2006 UCLA Bruins

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by BruinEPLfan, Aug 23, 2006.

1. pantone159

pantone159 New Member

Oct 12, 2002
    Austin
    The NCAA bracket actually makes sense!

This statement may seem ridiculous, but the key to enlightenment, is to close your eyes, and forget the nominal numbers that the NCAA gave as 'seeds'. Then open your eyes, and look at how the teams are actually bracketed.

If I ranked the actual 16 teams in the bracket, in order I would have:
    1 - UCLA
    2 - Portland
    3 - Texas
    4 - Florida

What is the most fair way to pair these? Why 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3, of course. The bracket is paired exactly like this! The home-field in the first two rounds is also perfectly fair. Only one seed gets to host, and it is the top seed, UCLA.

So far, this is all perfectly fair and accurate, in that the teams that SHOULD get the best path DO get the best path.

The only breakdown, is that 3-Texas would get home field in the 3rd and 4th rounds, when it ought to be 2-Portland and 1-UCLA with that advantage. Ok, the committee isn't *perfect* but they were actually close.

As long as you don't look at the nominal numbers that the NCAA wrote next to anybody's name, all is clear.

2. BruinEPLfan

BruinEPLfan New Member

Aug 12, 2006
    So Cal
    Re: The NCAA bracket actually makes sense!

Makes sense to me. Very odd, but you're correct. It does appear to work out this way.

3. Sophister

Sophister Member

Apr 14, 2004
    SoCal
    The bruins had to switch around their line-up for the unlv game due to injuries. Lydia Cook and Kristina Larsen out; Cat Calvert moves to defense and Lauren Switzer starts up front.

The game could have been titled, "A Tale of Two Halves." The first half was played like so many ucla games, lots of movement but not much scoring. Nice header, though, by Lauren Cheney off a header by Switzer off a throw-in. You could kind of picture the game ending 1 or 2 to zero.

Then came the wild second half. After DiMartino is tripped in the box Adams sinks the PK, the the goals just started to flow. To be honest a couple of goals were pure luck on shots off the frame. Earlier in the season these shots weren't going in but this is the time of year to get lucky.

I hope they play as well on Sunday, should be a good game.

Go bruins!

Sophister

4. casocrfan

casocrfan Member

Nov 25, 2004
    San Francisco
    did any of the UCLA fans watch the LMU-Fullerton game? What was it like?

5. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fullerton played well. They especially seemed to flow nicely from midfield to the attacking third. They didn’t penetrate the penalty area so much with dribbling or thru-balls; rather they seemed to find some space around the box, with some nice shots coming from just outside the box.

Fullerton also looked very good on their corner kicks and , in fact, scored the first goal off one. My impression was that on most of their corners they lined up by the back post and then the kicks hooked into the area with pace instead of being lofted in, making it hard to get too many defenders on the ball as well as freezing the goalkeeper on her line.

On the whole they looked more dangerous on the corners than UCLA did in their game against Las Vegas (although UCLA sure got a lot of them including one memorable series where they took 6 or 7 in a row).

In the 2nd half, Fullerton varied by playing a corner kick to the top of the box where the Fullerton player chipped it into the box where someone got a head on it directly in front of the goal. The keeper was beat but the ball wound up on top of the net.

Loyola Marymount started well. In the first several minutes, they had dangerous chances attacking on the right side of the box. Fullerton looked very vulnerable on that side (scouting tip to UCLA), but I don’t know what happened to LMU after that. In general, I just don’t think they played well - they had, for example, a hard time fielding simple passes in midifeld cleanly, which of course gives the defense time to pressure and messes up your transition to the attack. After those first 10 minutes, LMU seemed to spend very little time in their attacking third, which is reflected in the shot statistics.

Too bad for LMU which had a great crew of supporters at the game including 3 young fans in cobalt-blue bodypaint and glowing orange spiked-up hair.

