2006 Iowa College Soccer thread

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Buzz Killington, Aug 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's surprisingly been Central's defense that's been the star this season, shutting teams out left and right. Not what I would have expected this year. Especially losing Conrad Vernon, 4 time all conference selection, but they've stepped up this year.

2. doolittledog2

doolittledog2 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Iowa
    Clive Charles was the head coach for both the mens and womans teams at Portland...and both were pretty regularly ranked programs. So you did see it a bit at the D-1 level as well.

3. duhawk4life

duhawk4life New Member

Aug 28, 2005
    Springfield, MO
    i cannot think of any other DI coach that does both mens and womens since clive at portland. obviously a reason you see it more often at the DIII level is due to the money aspect. Also you will find that a majority of DIII coaches that are full time hold some sort of other position. For instance in Wisconsin all DIII coaches that are full time must hold another position, ie. facility manager, recruiting position or teach classes to name a few.
    off the top if my head i don't know of any such rule in the IIAC but i know alot of coaches in the IIAC do other things around campus as well. for me i think having one coach do both is good in that their are no "cat fights" over practice times, game times, etc. but at the same time its interesting that most basketball, baseball/sofball teams don't share the same coaches.

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yea, most have other jobs. I know Laidlaw helps students that are on academic probation meeting with them about their classes, along with teaching a few classes, like "Fund. and Theories of Coaching Soccer." :)

5. duhawk4life

duhawk4life New Member

Aug 28, 2005
    Springfield, MO
    getting closer to tourney time.......and it looks like simpson is going to be hosting the tourney based on the womens standings. anyone have predictions as far as who will face eachother in the final. mine will be wartburg vs. loras----with wartburg having to much up top aka harrison for the DuHawks to handle. look for wartburg to win 3-1. and also don't be shocked to see both loras and wartburg in the NCAA tourney. loras is inching closer in the region poll and if the DuHawks actually pull off the conference title via upset. wartburg is for sure in, win or lose.

6. duhawk4life

duhawk4life New Member

Aug 28, 2005
    Springfield, MO
    always loved those theory classes, baseball,basketball,soccer and i think i even took a tennis one.
    heard a rumor that simpson might be going in another direction with their mens coach? cannot reveal my source but like i said earlier it might be the right move for the storm, bring back aziz(sp?)!!!!!!

7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we also had a theories class on raquet ball. :)

I'm gonna hold off on predictions until each of the teams have been decided, who is in and such first.

8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. sideways

sideways New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Wartburg's Matt Shepard, Luke McL, and Harrison K-L (twice) have also appeared on d3 kicks team of the week. Kudos to them too.

10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, I was just looking at IIAC's site tonight and saw Schreiber's inclusion on this weeks list.

11. sideways

sideways New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Some say that Wartburg and Central's seeds will not change win or lose. You played for Laidlaw, he wouldn't sandbag and lay down this game just to spring to life in the tournamnet, would he? Wartburg has a shot at a bye in first round so they should be firing on all cylinders, right?

12. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wartburg already has the first round bye secured. They're undefeated in conference right now. Central can only get the second seed, and the other first round bye, if they win and Loras loses to Coe who hasn't won all season. But I definitly don't see Laidlaw sandbagging tomorrow, although I do expect it to be close, maybe 1-0 or something to Wartburg.

13. sideways

sideways New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    That's what I thought you'd say. I think Laidlaw could not care less about theatrics, Loras' result or Wartburg's lineup. If there's a game to be played, he'll play to win. Even a tie would be a good result for the Dutch.

14. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Laidlaw is not the type to worry about other results, he'll go out looking to just take care of his business against Wartburg and let the chips fall as they may.

15. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Central defeats Wartburg 3-1 to finish out the season, and BV takes the last spot in the tournament making it another year of the same 6 teams that have made it since the 2002 season I believe. The interesting thing, is 3 of the 4 goals were scored between the 74th and the 76th minute, along with a yellow card to Wartburg's bench I assume right after they scored. Wonder what happened in that space of time.

#1 Wartburg (7-1)
    #2 Loras (7-1)
    #3 Central (6-1-1)
    #4 Simpson (5-3)
    #5 Luther (3-4-1)
    #6 Buena Vista (2-5-1)

So Luther travels to Simpson and BV travels to Central. Central gets a chance at revenge for the draw that coulda put them in a 3 way tie for first.

16. doolittledog2

doolittledog2 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Iowa
    Arrrggg!!! I thought Dubuque might just make the tourny this year. Oh well, at least they won their homecoming football game against Simpson. Also Dubuque anounced a $22 million gift to the university from an alumnus to revamp the football stadium and add a wellness center. Quite the turn around for UD since almost closing 7 years ago. Here is a link to the $22 million gift. http://www.thonline.com/article.cfm?id=136218

Here's to hoping Dubuque's soccer team can make a step up next season.

Good luck to the teams that made the tourny this year, and especially to whichever team or teams make the NCAA's this year.

17. sideways

sideways New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    kuhnie...you were right, there was no sandbagging in yesterday's Wart/Cent game. Reports of Wartburg freaking out in 2nd half. Thus the many fouls on the Knights. Reports of lots of trash talking that maybe got the coach a yellow. Next week will be great. Central does owe BVU a payback but maybe BVU has their number. We'll see.

18. duhawk4life

duhawk4life New Member

Aug 28, 2005
    Springfield, MO
    i still stand by my previous predictions on the tourney. loras v. wartburg in final w/ wartburg winning 3-1. congrats on central knocking off wartburg, was anyone at the game or know what really happened??
    i would find it hard to believe that wartburg wouldn't want to win the conference outright. but then again with the set up the way it is you really just want the bye so you can be in the final 4 automatically. and with the automatic berth going to the tourney champ not the regular season champ. should be an interesting weekend in indianola. don't hear that often:)

19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    found a quote by Laidlaw in an article about the Wartburg game, which is why I'm quoting this again.

“I told the players there's no such thing as a meaningless game,” said coach Garry Laidlaw.
    http://www.central.edu/athletics/soccermens/archive/102806.htm

20. sideways

sideways New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    I'm predicting Simpson and Central to advance today...and wanted to keep the Iowa thread near the top!

21. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are my preidictions as well. ALthough this year reminds me a lot of my senior year, Central tied BV at home, then lost in the conference tournament in overtime. We'll see what happens.

22. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Indeed. What a way to finish off the season losing 10-0 against Loras. One draw in 19 games played. Awful, simply awful.

23. sideways

sideways New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Luther winning in tournament play surprised me a little...especially at Simpson. Central won as I expected but it was closer than I thought it would be. BVU knows something about Central.

24. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Luther result is suprising but not shocking, Luther always seems to do well in the tournament, I think they've only once failed to reach at least the semifinals.

The Central-BV game looks to be a classic Central-BV game, at least classic like the last 4-5 years or so. Central greatly outshooting BV (31-4 in today's game) but failing to capitalize on all those shots or having those shots blocked by a stacked BV back line.

Here is the box score and PBP from the game.
    http://www.iowaconference.com/TASSOC/2006-MS/HTML/bvucen-t.htm

I counted 7 blocks by the defense, and 2 more off the post for Central.

25. sideways

sideways New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    I thinking that Loras will need another own goal or even 2 in order to get past Central this Friday. They did not look sharp when they met last time. Central will spring their secret weapon on them this game. Luther may have a sliver of hope after seeing that Wartburg can be beaten if you play defense. However, talent may rule the day as I see Wartburg advancing.