2006 Stadia

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Doc_Aeppler, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doc_Aeppler

Doc_Aeppler Member

May 27, 2003
    Frankfurt
    This is a thread for news and pics of the World Cup Stadiums and construction sites!

If you have interesting news, or awesome pics, please post em here and lets discuss em... ;)

Doc

2. Doc_Aeppler

Doc_Aeppler Member

May 27, 2003
    Frankfurt
    Ill go ahead and stat with news from the Waldstadium!

The roof on the Eastern-stand is almost done.
    [​IMG]
    They say it will get a lot lighter once it has been on there a couple weeks... Im glad cos I dont like that brown too much...
    The rest of teh roof is supposed to be all done before christmas break...
    [​IMG]

3. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Very nice, I don't think the brown is too bad.
    Is this kind of roof known to be good for acoustics?

Here's a panorama from the new Niedersachsenstadion, taken from http://www.rote-erleuchtung.de/.

[​IMG]

Atmosphere wasn't too good though!

4. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    allianz Arena

[​IMG]

5. Doc_Aeppler

Doc_Aeppler Member

May 27, 2003
    Frankfurt
    I liked that link you gave!
    some nice pics!
    [​IMG]
    Arena auf Schalke

6. Doc_Aeppler

Doc_Aeppler Member

May 27, 2003
    Frankfurt
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like those two from the waldstadion... They have "Metropolis" written all over it... :)

7. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
  8. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
  9. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
  10. Doc_Aeppler

Doc_Aeppler Member

May 27, 2003
    Frankfurt
    Time for an update from the waldstadium, Frankfurt!
    As you can see its movin on quickly and to be fully completed by April, I think.
    Here's a nice shot, probably made while landing on FRA International Airport.
    Quite a pretty view that those airtravellers get there....
    [​IMG]

And one from the inside. The outer roof is now done all around. That black walkway that you can see,
    like 5 meters in front of the roof is where all the Sound and Lights are on.
    It seems like it has been completed this last week, cos it wasnt all the way around yet last friday night for the game...
    On the very right you can see that clear plastic-plates are put in between the walkway and the roof,
    to make sure that also the seats all the way upfront dont get wet...
    [​IMG]

all pictures from www.neues-waldstadion.de <-- Check it out :)

greetz, Doc

11. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What an ugly eagle on the seats ;-)

12. herewego

herewego Member

Jun 1, 2004
  13. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    question

For the WC will they have to remove the stands and place in seats or are they employing stadiums as all-seaters? (I know only a few that are all seaters in Germany I believe.)

How the hell does the Allianz arena glow like that? Does it spell out TOR! when someone scores?

Stadiums that will be used, fill in my info if wrong....

Schalke - Arena auf Schalke (completed)
    Hamburg - Stadion Hamburg (completed)
    Hannover - Niedersachsenstadion [AWD Arena] (completly rennovated - is this open yet?)
    Berlin - Olympiastadion (slight renovation - will end this season?)
    Dortmund - Westfalenstadion (completed)
    Leipzig - Zentralstadion (completed)
    Cologne - Stadion Koln [Rhien energy] (completed)
    Frankfurt - Waldstadion (rennovation underway)
    Kaiserslautern - Fritz Walter stadion (rennovation underway)
    Nurenburg - Frankenstadion - (rennovation set for completion in the summer.)
    Stuttgart - Gottlieb Daimler - (slight renovation underway)
    Munich - Allianz Arena (completion in the summer)

Also not on WC list, but a new stadium nonetheless is the Borussia Park home of Monchengladbach.

14. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    I think Berlin and Hannover are already completed (or at least very close to) too.

15. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Hanover is closed to being complete, it was open all the time while rennovation, but the roof leacks for example so they'll have to fix that... will be completely done this winter or next summer, no idea ;-)

16. nach0king

nach0king Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Dallas Proper
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Is Zentralstadion used by a club?

17. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yes, Lok Leibzig, abot 10 000 fans/game/11th(lowest)german league due to financial bancrupt6.
    And VFB leibzig, 5 000 Fans or so a Game, 4th League I think...
    And one of them was the first German champion...

18. nach0king

nach0king Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Dallas Proper
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Lowest level? I assume they win every game? Coz I remember them being quite a big club once...

Edit: Never mind... I just checked:

http://www.lok-leipzig.com/index2.html

Played 10, won 10, scored 104, conceded 5.

19. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Doc_Aeppler

Doc_Aeppler Member

May 27, 2003
    Frankfurt
  21. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
  22. Grizzly

Grizzly Member

Dec 16, 2004
    Montreal
    You really should not answer questions if you don't know the answer to them.

