2006 Florida Gators [R]

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by UFGator98, Aug 25, 2006.

1. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It's raining cats and dogs here in Chicago right now and it's COLD. I'm sure it's no better 90 miles up north in Milwaukee. I hope Florida players can stand the frigid weather up here.

2. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    UF-Loyola at 1pm CT
    Marquette-Purdue 3:30 pm CT

Of course, it was an absolutely perfect day in Gainesville today. Thanks, NCAA. Saving money is clearly more important.

3. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    Abdullah puts Florida up 1-0 in the 22nd minute. Keleigh Hudson with the assist.

4. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    Abdullah again in the 47th minute, Bishop assisting. 2-0 Gators.

5. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    1st round monkey is off the back. Gators control the game from the start and win 2-0. Good job Gators.

6. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    Gators play Marquette tomorrow at 4pm ET. Marquette beat Purdue 1-0.

7. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    First the nail biting football game yesterday, then this soccer match today going to PK's. Gators were robbed at the end of the 2nd OT, when they scored the golden goal and the refs took it away, calling an extremely late foul, but they came through in PKs as Goodwin makes a huge save and Florida wins 4-3 in PKs to advance to Los Angeles. I don't think my heart can take much more excitement like that.

8. Cali-Gator Mom

Cali-Gator Mom New Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Yeah Gators!!!! Get away from that extreme cold and come to Ca. We'll try and supply some sunshine and if not, at least it won't be freezing.

9. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I made the trip 90 miles north today to Milwaukee to see the Florida/Marquette game. It was cold. IMO, Florida was lucky to go with a win. Marquette almost scored with a break away toward the end of the game but shot just wide. The Florida goalie made a lucky save with her toe on the penalty shootouts and Marquette missed wide left on another shot. I just want to say one thing to Abdullah, "pass the ball!" She is quick and fast, but I saw too much dribbling in midfield then lose the ball, by her. Why did the Marquette player get a second yellow and a red in the second OT? I didn't see what happened. On Florida's team IMO defender #5 played well along with forward #9. Hey a win is a win, but I don't know how far you will go. I didn't see an Abby Wambach, Danielle Fotopoulos, or a Heather Mitts on this team.

10. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    What you saw today was basically Florida's season in a nutshell. Spot on with Abdullah. The defense always has at least one horrible lapse in the back every game. Usually it ends in a goal. Today it did not. 5 is Lauren Hyde, she's a true freshman and one heck of a defender. First team all SEC, she's a lot of fun to watch. 9 is Stacy Bishop. Probably Florida's best offensive player, also first team all SEC. That Wambach/Fotop/Mitts national team caliber player, is on the team. Mel Booth is redshirting, opting to play fulltime for Canada to help them with World Cup qualifying. She'll be back next year. Obviously I hope they go further, but I think this team has gone about as far as they will. UCLA next weekend is a tall order. Glad you didn't freeze to death. Florida's radio announcer lost feeling in his toes during the game. I can't imagine playing soccer in that kind of weather. For the record, I don't think Florida was lucky to win. From the sound of it(granted, it's a UF announcer, but he's usually fair), they were unlucky not to win before PKs.

11. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes, Florida did score with a header off a corner with seconds left but was disallowed. It looked like everyone from both teams were in the Marquette penalty box and everyone was pushing. The ball kind of glazed someone's head and went into the far side of the goal. I thought it was a goal but the ref must have seen some pushing.
    As far as Abdullah is concerned, I can see where she is dangerous. I'ts OK to take the man on when your in the penalty box or near it or if you have to make a move to get free for a pass. but I saw her dribbling in midfield, trying to take on the whole Marquette D, losing it, then everyone on Florida has to haul butt back to defend the quick counterattack. That won't work against UCLA. But anyway, good luck maybe I'll see you guys in Cary, NC in a few weeks.

12. G8RDAD

G8RDAD New Member

Feb 13, 2006
    I think if a certain midfielder can learn to cross the ball, UCLA might not be such a monumental task. She could really help the team by passing the ball rather than going one on three, four, or five. Hope the coaches can figure it out very quickly.

Go Gators!

13. gatorbytes

gatorbytes New Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I would love to see this adjustment for the UCLA game: switch Ashley Harris to the back line because her incredible speed will be such an asset against very fast, very skilled UCLA forwards, and put Shana Hudson in her spot as outside mid because as one of the assist leaders, she has proven how valuable she is in making the outside runs and setting up others for UF scores....and that was as an outside back....just think about what she could do as outside mid.

