2006 Florida Gators [R]

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by UFGator98, Aug 25, 2006.

1. G8RDAD

G8RDAD New Member

Feb 13, 2006
    I heard the announcer mentioning someone being a field general today and directing others - I missed who they were talking about (a freshman maybe?). Perhaps there is hope.

2. Real_Football

Real_Football Member

Jan 6, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I saw the game on TV and it looked like the Gators were actually out played by the Tigers. The Gators only had 1 shot in overtime if I remember correctly.

I also hate when people say conditions were a factor. Don't both teams have to play in them and it's not like LSU practices in the mud? The Gators have an advantage at home on a smaller field right?

It will definatley be an interesting SEC tournament, thats for sure!!

3. Soccer1161

Soccer1161 New Member

Oct 17, 2006
    If the Gators use their speed and send balls over the top or to the corner flags, a larger field is better. The problem is they play tooooo slow and do not take advantage of their athletes abilities. The tournaments will reveal this unless the coaches become brave enough to make the adjustments. Some coaches refuse to make changes and will just put the blame on the girls when an early exit occurs. This team should be in the SEC final and could go far in the NCAA tourney. It's up to the coaches!!

4. Soccer1161

Soccer1161 New Member

Oct 17, 2006
    Saw a couple of the "big guns" out west in Santa Clara and Portland play the other day. Pretty good soccer and a real attacking offense. Both teams had many chances to score, as 5 goals total were put in the back of the net. Noticed the midfielder for Portland, Woznuk is up to 10 assists. The Gators could use some offensive threat coming from the middle. If the midfield can't or won't pass forward, then at least start taking some outside shots.

5. G8RDAD

G8RDAD New Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Gators win the SEC regular season while still playing in the first overtime against SC. Thanks to help from Kentucky who beat Vandy 1-0.

6. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    Gators tie South Carolina 1-1. Another game entirely affected by weather. Rain all day and night, virtual lakes on the field made for a sloppy game. Gators were outplayed for about the first 50 minutes, but then pretty much controlled things after the USC goal. Still frustrating, it seems this team waits until the other team scores to improve their play. 5 yellow cards as well and from the audio, several of them sounded iffy. That MF I have spoken of picked up 2 yellows and was ejected in the 1st OT, so she will miss the opening match in the SEC Tournament. Can't really say that's a bad thing, to be honest. Here's hoping there's no more flooded fields the rest of the season. Florida clearly does not do well in the rain. But hey, it's an outright SEC Title, hard to complain about that, though they will have to play much better to win the SEC tournament and make a deep NCAA run.

7. Soccer1161

Soccer1161 New Member

Oct 17, 2006
    Agree!! I too am happy the MF is out for the first game of the SEC Tournament. It's still hard to figure out. I guess if you're not really doing anything exceptionally bad, besides foolish fouls and passing to your opponent, then you get to continue to play. There's no regards to the fact that although you aren't that bad, you haven't done much good, ex. assists.

8. Real_Football

Real_Football Member

Jan 6, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I am glad that they don't complain this much in England about the weather! They might never play a game there!

I really hope that there is good weather in Orange Beach.

Lots of luck

9. Cali-Gator Mom

Cali-Gator Mom New Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Each team deals with the same elements, whether (weather) good or bad. The Gators have to understand this and make the proper adjustments. No excuses and no whining.

10. Real_Football

Real_Football Member

Jan 6, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Thank you!! Atleast someone else thinks that way!! It is an outdoor sport after all. Now can someone tell Coach Burleigh that! She is more worried about the weather, than here team underachieving right now.

11. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    Still waiting for the Gators to put a full game together, but they got the 4-1 win. It was like deja vu from the 1st meeting with UGA in Gainesville. Georgia went up early in the 1st half on corner kick from Whitaker with Tomlinson scoring.Exactly the duo that hooked up for their goal in Gainesville. Florida's 1st goal came from Megan Kerns(just like their 1st goal in Gainesville), though this one came in the 55th minute, not the 85th minute. Just like in Gainesville, Stacy Bishop scored the game winner, though this in the 81st minute not OT. Florida piled it on after that, as Hudson and Abdullah scored about 30 seconds apart in the 86th and 87th minutes. If they could bottle that 2nd half and play that way the rest of the year, they will have a lot of success. I just wish they would come out playing that way, they seem to fall behind early quite often and it's only then that they pick up their play. They advance to Friday and await the South Carolina/Vandy winner.

12. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    Florida advanced to the SEC final with a 2-0 win over South Carolina. Stacy Bishop with both goals. The game winner came on a free kick from 30 yards out that was just buried in the upper 90 in the 35th minute. Florida was in control from the get go, as they limited USC to 3 shots. Florida put the game away as Bishop put home an assist from Shana Hudson in the 79th minute. See if they can't play like they have the last game and a half on Sunday against a very stingy Kentucky team.

13. Real_Football

Real_Football Member

Jan 6, 2006
    Denver, CO
    The weather was great for the SEC championship game! I wonder what Coach Burleigh will blame this loss on? I hope it was not the deflection! It was going to be a hand ball in the box anyway. I guess they could have received 50/50 odds on the pk!

14. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    Ogunedele was brilliant in goal for Kentucky, as she has been all season. That goal Bishop scored was unsaveable. Kentucky just did what they had to do to win.

15. Soccer1161

Soccer1161 New Member

Oct 17, 2006
    Too often the Gators didn't do what it took to win. Selfish play. Plenty of shots when they should have been passes. Open players on the field and never getting the ball. Players dribbling with their heads down or only looking for certain players. More distribution from the midfield in an offensive direction would be a wonderful sight.

16. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    No argument from me there. I still wonder why that MF gets to play when she is the worst player on the team. Fouls and turnovers is all she's good for. I'm not expecting much from this team in the NCAA's. Another 1st round exit is likely.

17. Soccer1161

Soccer1161 New Member

Oct 17, 2006
    I thought the Gators played better without her on Wed. I like SB & KH in the middle. Would also like to see AE get a chance there to take advantage of her height and passing ability.

18. G8RDAD

G8RDAD New Member

Feb 13, 2006
    I would love to see AE replace AA as the left mid. AE at least know how to cross the ball and doesn't turn the ball over to the other team - constantly.

AA is becoming a selfish player who doesn't look for options. Her shot selection is quite questionable. I wish she would have finished the shot on the 6 yard line in the SEC finals, probably would have secured the title.

Maybe the coaches will figure it out.

19. Cali-Gator Mom

Aug 20, 2006
    Team unity is needed and the Gators must do whatever it takes to win now. Put all the "off the field stuff" aside. When they put on the orange and blue they must work together and not care who gets the glory. It is a team sport and most of the stats are so unimportant. "Just do what it takes to make the net ripple more than our opponents." GO GATORS!!!

20. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If Florida makes it to the game on Sunday in Milwaukee, I think I'm going to go there instead if Notre Dame. I'm curious to see these "initials" you guys are naming. What "off the field stuff" were there? Do they not get along as a team or something?

21. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    There's absolutely no chance they will replace AA in the lineup. I do agree with you on AE. I love the way she plays the game and she has really improved as the season has gone on. I wish she would get more playing time. She brings a fire and energy that seems to be missing without her.

22. Cali-Gator Mom

Aug 20, 2006
    I think the media is often to blame with regards to "off the field stuff". Every assist, every goal, every gaming winning goal, every shot, are mentioned in news stories and interviews. It makes it tough to just play and not feel the competition with your own teammates. I think now that the regular season is over, and awards for the most part have been handed out, the Gators can concentrate on the ultimate goal, which is Cary, NC in Dec. GO GATORS!!!

23. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    Is anyone else having trouble accessing the live audio and stats? I know it's snowing up in Milwaukee, wondering if that's affecting the ability to transmit both, or if there has been some kind of delay.

24. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    Inclement weather, both matches postponed until tomorrow.

25. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    What time tomorrow?