2005 Third Jersey Design Released

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by murtaugh29, Oct 22, 2004.

1. mouseboy33

mouseboy33 New Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Well if that is case ok. But I still think some photography could have been done for the supporters. A low res jpg isnt very exciting to the passive fan. Woulda Coulda SHoulda...right?

2. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    In addition to the fact that I think all of our Puma uniform's look amazing, I also think that it would be nice if adidas makes us a commerative uniform for our first season in the Firehouse.

Thanks,
    Marchetti

3. Mr. Trike

Mr. Trike New Member

Apr 7, 2003
    Chicago
    Agreed.
    But
    On a fan website?
    Not even your "own" website or a Fire insider or something?

To me it seemed a little bit less class than the Fire usually show.

Buy a jersey get a scarf for only $10.

4. Hard Karl

Hard Karl New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    man, this shite is HOT! I can't wait till mine comes in the mail.

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They'll be generic in that they'll all have two sleeves and a hole to put your head through.

6. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    I have all the Hi res stuff. You don't need more than 72dpi for the web, it's just useless beyond that.

Plus, the actual physical jerseys don't exist yet.

Ok, dude. This release was on the Fire website. The jersey images on section8chicago.com is something called a 'news leak'. Like when the adidas deal made news in the US but wasn't official in the sense MLS had announced it yet. The Chicago Fire did not call me up and say "We want you to release the new jerseys on the S8C site instead of ours". If they had I'd probably have told them they need to severely reprioritise. We got the images from other routes. In fact I would guess they and PUMA are probably a little pissed we put them up already. But it's news, like the BView renderings. They don't tell us what to post.

Those images were a teaser for an eventual official whatever that the Fire will likely do. It's not like they're sitting in their chair and saying "oh they did the work for us so why should we have to do anything?" I would hope.

7. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    that seems generic to be based on a template that revolves around 6-8 designs. But I don't wanna get this thread off topic. ;)

8. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    Every adidas jersey in the world - every last one - is based on those same general designs.

adidas makes 6-8 style jerseys (style meaning the jersey cut, fabric type and basic accents) that every adidas jersey everywhere works from. The same is true of just about every sportswear manufacturer there is. Then, you can choose from different overall looks (stripes, sublimated print, colors, etc.) that adidas can work into the base jersey style.

adidas currently does 3 MLS teams that do not look the same. They should not have trouble doing 8 that do not look the same next season, and 12 the year after that.

9. Mr. Trike

Mr. Trike New Member

Apr 7, 2003
    Chicago
    Sorry,
    I guess I was thinking of a it as a official unveiling.

I was thinking that you & Marcin et al. do enough for the team. Now you have to sell jerseys too.

10. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    that's funny. :)

11. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

I agree with you 100%, Liam. Since you had some involvement in the design, what reason did they give for not doing it? Any chance to get them to add it before they start sewing them en masse?

I plan on getting one just the same, but that white strip would've made it a sweeter design. I can't believe that they didn't see that.

12. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    Look above, I explained it.

Before anyone gets goofy, read the rest of that post. I was being kind of sarcastic. :)

13. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    fair enough.

14. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

D'oh!

Oh well.

BTW, nice job on the Storm's new logo.

15. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Yeah! I guess we'll just have to occupy our time counting the $ 150 million that Adidas is sending to the league, instead of gawking a 3rd jersey.

16. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I saw it, my first thought was, "oh, they went with the Chicago flag." If an outsider knows what the Chicago flag is, he'll recognize it in this jersey.

17. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    The wide white band style wasn't available with light blue. The band could have been screened white, but the added weight to the jersey, was an issue with the team for comfort and competitive reasons.

There was an option with two narrow horizontal white bands that would have cut through the top and bottom of the stars. It would've more closely replicated the flag, but it would have looked very busy. Many people were surveyed and what you see was the final judgement for 05.

peter

18. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    god i hope so, but i honestly don't know.

Regards,

Not so Slim Pickens

19. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Dear Mike and Peter,

Am I allowed to say "Maybe if you drink less beer and throw more of it, you'll be able to fit into a smaller jersey"?

20. Fuegofan

Fuegofan Member+

Feb 17, 2001
    Chicago
    I'll give another reason it should have the white stripe behind it: heraldry. Coats of arms, devices, flags, etc. are all supposed to follow the laws of heraldry. One of the fundamental laws is you don't put a color on a color--colors go on metals and metals go on colors. Metals are silver/argent (=white) and gold/or (=yellow). Heraldic colors were generally limited to red/gules, blue/azure, black/sable, green/vert, and purple/purpure. You may notice how interstate signs are white on green, and in fact most license plates pre-1980 followed heraldic rules. The rules were developed so that emblems could easily be distinguished from across a battlefield--when everyone is in armor and you want to find your friend or foe you just looked at what coat of arms they had. Anyway, the flag of Chicago, while modern in its use of LIGHT blue, is still heraldically correct. The new 3rd strip was designed with the heraldically correct white behind red. Their putting the stars directly on the blue violates the rule and looks less clean.

The only defense would be if they argued that the blue was light enough to count as silver. In fact, there is at least one case of a Spanish device (=c.o.a.) being silver and white. However, 1) the United States generally follows the French-English model, which doesn't permit it; 2) we know it's blue because that's the way the flag is, especially with its representation of water; and 3) we have white on the uniform which is quite different from the blue.

In sum, the folks at Puma screwed this part up from a heraldic standpoint as well. Hopefully it can be rectified down the line, because I think it's a beautiful design which I'd like to see become our seconds.

21. theburden

theburden Member

Jul 11, 2002
    MDSC head brewer

Ok. Really people. RECTIFIED? It wasn't physically possible at this point. It isn't like Puma said, "screw chicago, we are going to do this our way."

Everyone needs to relax.

22. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Check out the big brain on Brad!

23. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    What is it about "They did all they could given technical constraints" that the soccerfan proletariat just doesn't understand?

Am I dissapointed we had to alter the design to fit PUMA's contraints? Yes.

Am I going to worry about it for this season? No.

Will I do what I can to see this jersey style continues with adidas and that they do what they can to have a truer representation in years to come? Yes, though i don't know what influence I have.

Is this jersey still really effing cool and should it be our regular alternate/away for ever and ever? YES.

24. Fuegofan

Fuegofan Member+

Feb 17, 2001
    Chicago
    Who the hell is Brad? Not me.

Liam, lighten up. I know that this is your brainchild, but really, you've been taking everything far too seriously and self importantly lately. I was presenting a perspective. Deal with it. Ya don't like it, ignore it.

25. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

It's a quote from Pulp Fiction.