2006 Open Cup

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by VioletCrown, Dec 30, 2005.

1. jefbal99

jefbal99 New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Lansing, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the teams already know the format, it just hasn't been released to the general public yet. As my previous posts stated, my local PDL team knows that the first four games on their schedule will be both PDL games and USOC qualifying matches. Earn the most points and they are in. I don't forsee any major change from last years format

2. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    You are talking about the qualification format-- that is determined by PDL, not USSF. I am talking about the actual U.S. Open Cup format, which is determined by USSF. See the usopencup.com website for what I am talking about.

And even if there are no changes in the format, that does not excuse the lack of a timely announcement by USSF. All the more reason to announce the format early-- it's not as if they are debating the format behind closed doors and cannot make up their mind. (If the format is radically different from last year and that is the reason for the delay, I will eat my words with hot sauce on them.)

3. jefbal99

jefbal99 New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Lansing, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could be correct, in that the USSF says the PDL gets X number of spots and the league can figure it out from there how to divy them up. However, for the USSF to say that to the leagues, then they have to know what the format is. I know the US Open site and visit it everyday, hoping for an announcement, but its not there. Just face facts that we are looking at the same format as last season.

The USSF is much more worried about the World Cup and the MNT, than the US Open at this point.

4. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    You are correct about other things being more important to USSF. However, that will be even more the case as the next two months proceed.

So if USSF waits to make an announcement until the World Cup and MNT pressures lessen, the announcement won't come until June. Better to have announced the format and dates in December or January and then not have to worry about the USOC now, right when full preparations of the MNT for the WC are in full swing (and will continue to be in full swing until the end of May/beginning of June).

5. jefbal99

jefbal99 New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Lansing, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree 100% with everything you said, I just wanted to make sure you knew that things were getting done behind the scenes. Just not out in the general public. I'm pretty sure if you got a hold of somebody within a participating organization, that they could give you the dl.

6. Epikoinos

Epikoinos Soccer player-coach-manager-journalist

Arsenal, Real Salt Lake, Forward Madison
    United States
    Jan 6, 2004
    Oregon, WI
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    Nice timing based on the above exchange of posts yesterday.

Shoot, they didn't accept my recommendation of expanding to 8 USL 2nd teams, 13 PDL teams and 11 USASA/NPSL teams, while reducing the total number of play dates from 8 to 7. I was sure they would recognize the merit of my idea. ;)

Oh well, at least we have the dates now and official confirmation of the format.

8. Mr Fish

Mr Fish Member

Feb 2, 1999
    W. Orange <-> NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking forward to another great tournament, and more bitching about why more folks don't care as much as they should...

9. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    they are scheduled to play in a few weeks, as they also play in the same league and are both still in the National Amateur Cup.

10. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This weekly schedule for FSC shows a "Cal South National Cup Highlights" show for one-hour in late May. Interesting.

11. chn71

chn71 Member

Jul 23, 2000
    Elyria, Oh
    If this is true, maybe we can finally get some info on their Open Cup qualifying, since they have never been too quick to send the info when I've asked, and their fancy website is never updated.

12. emaddy

emaddy New Member

That's Cal South youth (U-14 to U-18) -- the finals are May 13-14.

13. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    For the Eastern PA slot, the Ukies will play UGH on 4/23.

14. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The Ukranian Nationals beat UGH 3-1 (they also beat Phoenix SC in the National Amateur Cup in the 7th round of penalties after being 3-3 at the end regular time and 4-4 at the end of overtime).

15. Emile

Emile Member

Oct 24, 2001
    dead in a ditch
    The USL qualifiers are getting close to wrapping up already.

In USL 2, Charlotte, Richmond, New Hampshire, and Cincinnati are already in and will likely all join in the second round. Pittsburgh and Western Mass are in the driver's seat for 1st round entry, although Wilmington has a chane to knock one of them out.

The PDL quallies are pretty interesting.

The Eastern Conference is still pretty wide open, because the teams have played the fewest games. The Virginia Beach Submariners are in good shape with two wins and two very winnable games remaining at home. Cape Cod has a good shot too, with a big game coming up at Rhode Island, and Williamsburg has a very easy schedule left and a good path to qualification if VB or Cape Cod slip up.