14. Soccer1161

Soccer1161 New Member

Oct 17, 2006
    Another good move would be to take DS out of the middle, put AE there to contend with the 6 foot center midfielder that UCLA has. AE can distribute too.

15. Soccer1161

Soccer1161 New Member

Oct 17, 2006
    I forgot to agree that AH must play defense in this game. She did a great job against HO in the UNC game and someone is going to have to stop Adams and DiMartino at UCLA. Harris is perfect for the job.

16. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    Oh, if only the coaches would do that. I've been begging for that move all year. AE deserves to start and play much more than she does. DS doesn't. I've been frustrated by that all season long.

Also agree that Harris should play defense. We shall see come Friday if the coaches made any changes, though I'd be that it doesn't happen.

17. G8RDAD

G8RDAD New Member

Feb 13, 2006
    This Gator team has very good talent but it hasn't been used effectively this year. Hopefully there will be some adjustments for the UCLA game based on matchups. Few people are giving the Gators much of a chance, but if they play well and play as a team - they will pull off the upset.

18. Texas Gator

Texas Gator New Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lyle makes huge difference on Defense

Goals Against Average Comparison

Goodwin, Ruberry, Hyde, Hudson, Other Starters

as of 11/14 GAA: 0.88 W/L Record of 10-5-2, 5 Shutouts

Goodwin, Ruberry, Hyde, Hudson, Lyle

as of 11/14 GAA:0.29 W/L Record of 5-0-2, 5 Shutouts

This starting unit has averaged a GAA of 0.29 and gone undefeated. Averaged out for a season the Gators would have been # 1 in the nation in GAA.

Summary

We give up 3 times as many goals without Lyle starting on Defense (0.29 x 3 = 0.87). We are undefeated with Lyle starting. We have the same amount of shutouts in 10 less games . The only 2 goals this unit has given up was in the horrible conditions at LSU and South Carolina. The top two teams in GAA in the nation are North Carolina 0.329 and Notre Dame 0.344, combined won/loss record of 45-1-1. Defense wins Championships!!!!!!!!!!

19. Soccer1161

Soccer1161 New Member

Oct 17, 2006
    Re: Lyle makes huge difference on Defense

Defense does win Championships and I don't have a problem with Lyle. Where she lacks in speed, she is extremely smart, gives great effort and is respected for being a leader. I think we need AH in the defense though. Keep AH, LH, SL, & LR back there to start. Try SH on the outside and rotate her with KG. Put AE and KH in the middle. AA on the left. Up top, SB and rotate MK,AN, & BG. If LR struggles with the speed of UCLA, try TT in her place. I know initials are hard to follow, but this lineup could get it done. GO GATORS!!!

20. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida

I like your ideas, 1161. Now if there was some way to get the coaches to read this board and maybe implement some changes. Top to bottom, I think this team is as talented as any left in the tournament. It's just a matter of getting the right players on the field, in the right positions, and believing that they can win if they play as a team.

21. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Burleigh does have a National Championship, so you would think she has the experience to know what she's doing.

22. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Excuse me, three National Championships.

23. Texas Gator

Texas Gator New Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree, swap spots with Shana Hudson and Ashley Harris. We need AH speed in the back against UCLA and SH passing ability at the outside mid. Our 4 starting Midfielders had 5 assists total in 24 games. SH had 5 assists from her defensive position alone. Swap SB and KH as well. SB can play anywhere with her talent and could fill the roll of another # 9 Gator Great midfielder Stephanie Freeman. KH is out of position as a center mid (5 points this year) and needs to go up top where she was very productive as freshman and sophomore. KH had 14 points as a freshman and 13 points as a sophomore. MK is a great finisher leaves her up top.
    Midfielders: AA, SB, AE, SH (Rotate BG, DS)
    Forwards: MK, KH (Rotate AN, KG)
    Defenders: AH, LH SL, LR

24. Texas Gator

Texas Gator New Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Gators just moved into the top 30 in GAA for NCAA Division 1. The 2 shutouts with Lyle in the back moved us into 27th place with a 0.669. How important is GAA ? 23 out of the top 30 made the NCAA Tournament. (77%)

25. Texas Gator

Texas Gator New Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We did'nt start Lyle and gave up 3 goals........after 2 straight shutouts with her in the lineup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!