2005 Tour de France [R]

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by SueB, Jun 20, 2005.

1. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Somebody asked about starting a separate TdF thread in the pro cycling thread. The event certainly deserves its own thread. The major prep races are all over, and teams are starting to name their squads, so it's time to start counting down. Only 12 days to the first stage on July 2 - a 19 km time trial from Fromentine to the island of Noirmoutier.

Here's the official Tour website:
    http://www.letour.fr/indexus.html

And some other good cycling sites:
    http://www.eurosport.com/cycling
    http://www.velonews.com/
    http://www.cycling4all.com/

I'm sure there are plenty more. Feel free to add any. This last one has a provisional start list with all the latest team lineup info here:

http://www.cycling4all.com/r05rvf0t.php

For US viewers, OLN has one more "Road to the Tour" show this Sunday at 5 pm Eastern. Here is their regular programming schedule during the race (from www.olntv.com )

Tour de France
    July 2-24
    Pre-race 8:30-9am ET
    Live 9-11:30am ET
    Re-air 12-2pm ET
    Re-air 2:30-4:30pm ET
    Re-air 5-7pm ET

Pre-Race Show
    8-8:30pm ET

Primetime Coverage
    8:30-11pm ET
    9-11:30pm PT
    12-2:30am ET

2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice to see Thomas Voeckler back in the race. I hope he does as well this year as he did last.

3. kerpow

kerpow New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    With the weight of a nation on his shoulders.

4. kerpow

kerpow New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Aww man, Cunego has pulled out. Very hot prospect.

Lets hope they aren't too many other high profile absentees this year.

5. king_saladin

king_saladin New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    MI, USA
    Well most of why he did so well last year was he picked the right time to join a breakaway and USPS had no need to chase them... the lead was given to him so USPS didn't have to defend it for a while.

A lot of people I've talked to seemed to get the impression that Voeckler led simply because of riding skill... which is way off.

6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't saying that. But part of being good is oportunism. The one thing he did have was heart. I will always remember his fist pump when he came around the last corner of stage 14, just bearly managing to maintain the yellow. :)

7. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Here's this year's route:

[​IMG]

8. king_saladin

king_saladin New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    MI, USA
    Plateau de Beille? Yeah that was awesome. Only halfway through the stage I thought he was losing the jersey for sure.

Anyway what do you all think for decisive stages? Pla d'Adet will be the killer, IMO. Same exact stage as in 2001. I guess it depends on the weather though... if bad weather comes in the Alps, Courchovel could be a big day.

9. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Anybody know if there have ever been this many Americans riding in the Tour before? It would certainly seem to be the most diverse, in terms of the number of different teams (6) with American riders:-

Armstrong (Discovery)
    Hincapie (Discovery)
    Horner (Saunier Duval-Prodir)
    Julich (CSC)
    Landis (Phonak)
    Leipheimer (Gerolsteiner)
    Rodriguez (Davitamon-Lotto)
    Zabriskie (CSC)

10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or the opposite, really hot weather.

Yeah, Pla d'Adet will be a killer stage. I also think stage 11, Courchevel to Briancon could cause alot of damage, though much of the damage might be negated by the nearly 40km decent, that appears to be nearly straight down.

11. king_saladin

king_saladin New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    MI, USA
    Well maybe, maybe not. 2003 saw very small time gaps, when it was very hot. Besides that time trial. Maybe part of the reason for that though was no clear favorites in the mountains.

That descent is very twisting. At least until the last kilometers. I believe Pantani gained over a minute on Ulrich on that descent in 1998 (while Ulrich most likely weighed +10 pounds more). Not to mention the climb itself. The Telegraphe-Galibier is one of the toughest paved climbs in Europe. Just goes on forever, getting steeper and steeper... with the last five km's around %10 (I think?)

It will probably pull back to a big group without bad weather... but if it rains hard, you never know. I always hope to see a race up that climb, rather than everyone cruising together.

12. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Besides Cunego, now Gilberto Simoni will also miss the Tour for Lampre. Apparently, he just wasn't in shape and was left off the squad.

13. Diakonov

Diakonov Member

Jun 2, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's another great cycling site.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/

I read that Simoni is still fatigued from his Giro efforts. Just as well he was left off. He wouldn't have cracked the top ten. I am however bummed that Cunego is missing, I wanted to see what he could do in le tour.

So what's your guess on the podium. Here's my top five

1. Lance
    2. Ullrich
    3. Basso
    4. Vinokourov
    5. Michael Rogers

Polka dot jersey: Iban Mayo
    Green Jersey: Tom Boonen

14. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Hmmm, hard to argue with those picks, but I think Vino might pull a Kloden and outperform his better-known teammate, and I'll be a homer and pick a second American to finish in the top 5 ... let's see ... make it Levi.

1.Lance
    2.Basso
    3.Vino
    4.Ullrich
    5.Leipheimer

Polka dot - Botero
    Green - McEwen

15. Diakonov

Diakonov Member

Jun 2, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I was actually torn between Rogers and Levi for fifth. I really hope Levi can crack the top five this year.

16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't been following as closely as you two, but I'll give my shot at the tops...

1. Lance
    2. Vino
    3. Basso
    4. Ullrich
    5. Landis

Polka dot - Mayo
    Green - McEwen

I was thinking Basso to win, but didn't realize that he got sick during Tour de Giro (not to mention riding it). I'm thinking Landis for 5th as the guy who has hopes for next year, so nothing great expected of him this year (still on Botero). He will expect a top 10, but 5th will be his as other wilt.

17. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    I miss Virenque already.

Moving on, I hate the clockwise years. Just not a fan of the pyrenees climbs as much as the Alps, which I always think of as better, thus deserving of coming last.

I don't have a good feeling about Lance this year, like maybe he'll be unlucky and either get hurt or forced to retire, but maybe that's just being nervous for him. I'm pulling for him, obviously, but nervous about it.

And, I still can't take Ullrich seriously, not sure if it's the constant second place-ness or the whole pink jersery situation. I know he won before, but he was never that impressive in my eyes. He always struck me as more consistent than remarkable in any way.

18. Pierre-Henri

Pierre-Henri New Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Strasbourg, France.
    I think Lance can do it once again, since he is the only leader in his team.

Oddly enough, T-Mobile seems overcrowded : Ullrich, Klöden, Vinokourov... It's like a football team with 3 quarterbacks, but no offensive linesmen. The team looks poorly organised.

19. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What happened to Tyler Hamilton? Did he retire? Sorry I have not followed throughout the off- and early season.

20. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Tyler Hamilton is fighting a 2-year ban imposed upon him for failing a doping test at last year's Vuelta a Espana. :(

21. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really sorry to hear that. I knew him (very slightly) when I was in Colorado and I've always been impressed by his courage and unwillingness to give up. The year he broke his collarbone and just fought and fought is one of the bravest things to happen in bicycle racing.
    Thanks for the info.

22. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Is there a team this year riding Scott bikes? Just curious cuz I'm currently riding a Scott Speedster road bike...not carbon fiber like what the pros use.

And today I brought my TDF headband to use for tonight's ride (IF I get to ride tonight :rolleyes: ).

23. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    I agree, and I'd LIKE to believe he's being unjustly punished. There is a lot of information about the whole saga on his website: www.tylerhamilton.com .

In other news, I heard on the BBC today that Ullrich suffered some cuts and bruises today when he collided with the team car during a training ride. Here's a link:

http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/v4/l0/s18/e7203/sport_lng0_spo18_evt7203_sto737555.shtml

24. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks again. I know you didn't do it for rep, but I'll get you tomorrow. I am out for today.

I saw this. I hope he's alright. It looks like he didn't see the "stop" signal given by a team car.

25. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    For those of us without OLN, is there any webcast available?