2006 UConn Huskies [R]

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by GEORGY, Aug 26, 2006.

1. GEORGY

GEORGY New Member

Mar 26, 2001
    Not a bad start for UConn. Granted they weren't playing the toughest team on their schedule, but a nice chance to get some freshmen involved and feeling comfortable. Overall I think they looked pretty strong. Will get stronger with the Canadian Nationals and Schnur returning. Starting lineup worked well together. Much prefer seeing Cross playing in an attacking role, but I can see her value to the backline. A couple nice saves off the line. The return of Radchuck might mean Cross getting pushed up. Maine on Sunday, then the real test next weekend with UNC and Duke.

2. GEORGY

GEORGY New Member

Mar 26, 2001
    http://www.uconnhuskies.com/AllStories/WSoccer/2006/08/27/20060827.html

Tough tie today, 1-1 vs Maine. The weather really took the Huskies out of it, I think. They dominated, but definitely were not playing their game today. Things just weren't clicking. Maine was lucky to squeeze a goal in on the wet surface during a scramble off a corner.

Another solid game by Niki Cross with a nice goal off a corner kick. I like that the coach pushed her up front toward the end of the second half. Hopefully she'll spend more time up there. Freshman keeper Schwartz made a couple of great saves in the first half, and it was nice to see Labbe return from Russia. Freshman back Lauren Ebert also looked a lot more confident today. Will help a lot to have Schnur back next weekend. It's a big one...UNC and Duke.

3. GEORGY

GEORGY New Member

Mar 26, 2001
    Had to work tonight, so I could only listen. First half felt optimistic, second half sounded terrible. I think the team often lacks a sense of urgency when they are down. That's going to be a problem. Anyone attend the game that can comment on how we looked?

4. UConnRadioKid

UConnRadioKid New Member

Apr 25, 2005
    Hartford, CT, USA
    UConn leads Duke 2-0 in the 1st Half. The audio is available at WHUS.org

Goals by Schnur (1st Min) and Taylor (25th Min).

5. GEORGY

GEORGY New Member

Mar 26, 2001
    Sounds like they are playing more aggressively today. Defense appears to be playing the trap well this weekend. Let's hope they play a complete second half today.

6. tarheelfan490

tarheelfan490 New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    arlington, va
    saw the carolina game and the first half of the dook game and just wanted to say that #13 (brittany taylor?) is really good. uconn played very well against dook from what i saw

7. GEORGY

GEORGY New Member

Mar 26, 2001
  8. UConnRadioKid

UConnRadioKid New Member

Apr 25, 2005
    Hartford, CT, USA
    UConn loses at Villanova and Georgetown to complete a bad weekend. Could this team actually miss the NCAAs?