Random scouting note: Fullerton’s Nicole Scheid (#9 , a transfer from Arizona) was very nifty with the ball in midfield, reminding me very much of UCLA’s Christina DiMartino.

Random trend observation: Fullerton’s offense seems to have hit its stride in the last 4 games. After scoring only 8 goals in 9 games (and being shut out 3 times), they’ve now scored 11 goals in 4.

The improvement is noticeable in head-to-head games:

After a scoreless tie earlier against Cal Poly, Fullerton won in conference tournament 2-1.

After losing to UC Santa Barbara earlier 4-1, Fullerton again won in the tournament 2-1.

6. Sophister

Sophister Member

Apr 14, 2004
    SoCal
    Ucla was very agressive today and managed 29 shots and 17 sog. Adams, Cheney and DiMartino were very active and looked really sharp. The stats for fullerton show 11 shots with 4 sog. The bruins allowed way too many shots and although it is not reflected in the stats 4 or 5 of the non-sog's were very dangerous; just missing by a fraction. I hope the bruins play a tighter defense against florida next week or there could be problems.

Go bruins!

Sophister

7. BruinEPLfan

BruinEPLfan New Member

Aug 12, 2006
    So Cal
    I agree. Other teams may have put away a couple of those chances and we may have had a different game. However, UCLA might have manufactured more goals if that had been the case. As it was, the Fullerton goalkeeper kept her team in the game. She made a number of nice saves, otherwise the game would have gotten out of hand for Fullerton.

Nice offense by UCLA today. DiMartino was very active again. UCLA's second goal came as a result of DiMartino beating the defense and crossing the ball. It appeared that one Bruin touched it but it ended up at the feet of Adams who tapped it in. DiMartino assisted on the third goal headed in by Adams early in the second half. The first goal was classic Cheney who, with her back to the goal in the box, turned on the defender and nailed the shot. I thought Lindstrom and M. Zerboni played well in the midfield.

UCLA began the game with a 3 back defense with another defender (Calvert) man marking #6 on the Titans. She shut her down. I've been impressed with Calvert on defense. She's had a fine year overall. UCLA has had trouble with fast players on the outside this year, and Fullerton was able to get behind the outside defenders a few times, especially early in the game, which caused some of the problems mentioned above. But the Bruins are very fast in the middle defense with Hardy, and Fullerton's small forward was unable to do much. Fullerton's goal came off a corner kick. After going up 2-0, the Bruins fell back into a flat four defense.

Good win today. Next up at home, Florida on Friday at 7:00.

Go Bruins!

8. Sophister

Sophister Member

Apr 14, 2004
    SoCal
    Ucla played the florida in the ncaa 3rd round back in 2001. The game was played in Drake Stadium. At the time #3 ucla was 20-2 while #6 florida was 20-3-1. This was the florida team that included Abby Wambach, although she didn't score. The game went into double overtime with florida winning 1-0. Ucla will have a chance to avenge that defeat next Friday.

Go bruins!

Sophister

9. Sophister

Sophister Member

Apr 14, 2004
    SoCal

Correction, ucla's game against florida was a 4th round game in 2001 not a 3rd round.

The go bruins! part still holds though.

Soiphister

10. l'AJA

l'AJA New Member

May 19, 2002
    Garden Grove, Calif.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen UCLA seven times this season. The Bruins seem to have lifted their game in the NCAA tournament, although UNLV was not competitive and CSUF, although it came on strong end of the year, played the last half of the season without its two biggest offensive threats. (One injured, the other academically ineligible - don't think she played at all.)

The front six or seven compare favorably with anyone in the country. Danesha Adams' speed really bothers opponents, and she's really become a fine soccer player - as opposed to a great athlete who is a good player. Lauren Cheney's combination of size, strength and skill is dangerous, but she needs a provider. She and Adams have really developed a nice rapport up front.

