2006 WC Roster

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by mfw13, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doing the roster math:

Reyna will be a luxury in WC 2006 and on my charts, his inclusion will probably mean Ralston or Noonan's exclusion, unless Bruce wants to go with 10 midfielders. (Btw, in 2002 we had 7 midfielders, 9 defenders and 4 forwards. I think this time it will be 9 midfielders, 8 defenders and 3 forwards.)

My 9 midfield picks are: JOB, Lewis, DMB, LD, Mastroeni, Dempsey, Noonan, Armas and Ralston. (note: LD, DMB and Noonan could also play forward, and Mastroeni could also play defender).

2. todd_knode

todd_knode New Member

Jun 30, 2005
    San Diego via DC
    If Reyna wants to be on the team (meaning he will accept a limited role) he will be on the team next summer. IMO he is an important player to have because he can come in the last 20-30 minutes and change the flow of the game if that is needed at the time.

But what is more prickly is who will be captain? He's been captain since long before japan/korea so Bruce would have to take that from him and give it to someone else. One of the few potential players who will be starting every game. Keller, Donovan, Beasley anyone else?
    I just wonder how he would react to that.

3. Melloblkmon

Melloblkmon Member

Sep 11, 2000
    At Home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have all done a really fine anaylsis so I will not chime in on anything except the goalkeeper issue.

I first must start by making clear up front that Kasey Keller has been and always will be my choice for best ever USMNT goalkeeper...period, Friedel fans need not comment. ;)

I think we are all taking this whole backup keeper thing a little lightly especially since most of your choice for #2 (Tim Howard) will likely not have a job next year, at least a starting one. Hahnemann plays in the first division which I am sure you will are agree is a step below the Premiership. I think everyone is taking a really casual view toward who goes as the backups. Kasey is 36 and while he is in good shape he could easily suffer a serious injury in the last few qualifiers. He could get hurt in a friendly a month before the WC and that would be bad news. God forbid if this happened because I am positive not a soul here would feel to comfortable with Howard or Hahnemann in goal in Germany. In the past it was Keller or Friedel...Friedel or Keller. Even though I was not a big Friedel fan I still felt really good with him in the back because I knew he could make the saves he was supposed to make. There was no big jitters for me there.

I can't say that about our goalkeeping pool in 2005 and I am sure not many of you can either. I like both Howard and Hahnemann but the fact is one will be out of work soon and the other will be playing ball with guys he probably wouldn't stop shots againist in serious international play.

I know this thread is more about our field players and it should be, but I feel everyone should take a harder look at the goalkeeper situation instead of simply saying...

Keller
    GK#2
    GK#3

That's all...

4. elbita

elbita New Member

May 4, 2005
    London

nicely put. i'm not convinced those will be the two guys. howard needs to put in a few games in a row without a major mistake, i should think. if there's any position that would seem appropriate for the "getting regular playing time" criteria, it would be GK.
    i have no opinion either way on hahnemann.

those who know his work, what about cannon?

unless howard plays regularly somewhere and plays well, i wouldn't bring him. MAYBE at the #3 slot. GK gaffes in the WC are simply unacceptable.

5. Melloblkmon

Melloblkmon Member

Sep 11, 2000
    At Home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you think about it there is only one other US goalkeeper with WC experience and that is Mr. Meola. By this time next year he could be the starter with the MetroStars. I am sure some folks here are laughing right about now but back in 2002 no one really thought he'd be the #3 choice.

It is very possible that Tony could factor in if he wanted to. I'll be honest, i'd take Fat Tony (Tony really isn't fat I just like saying that) in the WC over a lot of other MLS goalkeepers because he has WC experience. If he could prove fitness there is no reason he couldn't play unless i've missed something and he has sworn off International football.

Again many of you are laughing while reading this but you know it's true!

6. kevbrunton

kevbrunton New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First of all, I think we'll see him take 7 defenders, 9 mids and 4 forwards. That's classifying Mastro & LD as mids and either can play other places. So having said that and assuming everyone is healthy

I'd say the following are locks...

GK - Keller

Def - Pope, Gooch, Gibbs, Bocanegra, Dolo and Hejduk (6)

Mid - Donovan, Beasley, Mastro, Lewis, JOB, Reyna & Dempsey (7)

For - McBride & Johnson (2)

That means we need 1 defender, 2 mids and 2 forwards from the bubble list...

