2005 Season Opener

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Rocket, Nov 14, 2004.

1. kingjackdaniel

Jul 16, 2004
    Dyer, IN
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope the Hispanic population gives the game a chance. We have to make sure that it is a success!

Perhaps MLS should seek out a deal with one of the Spanish networks; telemundo or univision. Make them feel that this is THIER team, something they can latch onto, not just visitors to a team.

2. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    April 2nd is the Saturday with 2 Final Four NCAA games (although they would be later in the evening following the typical 3:30 EST ABC MLS kickoff).

Sunday, April 3 would be free of men's college basketball.

Final Four
    April 2 and 4, 2005
    Tentative Tip-off times are 5:07 p.m. and 8:18 p.m. Central Time
    Edward Jones Dome
    St. Louis, MO
    Host: Missouri Valley Conference

3. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    The ideal situation would be to get the Spanish language media to think MLS is their League, in addition to Chivas USA being their team in that league.

But I'd image the DC area media will support United, regardless of the language they present in.

On the national level, Chivas gives more outlets a reason/chance to care about MLS.

4. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh goody, the defending champs get to show the latino/hispanic population what real football is! I can't wait for this! May even have to make the trip to La La Land for this one!

5. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a natural... Some great storylines will be available.

And to those who question whether Chivas can/will sell-out, I think not only will Chivas sell-out their first match in Carson, but will also sell-out most of their remaining home games. I really expect them to do well. Plus I think that by the end of 2005, they will have the highest average road attendance as well.

Lee

6. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was talk of a Univision deal when Chivas was unveiled, but since the people who own Club America own Univision, I can see their reluctance to get into the game until they have a piece of the MLS pie.

7. christhestud

christhestud Member

Jun 4, 2004
    I agree completely. At the end of the regular season, KC had a double header with the US womens nats playing Mexico. That was the biggest crowd I've seen behind the goal in "The Yard" at Arrowhead, and it was almost entirely Hispanic fans (and those fans made far more noise than all the US fans - the Cauldren wasn't yet there in full force however). I would expect an even bigger Hispanic turnout for Chivas USA games in Kansas City - and I wouldn't be surprised if the Chivas USA fans, despite being outnumbered, are so much louder than the typical KC crowd (which aside from the Cauldren is close to mute) that it was almost a Chivas home game. And KC isnt exactly known for a big Hispanic population, so i wouldnt be surprised if this happened elsewhere as well.

8. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was last season that the season opener was between LA and Columbus, who won the MLS Cup and US Open Cup respectively. Too bad they don't do that every year. :(

9. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I dont see why everyone is thinking that the 'Latino/Hispanic' population is coming out in droves.

Lets get this straight- Latino/Hispanic is much too broad a term to use. Why the hell would someone from say, Argentina in South America, or El Salvador in central America come out to see Chivas play? This is US team named after a Mexican team to which they have no connection to in the first place.

Maybe some of the 'Latino/Hispanic' population might watch some of their games on TV due to them getting Spanish Language Channel coverage, but I think people counting on anyone BUT a very specific part of the Mexican community(and even this is sketchy, but only time will really tell) to come out in droves is very naive and underinformed. Some may say that other parts of the Mexican or even Latino community will come out to simply root against Chivas USA..I would argue that simply most would not care.