They get most of the acclaim because of their numbers, but UCLA's genius is Tina DiMartino. One of the best creative midfielders I've ever seen in college soccer. Very tricky, and she makes opposing midfielders and defenders look silly. And she's willing to track back and defend. It seems every good thing UCLA does goes through her.

I like Bristyn Davis as an attacking right back, and Erin Hardy is really classy in the middle, but I think UCLA's backline could be exposed against Portland or in the final four against UNC or Notre Dame. Val Henderson remains one of the best GKs in college soccer, but I don't think she's been as good this year as last year. The best college GK I saw this year was Fullerton's Karen Bardsley, who made seven world-class saves against UCLA in the second-round game.

Stacy Lindstrom is critical anchoring midfield. Her lack of speed means she'll never be a national-teamer IMO, but she's critical to UCLA's midfield defense. Cat Calvert is a real hustler, and Lauren Switzer really has come on. I like her in an attacking role.

McCall Zerboni is solid support for DiMartino, more so as she gets healthier, and Stephanie Kron -- for too long less than 100 pct -- played really well off the bench against UNLV and CSUF.

UCLA was my preseason pick to win it all, but losing Kara Lang hurt and losing Mary Castelanelli -- the best left back in the country, IMO -- may keep the Bruins from the trophy. Notre Dame seems special this year (Jerry Smith told me in September they were the best team he'd seen in 20 years, which is something given how great UNC was in 2003), and UNC looks really sharp.

Portland isn't as good as it was last year, not with Sinclair gone and the better Rapinoe hurt, but I never put anything past the Pilots, especially with Angie Woznuk on the field. Florida State is the other team I could see winning the title.

Florida is always so athletic, but I can't see them staying with UCLA this weekend. My guess is UCLA 3-0 or 3-1, but anything can happen in this sport, as Texas A&M showed us a few years ago.

I went 28-4 in the first round and 13-3 in the second. Here's my third-round picks:

UNC over Tennessee (2-0)
    Virginia over Texas A&M (3-2)
    UCLA over Florida (3-0)
    Portland over Texas (2-0)
    Stanford over Clemson (1-0 or PKs)
    Florida State over Illinois (4-0)
    Penn State over BC (3-0)
    Notre Dame over Colorado (3-1)

11. BruinEPLfan

BruinEPLfan New Member

Aug 12, 2006
    So Cal
    Thanks, I'AJA, for an informed and excellent scouting report on the Bruins. You're pretty much right on. Yes, when UCLA lost Castelenalli during the season, the road to the championship got tougher. The Bruins should be able to score on any team left in the tournament. But the UCLA defense wll need to play at a high level to win this thing.

Go Bruins!

P.S. I think we're on the same page with our picks this weekend, except that I'm picking Texas A&M to beat Virginia. I'm also picking Portland because if they win, the quarterfinal game will be at UCLA. That rematch would provide an opportunity for UCLA to avenge last year's NCAA final loss. But yes, Portland is dangerous. So may be Texas. But it does seem that this UCLA team has raised its game. I believe they'll be ready for any opponent, including a good Florida team on Friday.

12. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: 2006 UCLA Bruins/matchup of styles

For readers of this forum, UCLA & Florida should be a very interesting matchup of styles, not only on account of the teams themselves but on acount of the criticisms by their own fans! Ironically, both teams have been criticized by their own fans for not playing more like the other side! Florida for too much passing, possession and slow buildup; UCLA for direct attack and long balls to their forwards!

