

petezuke17 Member

May 7, 2003
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And a prime example of the apathetic coverage. the score was reported wrong the other day Libya won 1-0 away at Sao Tome - so I guess there goes the impressive result.

16. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heck, the coverage of the American games is terrible too, so i would expect this to be as it is. As far as most people are concerned, football is only played in Europe and South America. that is going to continue to be the case until someone out of these areas wins the WC. horrible, but true.

17. desertfox2

desertfox2 Member

Jul 18, 2000
    Trenton, NJ
    I actually just came from an African history class I'm taking at college and I'm amazed every day about how little people know about Africa. I mean, there are many people here in the states who think Africa is a country which I don't even know how to respond to it's so stupid. And I agree that racism has a lot to do with it and it's really sad to see it. At times I'm embarrassed to be an American because of the lack of knowledge and more importantly the lack of careness that people have to appreciating Africa.

But to get back to what I was saying earlier, it's ridiculous how sites can't even get the scores right of matches. So far BBC has been horrible in the fact that they have gotten 4 results wrong in these qualifiers. Here is what they said compared to another couple of sites that I have just looked at today:

What BBC said:

Equatorial Guinea 0-1 Togo
    Guinea-Bassau 2-1 Mali (which they later changed to 1-2)
    Botswana 3-1 Lesotho

What fifa.com and a couple other sites have said:

Equatorial Guinea 1-0 Togo
    Guinea-Bassau 1-2 Mali
    Sao Tome e Principe 0-1 Libya
    Botswana 4-1 Lesotho

Now, I am running a prediction contest over in the FIFA and tournaments forum and when stuff like this happens it ticks me off cause now I have to make so many unexpected switches. I can't even imagine them making this many mistakes for EURO 2004 or something. I mean, imagine 2 days after the England-Turkey match they said oh btw, Turkey happened to win that game 1-0 I think a lot of people would be ticked off. I just can't understand how getting a correct result is so hard. Now I just have to hope that these results are right. It's totally absurd and completely unexcusable.

18. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I am surprised that Chad came away with a 3-1 victory against Angola. Too bad Chad gave up the one goal at home. It could come back to haunt them.

19. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  20. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Yeah, I expected Angola to win there.

21. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I know nothing about Chad. It is rather difficult to find info on their players etc...

I believe they have at least one player in France. A few years ago the captain of the national team was playing in Indonesia.

22. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  23. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of crap coverage, aren't the second round games this weekend?

24. petezuke17

petezuke17 Member

May 7, 2003
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes they are

25. gt76

gt76 New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Catania, Italy
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I will post these 2 results here, just to show I am interested in this Africa WCQ :)

Algeria - Niger 6-0 (first leg 1-0, aggregate 7-0)
    Algeria qualified
    Mauritania - Zimbabwe 2-1 (first leg 0-3, aggregate 2-4)
    Zimbabwe qualified