The Central has a lot of intrigue left as well, as last year's USL killer Des Moines sits on top but may get passed because of a loss to Kansas City. Four undefeated teams sit below them, and only two need to stay that way. Indiana, Chicago, and Michigan are three of them and Indiana plays the other two, so Des Moines needs them to trade skullpunches. Kansas City has one tough game left, at Boulder, but owns the tiebreaker over DM, so DM has to be sweating.

The Southern is pretty well wrapped up. The Carolina Dynamo clinched easily with four wins. They have a loaded college all-star roster. Laredo won in El Paso and looks a lock to make it as well. They can only not make it if they lose or tie at DFW and one of a handful of other teams goes on a big run.

The Western is also pretty far along, but a lot closer. The LA Storm got a big win in Bakersfield and can clinch if they can win at home against Orange County. Southern California is second on goal differential, but their last game is at Fresno, while Cascade and Yakima may have easier paths.

16. jefbal99

jefbal99 New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Lansing, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now I haven't been to the games because of medical issues, but from what I've been reading and hearing, the Michigan Bucks are playing some fantastic footie to open the season. I really hope they win their next two and have a good goal differential for qualification.

I want to get to a few US Open Cup games this year

17. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USL-2

Pittsburgh Riverhounds 4 1-1-2 5/12 8/15 41% 4 4 0
    Western Mass Pioneers 6 2-3-1 7/18 7/18 38% 6 7 -1
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Wilmington Hammerheads 4 0-1-3 3/12 6/15 25% 5 6 -1

The only way I can go to a USOC game is if Wilmington qualify, so I guess go Heads. :p

18. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    When does USSF announce the hosts of the qualifying round games and, more importantly, the first round games?

I think I will start a new thread about who hosts, where and when.

If I can dig it up, I will find the link from last year's threads to the document containing USSF's minimum standards for a facility to host an Open Cup game. I wonder if the minimum standards have been modified at all from last year.

19. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You might mean this doc http://images.ussoccer.com/Documents/cms/ussf/doc_6_350.pdf from the USSF Bylaws and Policies page http://www.ussoccer.com/governance/laws.jsp.html

Page 16 (or page 18 of the PDF file) gives (nothing spectacular here, though):

2001 U.S. Open Cup Stadium Requirements
    - All Open Cup Matches from Round 3 to the Final must guarantee:
    - A playing surface of at least 68 yds by 110 yds Smooth, flat, and level playing surface with natural grass
    - Clear and distinct field markings according to FIFA specifications
    - Goal nets and corner flags
    - Adequate lighting for night play
    - Electronic scoreboard in working order that counts up to 45 minutes when possible
    - Clear and audible public address system
    - Team benches to accommodate 14 personnel per team
    - Fourth official's table
    - An enclosed stadium for controlled ticket access; adequate tickets sales staff, ushers, security
    - Minimum seating capacity that is appropriate for the scheduled match/round.
    - Press box areas w/ phone and fax capabilities to accommodate at least 20 media members
    - Dressing rooms with working showers (either connected to stadium or in an adjacent structure) for teams, with an additional separate dressing area for the match officials
    - EMS vehicle on site, or emergency response procedures written and distributed.
    - Flag of the United States displayed and United States National Anthem played.
    - Sufficient floodlights for TV broadcasts.
    - Suitable area to park TV production truck.
    - The U.S. Open Cup Commissioner shall have the authority to waive or modify the stadium requirements for good cause, or may place additional conditions or requirements for hosting an Open Cup game.

20. goalscorer10

goalscorer10 New Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Does anyone know the locations for the Cup this year?
    (specifically ludlow, MA.)

21. Brad Cox

Brad Cox Member

Jul 23, 2000
    Elgin IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For locations go to www.usopencup.com and it has a schedule where games will be played for this wednesdays games and also 3rd round games. Don't see anything in Ludlow though. But go check it out for yourself and it should hopefully help.

22. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
  23. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should extend my congratulations to Dallas Roma FC being the last USASA team standing in the tournament.

Unfortunately, as Harry Truman once said, "The Buck Stops Here."

24. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    Ahhh great tournament so far... let's go Roma - I want to see a Dallas Roma FC vs. FC Dallas match... we'd always remember that one, even it its only a scoreline.

25. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be truly monumental, as it would have to happen in the semifinal. Roma has to make it through the Galaxy, and then the RSL - Colorado winner. Being as Chivas LA is better than any of those teams, I suppose it's doable, but the odds are very high against.