2006 Iowa College Soccer thread

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Buzz Killington, Aug 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL yeah.

And not directly 2006 Iowa college related, but more towards 2007, my brother signed on to play for Drake next year.

2. doolittledog2

doolittledog2 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Iowa
    Then you might just have to start the 2007 thread.

So if kuhnscoot played at div. III Central. Younger brother will play for div. I Drake. If we follow that line, then if there is yet another younger brother...he will go directly from high school to MLS!!!

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL, no there's no one younger. He's the youngest. My middle brother went to MU after being burned by UMR's coach. We coulda had us start at D-III, and work our way up. :)

4. sideways

sideways New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    "With the new coach and new stadium in 2008 they could pose a thorn in the side of the rest of the conference"

I've not been to Coe to see a game, but heard complaints from some visiting players about their field. Is it really that bad? If so, the new stadium will be very welcome. When will it be finished?

5. doolittledog2

doolittledog2 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Iowa

Hmm, well I know of the new coach and knew Coe was replacing their grass field with field turf...but have heard nothing of a new stadium for 2008.

Where did you see a new stadium was on the way???

Coe's grass field had really taken a beating the last few years. Due to complaints they are changing to field turf. It has always amazed me how some schools can have great looking grass fields while other schools have a mud bowl.

6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well my senior year at Central, we didn't play Coe on campus as we had my sophomore year, we played them at a local youth complex. This was back in the 04 season, I'd heard at the time that Coe was getting turf on their football field and that they'd play there.

That's one thing I'm glad Central didn't do, with the new turf on the football field I was worried they were gonna put the soccer field on it too. Thankfully Laidlaw was completely against it. Central's game fields is one of the best, if not the best, in the conference in my opinion.

7. FutbolArte2

FutbolArte2 New Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Denver
    I agree Central's home field is pretty nice, but everytime I played there it was raining/snowing...it didn't seem to drain too well.

It was still nice to play on grass. That field turf can be hard in your feet when it is 90 degrees and your feet are melting..

8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    have you played on their new field that was only finished in the past few years or did you play on the old field. The old field was crap at draining especially on the teams side. The new field is a bit better.

9. FutbolArte2

FutbolArte2 New Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Denver
    I played there for the last time in 2003. It was nice large field. It could have been the time of the year. It was the first round of conference tourney...not the best weather.

10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok, that was on the old field then. The new field helps drain a lot better.

So you went to Simpson?

11. FutbolArte2

FutbolArte2 New Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Denver
    Yeah..went from 2000-2004.

The new field sounds pretty nice...the older field really wasn't that bad besides the drainage.

I would also like to add...Watch out for Coe? ...really?

12. sideways

sideways New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Any early recruiting news? key additions or subtractions?

13. Dr. Brocktagon

Dr. Brocktagon New Member

Jan 5, 2007
    Ex-Cornell player here. I just wanted to clarify that Coe's new coach Homer is actually their old coach. He was there at least a couple of the years I played (96-2000). I thought they were easily the dirtiest team in the league when he was there.
    Maybe this will be the year Cornell is "good" and wins 8 or 9 games. Too bad we have never been able to get any good international players (like Wartburg) that can come in and dominate.

14. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no recruiting news, but Central is only losing one starter from this past seasons team.

15. doolittledog2

doolittledog2 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Iowa
    Hey Kuhnscoot, did Central ever ask you to "recruit" your brother???

I know Div. III doesn't offer scholarships but with the finantial aid packages they can put together for atheletes it can get pretty darn close.

Also, it has become somewhat of a joke among some Iowa Conference members about the lack of nightlife in Pella. Can you confirm this lack of anything to do or do you guys just have some well kept secrets you aren't sharing?:D

16. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd talked to Coach Laidlaw when I saw him at some tournaments my brother was at, but he never asked me to recruit him, I think he knew my brother was out of Central's grasp. My brother wanted to play D-1, and nothing was gonna stop that.

Well there's a bar in Pella now, shocking I know when you consider it's Pella, church capital per capita of the world. It's within walking distance of campus so that's a plus. Overall you make your own fun in Pella, usually inside your dorm or at some off campus house.

Or you do what half the campus seems to do on weekends, and go home :rolleyes:

17. FutbolArte2

FutbolArte2 New Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Denver
    They could always transfer to Simpson..like one player did. Same education...a little more fun. I do mean a little..

18. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah I know who you're referring to, I graduated in 05

19. sideways

sideways New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Loras isn't losing much to graduation, either. I thought they would have been down a little last year but they reloaded pretty well. Good coaching might be part of the reason. Frosh from Columbia was impressive.

20. sideways

sideways New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    "no recruiting news, but Central is only losing one starter from this past seasons team."

An outside mid is transferring to east coast school, also.

21. sideways

sideways New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Recruiting news from Central says Coach Laidlaw very happy! 3 kids from Illinois, one from Indiana and a D1 caliber kid from Iowa among others!

22. TLK1

TLK1 New Member

Oct 7, 2005
    Who is the D1 caliber player from Iowa and who did he play for?

23. sideways

sideways New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Sorry...I don't have any names. I'll have to pry my source some more. From what I've seen there are a lot of D1 caliber players in D3 Iowa conference anyway. Some incredible talent often on display that could fit in with many D1 programs. Same could be said in most any D3 conference.

24. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's true. Some people just don't want to leave their home state and don't get a good look from the only D1 program in Iowa, Drake. My best example of that that I know of is Cody Stoermer at Central. I'm sure he coulda gone D2 or NAIA, but came to Central instead.

25. TLK1

TLK1 New Member

Oct 7, 2005
    I'm not challenging, just wondering who the player is. I know this age group fairly well and thought most of the D1 talent was going D1.