2006 Iowa College Soccer thread

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Buzz Killington, Aug 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duhawk4life

duhawk4life New Member

Aug 28, 2005
    Springfield, MO
    Couldn't agree with you more. Cornell and Coe are officially on the struggle bus.
    As far as someones comment earlier about DBQ beating Platteville, who has Plateville really played besides I think rochester from NY and UW-Whitewater that were worth anything. What I am getting at is their #9 ranking was from d3kicks.com and they were really over rated in that poll. They got killed by UW-Whitewater 4-0 at home and 3-0 against DBQ. And to show you how bad those rankings are Platteville is still ranked #23?!? Glad to hear the weather is shaping up to be a typical brutal fall season going into winter in iowa.

2. doolittledog2

doolittledog2 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Iowa
    Hey, don't rain on my parade!!!:D Dubuque seldom gets good news you know. We have to take what we can get.

3. duhawk4life

duhawk4life New Member

Aug 28, 2005
    Springfield, MO
    Not raining on your parade just saying UW-P was overrated. It was a good win for DBQ no question. I love the weather tag from the Loras v. UD game last nite------cold/windy/snowy!!!! And I was also glad to see Terry Vaughn is still doing IIAC games, always enjoyed him in the middle. What was the score doolittledog? j/k

4. sideways

sideways New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Cornell...welcome back to the living! We thought you weren't going to come out of the ICU this season. Quite a dogfight now for 5th and 6th in conference tourney. Simpson and Central should decide who ends up 3rd and 4th this Wed. Loras and Wartburg look to be locked onto 1st and 2nd. Simpson could end up 3rd, 4th or 5th depending on Luther and themselves. Luther could swim up to 4th.

5. sideways

sideways New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Well, Cornell...welcome back to reality but I think we all expected Wartburg to continue rolling. You've still got a chance for 3 more points against Simpson and with a little luck that may get you in the tourney. You'll need some help from the others in the hunt.

6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Central, DBQ, and Luther all win tonight.

Cornell could be in better position for a conference spot right now if not what I will assume is unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, the basis is outlined at the bottom of the standings here:
    http://www.iowaconference.com/men/soccer/2006-07/standings.htm

The top team's have all learned to keep their heads and have not lost points, while both Cornell and Coe have lost points due to this.

Looks like the 6th and final spot will be a nice little fight. 3 teams are fighting for it, with only 1 conference game left, and in a hole due to point penalties, Cornell is the long shot. This weekend BV travels to Loras and DBQ hosts Luther, which is shaping up to be pretty big. Depending on those results, the game on the 28th between BV and DBQ could have huge implications.

Wartburg I believe has the one seed tied up, while Central has clinched at least 3rd as both only have 1 game left in conference.

7. sideways

sideways New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    A week ago Luther looked to be a lock for post season tourney. Imagine this:

DBQ beats Luther which ties Luther on points(9) but DBQ owns head to head tiebreaker. BVU beats Loras and DBQ and finishes with (10) points. This leaves Luther out of tourney. BVU needs to play out of its mind.

Or this: Luther beats DBQ and then DBQ ties BVU after BVU loses to Loras. Points at that point are Luther (12) DBQ(7) and BVU(5). Cornell then beats Simpson to finish with (7) points. DBQ and Cornell finish with (7) points each and the head to head tie breaker goes to...drumroll....DBQ via 3-2 OT win. DBQ in tourney.

8. sideways

sideways New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Or this...Luther and DBQ tie. DBQ then loses to BVU. Luther (10) DBQ(7) BVU(5).

Then, BVU beats DBQ after BVU loses to Loras BVU now at(8)points and DBQ at (7). Cornell beats Simpson and ends at (7) Simpson at (9). Cornell and DBQ out. BVU in.

9. doolittledog2

doolittledog2 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Iowa
    I prefer to look at your scenarios that have DBQ in the post season tourney!!!

10. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please no. :eek: ;)

11. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So...Luther tied Dubuque 1-1.

12. sideways

sideways New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    It's happening!....Dubuque ties Luther and earns a valuable point. Loras beats BVU, as kind of expected. DBQ needs only a tie in next game against BVU to advance to tourney while BVU must have a win. Cornell/Simpson result later tonight could complicate this even more. Central beat St.Thomas(MIAC) today 1-0. First win versus MIAC opponent this year. Will play 7th MIAC opponent tomorrow. Loras probably guaranteed itself a 2nd place finish and first round bye today. Face last place Coe for final IIAC contest.

13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    actually that is win number 2, they beat Bethel this year 2-0. They're 2-3-1 this year against the MIAC.

Off topic, but I'd love it if IIAC and MIAC would get a "challenge" together on a weekend, like the Big 10-ACC challenge. I mean sure the teams play each other anyways, but set aside a weekend for it. Play it 1 year at a central location in Iowa, the next at 1 in MN. Bring down 9 MIAC teams and all the IIAC teams, 2 games each.

And it was Coe/Simpson tonight, Cornell/Simpson is next weekend.