From the Florida thread:

<<Florida fell into the same trap as they did at Kentucky. The middle was clogged, yet they still tried to force passes through the middle.>> UFGator98

<<There are times when you may have to put a ball over the top and run on to it. Has anyone else realized besides me that we have one of the fastest teams in the country? Why not take advantage of this.>> CaliGator Mom

<<I heard the commentators saying that UF is trying to play, "total football", that's fine, but "total" means scoring goals, the main objective of the game [...] I would love to hear the names of the offense being called more than, defense passing to defense passing to defense.>>CaliGator Mom

<<That's the frustrating part, the system isn't designed to use the team speed. They want to play this pretty style that strings 5-6 passes together, but that doesn't utilize the greatest asset the team has and that is their speed. The passing allows the defense to recover. A long ball over the top has to be in the arsenal for this team and it just doesn't seem to be.>> UFGator98

<<The Gator offense would be more potent if they would serve the ball out of the defense occasionally. They do use the full width of the field, but the long ball will also open up the length of the field.>> G8RDAD

From the UCLA thread:

<<my only criticism is that their attack is very direct. I don't see a lot of creativity and movement and that makes it easier for the top teams to defend.>> casocrfan

<<My big concern about the bruin offense is that it seems to be a one-trick-pony. I can't begin to count the number of times Sunday that they tried to put it over the top for a forward to run onto the ball.>> sophister

<<They appeared very uncreative going straight at the Broncos defense which had 4-6 players back. UCLA did not send passes wide to stretch the defense and instead tried either to go through the defense with the ball or tried through balls straight up the center.>> BruinEPLfan

Will Bruin fans and Gator fans switch allegiances during the game?!! Is the grass greener on the other side of the country?! Straight hair or curly hair?!

13. BruinEPLfan

BruinEPLfan New Member

Aug 12, 2006
    So Cal
    Re: 2006 UCLA Bruins/matchup of styles

kolabear, this is what's good about this forum--the analyses by knowledgable fans. Good recap of the comments.

However, though I can't speak for Florida, the quotes on UCLA don't hold true any longer, IMO. These quotes are about the Bruin team before or about the Santa Clara game, or at least before the Cal game. At this point in the season, UCLA's offense is not predictable in the sense that it is so direct and straightforward. A lot of the offense is going through DiMartino, as I'AJA pointed out. It's also coming from Zerboni and Lindstrom in the middle. The outside defenders are attacking, and Adams and Cheney are working well off of each other. Of course, what always is threatening for opponents is the ability to quickly counterstrike with a direct attack. UCLA is very good at that. But the offensive attack overall comes from all over the place. It has found its rhythm, thank goodness.

Go Bruins!

14. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: 2006 UCLA Bruins/ matchup of styles

Bruin EPLfan:
    “At this point in the season, UCLA's offense is not predictable in the sense that it is so direct and straightforward.”

Agreed! And as a fan of the UCLA women, I am very hopeful that Florida fans, and not us, will envy the dimension to the opponent’s offense on Friday night!

Having said that, I think it’s worth pointing out to people looking for a preview of UCLA’s game the extent to which UCLA’s women rely on long passes, or passes served up directly from the defense to the forwards. It’s a very noteworthy aspect to their style of play - Unusual, from what I’ve seen, among the top teams.

Like everybody else who watches UCLA, I am dazzled watching Christina DiMartino and her playmaking. But the most important element to UCLA’s attack (and I think what opens up the midfield and attacking zone for DiMartino) is UCLA’s unique ability to isolate its forwards and create scoring chances from it.

It isn’t possession soccer. (Florida fans - read and weep?!) When it doesn’t work 3 or 4 times in a row, it can seem very frustrating, even amateurish compared to a possession game, especially to someone relatively new to the game (like me). But when you see what Adams and Cheney can do and the havoc they create, it makes sense. I think Coach Ellis deserves a lot of credit for tailoring the offense to the special talents of her team. Without looking beyond Florida, which is going to be a tough challenge, I think UCLA’s style of play would give them a fighting chance against superb midfield teams like North Carolina or Portland.

That would be an interesting clash of styles.

Florida fans (“The middle was clogged, yet they still tried to force passes through the middle”) will understand what I’m trying to say - instead of playing right into North Carolina’s strength (their suffocating midfield) UCLA’s style would give them a chance to unbalance the game.