First of all there are two main clubs in Leipzig but they are not LOK and VfB which are actually the same club. VfB was the original name of the club under which they were the 1st German champion but during the GDR it was changed to LOKomotive due to sponsorship from GDR Rail. After reunification they changed it back to VfB but then since they went bankrupt and the club was stricken from the club register and could only be refounded with a new name so they reverted to LOK which is what everyone called them anyway regardless of the official name. The other team in Leipzig is Sachsen Leipzig previously known as BSG Chemie Leipzig in the DDR and always referred to as Chemie. They play in the 4th division. Both teams have suffered from poor management and a split in funding caused by having two teams in the city instead of one. The average casual soccer fan in Leipzig would probably support whichever club is ahead but the hardcore fans absolutely hate each other. Without getting into all of the reasons behind this, LOK was a favoured party team in the DDR and received far more financial support and benefitted from forced player transfers whereas being a Chemie fan was one of the few forms of protest against the regime one could get away with. LOK always played in the top GDR league and won the Cup several times which allowed them to play in European competition. They were once finalists in the Cup Winner's Cup but never managed to win the GDR league title. Chemie bounced between the 1st and 2nd division of the GDR league but did manage to win the title twice much to the displeasure of league officials. As I Chemie fan I won't claim to be entirely unbiased in my opinions but LOK is definitely the club with the far greater hooligan problem and also a great deal of neo-Nazi fans (which is one reason I like most other foreigners in Leipzig drifted over to the far more tolerant Chemie). LOK has one rivalry just as equally heated as with Chemie and that is with Dynamo Dresden. Basically if you ever want to attend a riot in Leipzig attend a Leipzig derby or a Dynamo-LOK match.

Both teams have their own stadium. The LOK stadium is a pretty run down GDR style stadium of 15 000 to 20 000 capacity. Sachsen's stadium of similar size is also old but in much better condition and has a style similar to many traditional english stadiums. Both teams played in Zentralstadium when their games warranted it and since LOK during most of the GDR had the better team playing at a higher level they played here more often than Chemie (perhaps explaining why Chemie's stadium is in better condition). LOK fans consider the Zentralstadium to be theirs because of this although obviously Chemikers dispute this. In reality this stadium belongs to neither side and only holds those events of either team warranting the stadium. The current situation is that LOK plays at their own stadium and away at the other 11th div. stadiums in the city while Sachsen plays in the Zentralestadium. Sachsen's own stadium is perfectly fine for 4th division matches and actually has a much better atmosphere given the typical crowd size. The majority of fans want the club to move back to its own stadium and sometimes chant this during games. It is not that they don't like the new stadium which is quite beautiful but that there isn't much atmosphere to 4th division games which range between 2 000 and 6 000 fans sitting in a 45 000 seat stadium. However, it would look bad for the city and stadium officials if noone was playing in the stadium now that it is built so they pay Sachsen to play there.

The thing that has everyone confused is the 11th division game that LOK played to 11 000 fans. This was a clever scheme meant largely as a provocation of Sachsen fans, i.e. to show them that Zentralestadium was LOK's not Sachsen's and to play there and outdraw Sachsen even while playing in the 11th division. They staged and heavily promoted this game which featured not only the game but a show and at very low ticket prices. Many of the fans were not necessarily LOK or even soccer fans but were there for the event, a fact which also helped to avoid the hooligan problems that often occur at LOK games. It came off perfectly and got them great publicity throughout Germany most of which thinks they get 11000 for every game. In fact they get about 2 000 for their home games which is still good for the 11th div. but is basically their hardcore support. Sachsen draws a bit higher than this but at obviously substantially higher ticket prices. When they were both in the 4th division recently Sachsen was slightly outdrawing LOK.

There is also another lower (maybe 7th or 8th div.) team in Leipzig that draws quite well sometimes over 1000 and that is Roter Stern (Red Star). This is a leftist club with support along the lines of St. Pauli (i.e. punks and other leftists) and is allied with Sachsen against LOK. As LOK has very substantial neo-Nazi and right wing support, when it promotes to Roter Stern's division there will be some games with huge fan numbers but also huge chances for violent fan clashes. The one thing that everyone agrees on is that the professional soccer situation in Leipzig is in a terrible state at the moment especially with a first class Bundesliga facility in the city and enough fans who would support any team that managed to reach a decent league level.

23. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    Top posting once again. Though I know the stuff you are writing very well this is a deep insight look for foreigners.

Keep it up!

24. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
  25. Grizzly

Grizzly Member

Dec 16, 2004
    Montreal
    Pictures from Leipzig

Old Zentralstadion (Largest Stadium in Germany)
    [​IMG]

New Zentralstadion Built Inside Old Stadium (World Cup and currently FC Sachsen)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Pictures from www.worldstadiums.com and www.stadiens-sachsen.de (site has good info on soccer in Leipzig, both teams and Derby history in German for anyone interested)