2006 Iowa College Soccer thread

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Buzz Killington, Aug 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    looking at the stats for the BV-Central game, BV played classic BV soccer, defend 11 behind the ball and hope to god for a counter. 28-5 in terms of shots. Oh well still a long season

2. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luther men lost 4-0 to Wartburg yesterday. Now 2-6 overall. :eek:

Norse women won 3-2 in OT. They're now 4-1-3.

3. doolittledog2

doolittledog2 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Iowa
    St. Ambrose is in Davenport. Catholic and are an NAIA school. St. Ambrose and Loras are rivals. Don't know anything about their soccer program.

4. sideways

sideways New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    I watched the final 20 minutes of Cental-Macalester and the two overtime periods on Mac's webcast. What a great viewing option that is! Even the announcers were good. They actually gave an objective description of play. They weren't typical homer announcers. Kudos to Mac for that.

They shot and corner kick statistics favored Mac but Central's frosh Petkavich clanked one off the post near the end of regulation time. A tie result on the road in Minnesota isn't all that bad for the Dutch. They'll be on the road in the Land of Lakes at least once more this year. Maybe they'll get on a roll and build from this one.

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wish I'd known about that, woulda been cool to watch.

Not a bad result, I was kinda surprised when I saw the schedule for this season last spring that Central was taking so many trips to the Land of Lakes this season.

6. sideways

sideways New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Sat: 9/30 Wartburg 8 Coe 0, Loras 4 Luther 1, Central 3 Dubuque 0.

Central score first goal in 18 seconds! Wonder if that's a record for quickest Central goal?

7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On a side note, Luther football LOST to Dubuque...WTF. :mad:

9. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and on the football note, real quick, Central beat Wartburg in OT, 2 national ranked teams going at it.

10. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    hmmm... Coe will not win a game all year.

11. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, their American football team is quite good!

12. doolittledog2

doolittledog2 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Iowa
    Go Spartans, Go!!! Every decade or so you need to let UD win one:D

13. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like NAIA Graceland is having a good season. They entered the top 25 ranking at #5 last week. Also, Grandview is doing well at #2 in their region and #17 in the national pool.

14. duhawk4life

duhawk4life New Member

Aug 28, 2005
    Springfield, MO
    loras knocks off coe in football, WOW.
    back to the real futbol, central looks to be limping a little. i predict a 2 team race between my beloved DuHawks and Wartburg. Look for both teams to make the NCAA's again, pending they face each other in the conference tourney final.
    The fall of Luther is amazing, shows how much some "real" recruiting pays off. Sign of a program going in a downward spiral in Iowa, you lose to CLARKE.

15. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this weekend will show what both Loras and Central are made of, that should be an interesting match. Course Loras has the toughest part of their schedule this week, Wartburg on Wed, and Central on Sat, both matches away from home.

And I agree with duhawk about Luther, I think a lot of Luther's downfall has been better recruiting by the rest of the conference, getting competint coaches in that will go out and try and get those recruits that 7-8 years ago would have gone to Luther and not even batted an eye at the other IIAC schools.

16. duhawk4life

duhawk4life New Member

Aug 28, 2005
    Springfield, MO
    disappointing loss yesterday for the duhawks dropping the game against wartburg 3-0. business as usual with the other games from yesterday. and by the way luther lost to simpson i believe they are now 2-10 just in front of coe who is winless at 0-11-1--OUCH! does anyone know if coe still plays on their football field?

17. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They didn't back in the 2004 season, my senior year, they played at a soccer park in Cedar Rapids.

But according to their schedule
    http://www.coe.edu/athletics/soccerm/schedule.htm

they do still play on the football field

18. sideways

sideways New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Did I predict a Cental win over Loras? Maybe not here but I did expect the home team to hold court. Central's depth may be their achilles heel. Their lineup had to make an adjustment and could not.

19. sideways

sideways New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Whew...it was cold in Decorah yesterday! Saw a brief sunny evening sunset and a blinding snow storm at the same time during the first half of Central vs Luther. Odd weather. Conditions were rough on the players. Windy first half favored Luther but Central struck first going into the wind around 18 minutes. Wind died down a little in second half (as it usually does after sunset) but it was still windy. Luther pressed the issue better going into the wind also but could not convert. Late corner kick conversion gave Central a 2-0 win. Central's front line was restored after a main scorer sat out the Loras game for disciplinary reasons.
    Who will finish the season in top 6 in conference. I'm expecting Wartburg, Loras and Central. Probably BVU, Simpson and who?

20. doolittledog2

doolittledog2 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Iowa
    Dubuque Spartans...Baybee!!!

21. sideways

sideways New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    DBQ's current record is what? and who do they finish against?

22. doolittledog2

doolittledog2 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Iowa
    If you follow DBQ at all you have to have a little faith and a whole lotta humor. They did recently beat a ranked UW-Platteville and had a player make athelete of the week in soccer...or was that the women's side of things??? I can't remember and don't want to look it up.

Anyway, it probably won't be DBQ but I can always be hopefull. :D

23. sideways

sideways New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Good result against UWP. I'll raise a stein for DBQ's success!

24. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    I can verify that yes, they do. I love their practice field. I often work on my shooting over there.

BTW, Coe wants to buy up a block near the campus and put a little soccer-specific stadium there (among other things). They are running into some heat with a couple NIMBY's though.

On another note, the Mount Mercy and Jefferson High School soccer programs partnership has really been turning Lower Kingston Stadium into a nice soccer venue. First, they added a press box, then new goals, and now bleachers. I don't think it is any coincidence that each program has been achieving recent success.

25. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the game between Luther and Dubuque on the 21st will likely be the main defining moment of who makes the tournament of those 2. I don't see Cornell or Coe challenging those 2 for the last spot.
    DBQ is 1-3 in conference, 7-6-1 overall
    Luther is 1-4 in conference, 4-11 overall

Luther still plays at Coe and DBQ and home against BV
    DBQ still plays at Wartburg, Coe, and BV, and home against Luther