I love and admire the women’s game and so many teams and players in it, but I can say I’m very proud to be a UCLA fan these days. Not only because they’re a good team, not only because they’re “my team”, but because they’re one of the special teams with special talents and style. And I think many people can admire and appreciate them for what they add to the diversity of style in the college game.

15. SoCalSun

SoCalSun Member

Manchester United
    United States
    May 18, 2004
    Southern California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: 2006 UCLA Bruins/ matchup of styles

I share your feelings for UCLA. I try to go to most games at Drake, but have missed a few this year. I will certainly be there for the UFla game this Friday.
    I thought the loss of Kara and then Mary would be devestating but the Bruins have risen above those setbacks. On the subject, it seemed to me that during the early part of the season, Mary C. regularly advanced the ball to the offensive third, so I'm not sure I agree with the reference to playing long balls to the forwards. On the other hand if y'all were referring to Stacy's long pinpoint passes to players' feet, there are a few of those, but not generally from the backs. I love them!
    Aren't DiMartino's feet the fastest you have seen...almost as fast as CRon's

16. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: 2006 UCLA Bruins / styles (& sleeves)

“if y'all were referring to Stacy's long pinpoint passes to players' feet, there are a few of those, but not generally from the backs.”

“Aren't DiMartino's feet the fastest you have seen”

“during the early part of the season, Mary C. regularly advanced the ball to the offensive third, so I'm not sure I agree with the reference to playing long balls to the forwards”

SoCalSun -

I’m pretty new to the game so I’m sure some of my observations aren’t as keen as long-time observers. Yes, some of those passes may be coming from Lindstrom from the defensive midfield position. Also, I didn’t see the 1st two home games against SDSU and Long Beach St. when Adams & Cheney were still with the Under-20 National team in Moscow. (Although by the U Conn game, they were back and I’m sure the long ball game was back with them - 13 offsides! and a lot of great scoring chances to go with them)

But we certainly agree there is a lot to like about what this team brings to the game.

It was heartbreaking to see Mary Castelanelli go down in her senior year with a knee injury. It also seemed a serious blow to our chances in the NCAAs. (Fortunately for us, Bristyn Davis, a converted forward in her senior year, has been starting to do a very good job of filling the role that Castelanelli played)

As for 5’10 Stacy Lindstrom, there’s a young woman that I would hate to be found guilty of not giving credit to where credit is due!

Speaking of Stacy Lindstrom brings up, for me, one of the burning questions about this team. Namely, after Ms. Lindstrom graduates, who’s going to carry on the tradition of playing with her sleeves pulled up over her shoulder?

Now I know most people will find this silly, but damn it, I think this is a very, very serious issue. Since I started watching the team a couple years ago there have always been a few players who would pull up the sleeves sometime during a game. I can’t be the only one who's going to miss it.

Two years ago it was Lindsay Greco, defender Kendall Billingsley, and Jill Oakes.

Last year it was Oakes and Lindstrom.

Now it’s just Stacy, and she’s a senior.

I’m going to be bummed if Stacy is the last of the line but none of the young players are doing it; admittedly it takes the right kind of player to pull this off and set the right tone.

Who do we get to carry on the tradition?

17. SoCalSun

SoCalSun Member

Manchester United
    United States
    May 18, 2004
    Southern California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

(Fortunately for us, Bristyn Davis, a converted forward in her senior year, has been starting to do a very good job of filling the role that Castelanelli played)

Bristyn Davis played Right back for UCLA last year I believe. I haven't searched for it, but I believe she was blamed by some for defensive lapses during the PDX game.

18. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Flawless on the backline, UCLA's not. And they're not going to be with converted forwards & midfielders & freshmen back there. And you're not going to plug someone in back there and expect them to do everything a special player like Mary Castelanelli can do for you.

But what Bristyn Davis has done well the last part of the season is pick her spots to bring some offense from the backfield, like the cross leading to Stacy Lindstrom's game-winning header in overtime against USC.

(By the way, what or who is PDX? I can't figure that one out...)

