2006 UNC Tar Heels [R]

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Heeligan2, Aug 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
  2. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    Any thoughts? I just saw the last part on video, so it was hard to tell. We are using four defenders now? How did the new players look?

3. carolinablue_cchs07

carolinablue_cchs07 New Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Murray, KY
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if u've seen the score and not all of the game, like me, there's no words. and... will HAO really abandon this team after this?? hmm. something to think about there... USA friendly vs UNC & trying to get the 'Heels to .500 her senior year 2nd game...

4. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me just come in here and give my utmost respect to y'all. Neither team deserved to lose this game, and, in a traditional sense, neither team did, but as dumb as it is, overtime is the rule and overtime ruled the day.

UNC is and has always been an amazing team and I don't see that changing this year. Good luck to you guys the rest of the way, and if anyone made the trip, have a safe trip home (after the game on Sunday, I'm assuming).

5. carolinablue_cchs07

Sep 12, 2005
    Murray, KY
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    glad to see someone's showing the 'Heels some respect. Thank you, and good luck 2 y'all too, MC

6. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/sports/w-soccer/recaps/082606aab.html

Carolina is missing three starters for much of the early part of the 2006 campaign. Defender Robyn Gayle is currently playing with the Canadian National Team and will return for the East Coast Invitational next weekend in New Haven, Conn. Forward Casey Nogueira and midfielder Tobin Heath, both freshmen projected as starters for UNC, are playing with the U.S. Under-20 National Team in Russia at the World Championship. They will miss the first five games of the season before joining the Tar Heels for their trip to the Nike Portland Invitational September 9 and 11.

UNC senior All-America forward Heather O'Reilly played for the Tar Heels Friday night against the Aggies but she will miss Sunday's match at SMU. O'Reilly will be playing with the U.S. National Team Sunday at a match in Chicago before rejoining the Tar Heels for their home opener next Tuesday against UNC Greensboro.

7. carolinablue_cchs07

Sep 12, 2005
    Murray, KY
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they've been wrong before. besides... is there a new law that says she has to go with the NT? i guess we won't REALLY know till sunday, huh??

8. tarheelfan490

tarheelfan490 New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    arlington, va
    yes we do, she won't be there on sunday. also: i said some bad words when i heard the score. but hey, the basketball team was 0-1 in 2005 (not that that has anything to do with anything other than me being superstitious and wanting some comfort)

9. DEFENCE_FIRST

DEFENCE_FIRST New Member

Aug 12, 2003
    T.O
    Club:
    Toronto

Missing 3 starters is HUGE!! Especially Gayle since she is a fundamental part of the team unit (good to see she is doing well with the Canadian Nats though). That Aside I personally am not worried about a loss in this stage of the game- considering the circumstances.

But hey you know what really exciting 8000 people+ at the game, that speaks volumes about the shape of the Women's game.

10. carolinablue_cchs07

Sep 12, 2005
    Murray, KY
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    true... and yeah, i wonder, though--- why did anson have them in a 4-back?? was it BECAUSE they're missing so many (in particular Robyn)??? and actually, tmw (assuming) they'll be missing four. yikes...

and actually... the last time they lost a season-opener (in 1983, which was 5 years... 6 seasons) before ME, they were 19-1-0 and national champs. i mean... hey... could happen again. ((and i counted-- if UNC makes it 2 the nt'l championship game, there's 28 possible games for them to play.))

11. lovinsoccer

lovinsoccer New Member

Jan 17, 2005
    from waht a friend of mine said it looks like 4 backs but it isn't its just the way they rotate them depending on where the ball is....I owuld be shocked b/c anson loves the 3 backs but i agree at times 4 backs in the last few years owuld have been nice. he said the box score shoed only 3 mids but said that was a mistake no way if they were going to do that the last few years possibly but not this year yet..we need 4 mids not a 4-3-3....but thank God its early...Go Heels

12. tarheelfan490

tarheelfan490 New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    arlington, va
    does anyone know where to follow the game today? tarheelblue didn't have a gametracker listed. (not being there is killing me. hopefully these will be the only games i miss this season)

13. BoxxRocks

BoxxRocks Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Club:
    Carolina
    I heard there would be an SMU-sourced live video feed, but I'm still poking around on their site trying to find it. If / when I succeed I will post a link (or if anyone has it already please do so).

[... a little later...]

Ok, making some progress but it isn't straightforward.

You can try this:

javascript:window.open('http://all-access.cstv.com/cstv/player/player.html?code=smu','VideoBroadcastMediaPlayer','toolbar=no,resizable=no,scrollbars=no,width=1000,height=690' ); void('');

Or you go to the link below, and when you get there look on the right-hand side beneath the "Purchase Tickets" folder tab, there's a box labelled "Mustang All-access", you should see a link "W-soccer v. UNC -- free video". (It is the link above).

http://smumustangs.cstv.com/index-main.html

When I clicked it I got a message saying I needed to install Internet Explorer v6 to access it -- so I'm off to do that now.

hth,

BoxxRocks

14. BoxxRocks

BoxxRocks Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Club:
    Carolina
    Well, the SMU link said the video feed was free, but when you get there (cstv.com) it says you have to subscribe (1 month minimum @$6.75 or so) to get this "premium content"

15. speedoblobb

speedoblobb New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    CHAPEL HILL
    Anybody know who won the game? The NATS had four Tar Heels on the field. Must be hot in Texas.

16. lovinsoccer

lovinsoccer New Member

Jan 17, 2005
    tarheels should beat smu without national team players there if not we are in trouble..any unc 11 should be able to take on smu.

17. MoHeelfan

MoHeelfan Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Ozarks
  18. BoxxRocks

BoxxRocks Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Club:
    Carolina
  19. tarheelfan490

tarheelfan490 New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    arlington, va
    there's a write up on tarheelblue now, too. interesting who got playing time and how much

20. Upper90. Inc.

Upper90. Inc. New Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Dallas

Both goals were rockets and several more just missed the mark. I would hate to be standing in a wall 10 yard away after having seen about six of those ball deflating blasts.

21. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. casocrfan

casocrfan Member

Nov 25, 2004
    San Francisco
    HA! UCLA, Portland and UNC are the seventh, eighth and ninth best teams in the Nation? All three of these teams were on the ROAD against very good opponents during the first weekend of the season with significant players absent. All three of threse teams will be in the top 5 by the end of the season. These rankings are way off...

23. YHUGDAD

YHUGDAD New Member

Jun 17, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Hey...stop complaining. Georgia is 2-0...we should be ranked higher than UNC.

24. tarheelfan490

tarheelfan490 New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    arlington, va
  25. YHUGDAD

YHUGDAD New Member

Jun 17, 2005
    Massachusetts
    GO DAWGS!!! If you follow Soccer America's logic we would be. The rankings mean nothing unless you're talking about the one that is power ranked...I think it is called "Jones" (not sure). It will all come out in the end like someone said earlier. These early match ups are interesting though.