14. sideways

sideways New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    "actually that is win number 2, they beat Bethel this year 2-0. They're 2-3-1 this year against the MIAC.

Off topic, but I'd love it if IIAC and MIAC would get a "challenge" together on a weekend, like the Big 10-ACC challenge. I mean sure the teams play each other anyways, but set aside a weekend for it. Play it 1 year at a central location in Iowa, the next at 1 in MN. Bring down 9 MIAC teams and all the IIAC teams, 2 games each.

And it was Coe/Simpson tonight, Cornell/Simpson is next weekend."

Ahh, accuracy is overrated, anyway!! Good for Central...maybe they can get to .500 with a win Sunday. (Is my math right?)
    Does Cornell have a shot if they beat Simpson? Three teams could end up with 7 points for final (6th) spot in tourney. I'll get back to you or you have your people call my people!

15. sideways

sideways New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    "Does Cornell have a shot if they beat Simpson? Three teams could end up with 7 points for final (6th) spot in tourney."

I'll answer my own question: If Cornell can beat Simpson AND BVU can beat DBQ, there will be 3 teams with 7 points(BVU and DBQ with 2 wins and a tie, Cornell with 3 wins minus some red card penalty points, I guess).

Each team is 1 win and 1 loss against the other two.

The next tie breaker would be "goal differential." At this point the goal differential winner would be.................Cornell!! How about that?!!!

16. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They better get back to .500 today, they play Concordia, who according to MIAC's website is 4-9-1 overall and 0-8-1 in conference.

17. sideways

sideways New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Yes, Cornell has received 2 penalty point deductions for 2 red card offenses. They could have 6 points instead of 4 and then would have only had to play for a tie. They have caused themselves to have to work a little harder. Coe is the only other team to have red card point deductions. Note: I think 3 or more hard yellows will also give a team penalty point deductions.

18 IIAC AND MIAC teams getting together on one weekend? Ratifying a constitutional amendment might be easier!

18. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yeah that'd be a little hard, but I mean teams play each other enough throughout the season, you'd think they could set aside 1 weekend for it, but whatever. Just a thought.

19. hoodink

hoodink New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    How much longer until Mello gets canned? When I played there he accepted and then decided against taking over at Stetson. The women have a winning record but the men's team has been slumping for a long time. I didn't think he was the greatest coach, but relied on his recruiting to get by. He doesn't seem to be able to bring in the best players anymore.

I'm far away from Iowa now and was wondering if anyone had heard any inside news.

20. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well as I mentioned earlier, I don't think it's that HIS recruiting has let him down, I think it's that the rest of the conference has just gotten better at recruiting.

And no I don't have any inside news.

21. duhawk4life

duhawk4life New Member

Aug 28, 2005
    Springfield, MO
    glad to see a luther alum speak up and voice some frustration:) in my day they were always the top dog and have really fell off on the men's side. i can say that i think kuhn has it partially right the conference has really gotten better overall as recruiting goes. but it seems also like each school has a base that they go after year in and year out. for example, loras gets a lot from chicago-rockford area with the help of a lot of catholic schools in those areas. wartburg seems to have a lock on top talent from iowa and also they walked into harrison who has helped propel that program into the next level, question for them will be can they sustain it. i think they will their coach is a very hardworker. but luther......he has not put the effort into the recruiting side as much as the other programs and it is really showing. his tag in the past for recruits was probably why go to some other IIAC school when we continue to beat them. and he can no longer use the tag as best iiac soccer school. it's an uphill battle at a lot of these schools to recruit simply because the midwest is so abundant with D3 schools as well.

on another note, if all these coaches stay the conference will only get better and will continue to garner national attention. i can only think of 3 maybe 4 schools that need to make a change in my eyes. can you guess the 3 for sures?????? Storm, Rams and Norse need to go in different directions.

22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll agree that those 3 need to do something. The Storm's decline has been a very mild one, but it seems like it's been going down very slowly since they won the conference quite a few years ago, they just seem to be in a VERY slow decline. Cornell has been struggling for a while now, I wanna say their last conference tournament was the 02 tournament, which coincidently was the last time that Wartburg, Loras, Central, Luther, Simpson, and BV weren't the 6 teams in the conference tournament. Luther seems to have stagnated more in the middle of the IIAC pack the past few years as teams like Loras and Wartburg have dominated the conference.

23. hoodink

hoodink New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    How many IIAC coaches are full time coaches. Wartburgs program really began to turn around when they decided to hire a full time coach. The last I knew Cornell coaches were just part time. Is it a DIII thing to have one coach for both men and women or is it just an Iowa thing?

24. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know Laidlaw is full time at Central, not sure about the rest of the conference, but I would think that most if not all of them are full time now. Central also has it's own women's coach as well. So it's not an Iowa thing to have both teams coached by 1 person.

25. sideways

sideways New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Central, gaining momentum? The Dutch come off a strong road performance with their defense shining. Can they derail the Wartburg train again this year? This may just end in a scoreless tie even though both offenses have had praise heaped upon them of late.