19. SoCalSun

SoCalSun Member

Manchester United
    United States
    May 18, 2004
    Southern California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

(By the way, what or who is PDX? I can't figure that one out...)[/QUOTE]
    Airport code for Portland, OR, I use airport designations to identify cities. When there is only one team and the airport is well known. (I thought)

20. Sophister

Sophister Member

Apr 14, 2004
    SoCal

Defenders and keepers always get the blame when the opposing team scores. But if I had to diagnosis the problems that ucla had with Portland in the final last year, I would have to say the ucla lost the game in the midfield. Allowing the Portland midfield control the flow of the game made the defenders' job difficult to impossible. Portland was able to maintain offensive pressure for long periods of time enabling them to find cracks in the bruins defensive alignment.

Sophister

21. casocrfan

casocrfan Member

Nov 25, 2004
    San Francisco
    I would also say that UCLA's forwards carry a lot of the blame for letting the Portland defense hold the ball without pressure, therefore, allowing them to find the midfielders rather easily with longer passes that started the Pilot attack. This low pressure defense might have been the game plan and if it was then the coach deserves the blame.

22. BruinEPLfan

BruinEPLfan New Member

Aug 12, 2006
    So Cal

Sophister, I fully agree with you. Some of the midfield problems were pointed out during the telecast. Overall, UCLA had trouble dealing with Portland's speed in the midfield. I've seen improved play by UCLA's midfield this year, so while I expect Portland's speed to be a challenge, if UCLA and Portland both win and play each other in the next round, I anticipate the Bruins will be ready to match Portland's intensity this year. (However, if Portland is without its standout freshman forward for the Texas game, due to injury, it may be a moot argument even if UCLA wins. If they win tonight, the Bruins in that case may be headed to Austin for the quarterfinal.)

Go Bruins!

23. BruinEPLfan

BruinEPLfan New Member

Aug 12, 2006
    So Cal

I'd agree. Mary was a special player who was very dangerous and effective moving forward on offense, and she was able to get back on defense. She had speed and was very good defensively. Even if a player got by her, she was able to catch her and sometimes use her very good slide tackle. UCLA misses her greatly.

However, Bristyn brings a different game. She is much more physical than Mary. And she has been really effective herself offensively. I think she's improved defensively. UCLA's played better with her in that position since Mary got injured.

Go Bruins!

24. BruinEPLfan

BruinEPLfan New Member

Aug 12, 2006
    So Cal
    OK, I'll be the first to post on this new server or software or both or none of the above or whatever for bigsoccer. I'm on the west coast so it's just turned Sunday, and I've just discovered that this site is up and running again. (I must say that I don't know what neighborhood I was in on that other site that bigsoccer recommended to us during the down period, but I thought I was in a bad dream...some alternate reality. Very strange.)

UCLA 3 Florida 2

A hard fought game. Florida came in rather confident about knocking off the Bruins. It was evident in the stories on their site, and in how they acted during introductions. Confidence is a good thing. It led to an energy level that the Bruins did not match for a majority of the first half. Florida did not dominate, but they outplayed UCLA for about the first 30-35 minutes of the half. Just a few minutes in, the Bruin defense allowed Florida's Elliott to get off an uncontested shot just outside the box. She sent a rocket into the upper side of the net (far post). Henderson did not get it and Florida was up 1-0. A perfect shot, but I'm curious to others' opinions on whether Henderson should have stopped it. At that point, I'm wondering what kind of game we were in for. The goal only increased Florida's energy level. But just a couple of minutes later, Florida was called for a hand ball in the box, and Adams converted the PK to tie the score. I did not see the hand ball, but when I listened to the game later on the internet, the announcers said that it was a call that had to be made. Others (Bruin fans) said the same thing. Whatever the case, it was a break for UCLA. The last 10-15 minutes of the half was all UCLA. The Florida keeper made a number of very good saves to keep the score even. But UCLA was creating good opportunities and had the field of play.