On the defense, with 4 guys (Pope, Gooch, Gibbs & Boca) that are solid central defenders, that last guy is not another central defender - sorry Berhalter, Marshall and any other young central defenders. We need another outside defender. If Spector plays LB and does well at Charlton, he would likely become this option. Otherwise, I see Bruce either taking Convey or trying some MLS guys out in a friendly to find that last outside defender. What that means is if Spector plays Central Defense at Charlton, he won't make the WC squad.

In the midfield, so far, we have 3 guys who are solid as Dmid - Mastro, Reyna & JOB. We also have 3 that can play effective at Amid - LD, JOB & as a sub, Dempsey. Wide left, we have Lewis & DMB, but we only have Dempsey wide right. So I'd say we need to pick someone who can play wide right. Our last midfielder probably is another central mid in the event we want to play a 3-5-2 with LD one of the up top guys. Unfortunately, I don't really see anyone that has been standing out enough at this point to say they'll be included. Gaven might make it as a guy that can play both right and central like Dempsey. The last one will have to be someone that steps up over the next 6 months.

Up top, I agree with others, that we'll likely see another target and another speedster. Right now, it's Ching & Wolff as the most likely options, but I am increasingly not liking Wolff. He's not as fast as he used to be and is certainly not WC caliber for a "fast" forwards. Maybe this is how Freddy gets on the roster - as a last 5-10 minute speed burner in each game.

7. gnatfan

gnatfan Member

Mar 10, 2005
    I think it very likely that if KK were to be injured in games leading up to the WC than Big Brad would suddenly "unretire" and become available. Whether or not Bruce would then use him is another question but I do believe Brad would be part of the mix once again.

8. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    My revised predictions...

GK: Keller, Howard, Cannon
    D: Bocanegra, Cherundolo, Pope, Onyewu, Gibbs, Spector, Marshall, Hejduk
    MF: Donovan, Beasley, Dempsey, O'Brien, Reyna, Mastroeni, Lewis, Quaranta
    F: Johnson, McBride, Ching, Wolff

I'd really rather go with 9 midfielders but Hejduk is the last guy on my list as a defender and he may simply be too much of a veteran presence to leave off the team. I'm fully confident that Marshall will stake his place in the team during the winter friendlies, if the last WC proved anything it's that you can never have too many good CBs. Especially when they are big, young, and fast.

I'd also like to have a guy coming off the bench who can really stretch a defense with his speed. Wolff could be that guy, but he isn't getting any yougner. Ditto Hejduk. Dempsey could be that guy, but by next summer he could be too good to leave off the starting 11. Quaranta is fast, but not blindingly fast. Chris Klein and Pat Noonan are good wingers but neither is known for his speed. Gaven is fast and has a decent shot at the team next summer but hasn't raised his play to where he can be considered a lock yet. Who else is out there??

9. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Keller and McBride have been wearing the armband most of the time recently.

10. DonCorleone

DonCorleone New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    NY state.
    i like to see this formation at the next WC,

.........................................Keller/Hahnemman

Cherundolo/Albright.......Gooch/Pope...........Boca/Gibb........Convey/Vanney

.........................................Reyna/Mastroeni.........................................

........Donovan.............................O'brien............................ Lewis/DMB

......................Johnson/Hercules........McBride/Ching

11. soccerhooligan33

soccerhooligan33 New Member

Oct 31, 2002
    Clifton, VA
    I'd like to see us starting like this:

.................................Eddie Johnson........................................
    ........Damarcus Beasley......................Landon Donovan................
    ..................................John O'brien..........................................
    Eddie Lewis......................................................Steve Cherundolo
    .................................Pablo Mastroeni.......................................
    ........Carlos Bocanegra................................Cory Gibbs................
    ..................................Oguchi Onyewu......................................
    .....................................Kasey Keller........................................

The extra spots were filled in with players who displayed versatility (Convey, Spector, Russell, Hejduk, Quaranta, Gaven) which I think is important with Bruce's ever-changing formations and tactics

Kasey Keller, Borrusia Monchengladbach
    Marcus Hahnemann, Reading
    Tim Howard, Manchester United

Cory Gibbs, Feyenoord
    Oguchi Onyewu, Standard Liege
    Eddie Pope, Real Salt Lake
    Steve Cherundolo, Hannover 96
    Carlos Bocanegra, Fulham
    Frankie Hejduk, Columbus Crew
    Jonathan Spector, Charlton Athletic
    Robbie Russell, Rosenberg

Claudio Reyna, Manchester City