The Bruins kept up the pressure in the second half and scored two more goals. The first in the half was by Cheney just outside the top of the box. She looked a couple of different ways to pass, but when those lanes were not open, she turned on the defender and sent a shot into the upper V, just over the keeper. Great shot. UCLA 2 Florida 1. Then a few minutes later, with a number of Bruins in front of the goal, Cheney passed laterally to DiMartino who one touched it off a Florida defender into the goal. UCLA 3 Florida 1. Before that second goal and after, UCLA had a number of opportunities it either didn't finish or that were thwarted by Florida's keeper. The Bruins were totally outplaying the Gators. The score should have been 4 or 5 to 1. Of course, by the end of the game, Florida was also looking at lost opportunities.

UCLA controlled most of the second half, but with about 10 minutes to play, with Florida sending most of its players forward, UCLA appeared to me to go into a prevent defense with most of its players back. Jillian also subbed liberally. The combination allowed Florida to continue to attack offensively. Most of its attack was not dangerous until the 88th minute when a perfect pass was made through the defense. Florida's striker did well to get it and fend off Hardy who caught her, and while falling, got a shot off that got by an approaching Henderson.

Then what followed was wild. Florida was back in the game, but there were about 2 minutes left. They kept attacking effectively and with about 35 seconds left, got a call and a direct kick from outside the top of the box. With about 20 seconds left, Florida sent a great ball into the mix in the box. Henderson called for it and went to get it but didn't. Florida's Elliott headed a perfect shot to the goal past Henderson just below the crossbar. Fortunately, and incredibly, 5'11" Lindstrom was standing on the line and headed it out of the area. Florida quickly got back in the box and with bodies falling, the ref called a goal kick for UCLA and the last seconds were called out by the announcer. Unbelievable.

Kudos to Florida for being a very worthy opponent. They are big and quick. They began with a lot of emotion and ended with never giving up. Looking at the overall game, it was a game of runs, two major ones. In that way, I'd call the game even. I think UCLA learned to never again think it has a game wrapped up like this one. At least they should have learned that. Florida's coach was quoted as saying she wished they could play UCLA tomorrow. Well, if that would happen, I would expect UCLA to be ready. But I like the swagger. Florida is an excellent team. I don't know how they only beat Marquette in PKs, but they were up for this game.

As for UCLA, they'll have to play better for 90 minutes. They did control the last of the first half and most of the second half. But this game has been like so many others where UCLA controls the game, gets the lead and then hangs on.

It can only help the team to have come back from an early deficit. Last year in the playoffs, they bowled over everyone, and then didn't respond to Portland. So, this game can only help.

Winning is the name of the game. Scoreboard is all that matters. And UCLA won this one without its standout goalkeeper having a good game, IMO. I thought they played well as a team defensively. Even though they scored 3 goals, I didn't think it was one of their better games offensively, but Florida is known for their defense, and perhaps that is why.

And I'm wondering what happened in the last 10 minutes with UCLA's prevent defense. Perhaps it was because our midfield tracked back to cover Florida's midfield who went forward, but with the Bruins so compacted, there were few lanes to pass to once they got the ball. So it went out to Florida's back line at midfield who sent it right back in. It was inevitable that eventually they would find a way to score. I also have to question the liberal substitutions Jillian made once UCLA went up 3-1. I'm always happy to see players get time, and it did work out ulitmately, but it may have allowed Florida to find its rhythm again.

I'm interested in others' take on the game.

Go Bruins!

25. Cali-Gator Mom

Cali-Gator Mom New Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Job well done by the Bruins. I thought the game was very entertaining and both teams worked hard. After complaining about the Gators attempt to possess the ball all season, I will concede that I do not believe the grass is greener. I saw the over the top game a bit from the Bruins and now see, the Gators just need more work to play a faster possession game. The Bruins got the win and that's what matters. There's no points given for style. Good Luck, maybe the third time can be a charm.