2005 schedule [r]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by RobtheAggie, Nov 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    I would tend to agree but I would throw in another factor.

You're right in the sense that one game will not make or break your qualifying campaign. In 01, Mexico lost their opener and still qualified. Jamaica won their opener and didn't. Honduras pulled out a road draw in Costa Rica but didn't qualify.

However, I think that if you do not take points from your first games you will set yourself up for failure. Take Honduras for instance. Honduras tied, lost and tied its first three games. Then, they caught fire but ultimately barely missed out on the World Cup. Had they even won one of those first three games, they probably would have advanced at the expense of either the US or Mexico.

Not winning the first two games would not necessarily be disappointing IF the US were to come home and beat Guatemala. Five points after three games is solid. But then, you also have to consider a victory against Costa Rica in game four important, vital even. Six points from four games is not great. Eight points from four games is a lot better.

2. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets keep this thread to the schedule specifically. I forsee this developing into another thread discussing WCQ strategy.

3. undefined
    Speaking of the schedule, are there any actual confirmed friendlies scheduled for any particular dates and venues in 2005? I see nothing at ussoccer.com on on the FIFA schedule, though other nations seem to have friendlies on various international dates. I am aware of the rumors about Sweden, S. Korea, Colombia and a few others, but are any actual confirmed, and what is a good source for such info?​

4. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of the time there are simply mentions of matches in newspapers or other federations websites. Fifa.com is usually very slow to post matches. Ussoccer.com as the federation website only announces things after all the contracts have been signed and arrangements made, as they should as the official site of the federation.

5. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US Men's National Team vs. Korea Republic
    Date: 1/22/05 7:00 PM
    from the Homedepotcenter.com website.

This should all but confirm the Sweden match also.

6. Thanks. I added HDC's website to my favorites and am looking forward to the match!

I didn't see anything about Sweden though.

Per FIFA, Sweden faces France in Paris in a Feb. 9 friendly, fwiw.

7. SoulflyTribeFC

Mar 24, 2002
    Cool :)

Tickets go on sale Dec. 3.

8. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will this be the united Korean team (No. & So.)?

9. SoulflyTribeFC

Mar 24, 2002
    Probably not. It'll probably be a less-than-full-strength South Korean team.

10. I don't think such a thing exists. I think Korea Republic is what we think of as S. Korea, while DPR Korea is N. Korea.

Where is it indicated that tickets to the Jan. 22 match go onsale Dec. 3?

11. SoulflyTribeFC

Mar 24, 2002
    According to the HDC web site:

International Soccer
    US Men's National Team vs. Korea Republic

Date: 1/22/05 7:00 PM
    End date: 1/22/05 10:00 PM
    Series: Soccer

TBA

Onsale: Friday, December 3, 2004; 10:00AM (PST) at the Home Depot Center Box Office , all TicketMaster outlets, TicketMaster charge-by-phone at 213-480-3232 and through ticketmaster.com.

http://www.homedepotcenter.com/events/report.sps?iEventID=16073&categoryid=401

12. pasoccerdave

pasoccerdave Member

Mar 30, 2004
    SE Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. Per discussions in the Korea forum, it will be only domestic K-League players, i.e., no International players. Think of an MLS-only side for the US.

13. SoulflyTribeFC

Mar 24, 2002
    MLS vs K-League it is!

14. FIFARay007

FIFARay007 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    CT
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    I say an article saying venues would be forthcoming in the next month...

as to korea, there's a huge movement for North and South to unite into one team...

...both have advanced to the final 8 in asian qualifying...

and politically, the South Korean people want REUNIFICATION with their brethren to the north...

expect NORTH and SOUTH to be a single squad for the Olympics in BEijing 2008....

17. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine in respect to the women's soccer match tonight, the USSF is holding off announcing the matches. Let the retiring women have their special evening.

From this article: http://www.ussocceruk.com/news/?CatTypeId=2&ContentId=2035

Two friendlies against Sweden and South Korea are expected to be announced soon, both to be played in California.

Consider the source. But it does seem to hint that the matches will be announced soon.

On another note. The away WCQ venues have been announced and are on the general schedule.

18. South Korea match is finally reflected at the FIFA website

http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/fixture...ct13=USA&select1='F','WQ','WF','CC','CQ','CF'

Maybe USSoccer will get around to mentioning it now that the WNT has completed its successful tour. (Nice to finally see a champion wearing a "Garciaparra" jersey last night.)

Tickets are still unavailable, per the HDC website.

And still no Sweden. Not that I'm impatient or anything!

19. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interestingly enough, soon after she put on the jersey, she was taken out of the game due to a knee injury. Cubs fans everywhere are hoping Nomar changes his last name to Hamm.

20. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The USMNT January matches might be in trouble. With the labor dispute, it makes sense that the USSF does not announce the friendlies until that is resolved.

In addition here is a portion of an article about a MExico-Sweden friendly in San Diego (part of the Sweden January tour):

Sweden's stop in San Diego is part of a two-match winter tour that was supposed to conclude with a Jan. 29 match against the United States. But there were reports yesterday that Sweden might play South Korea instead.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/soccer/20041211-9999-1s11soccer.html

21. According to the HDC website, it is indeed South Korea v. Sweden on Jan. 22 http://www.homedepotcenter.com/events/, and tickets are available, per Ticketmaster http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/0900397DFC75C3FB?

FIFA has Sweden playing Mexico on Jan. 26 and Korea playing Colombia on Jan. 15 and Paraguay on Jan. 18, all in LA.

Presumably, we were thinking of playing all of those teams while they're in our backyard????

What a shame if MNT plays no friendlies prior to the T&T match.

22. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That literally changed in the last two hours. There was US-Korea up there around noon.

23. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Yea, that did change rather quickly.... Someone from the Fed's got some 'splaining to do.........

24. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/soccer/20041214-9999-1s14soccer.html

"
    The men have not had a labor contract with U.S. Soccer, responsible for fielding the country's national teams, since January 2003 and have been operating under terms of the old one. The situation, however, appears to have reached a boiling point.

The U.S. National Soccer Team Players Association – which theoretically includes any male player who has ever donned a U.S. jersey – recently refused to attend a two-week December training camp at The Home Depot Center in Carson. The federation responded by scrapping plans for a pair of qualifying tuneups in January against South Korea and Sweden just days before the games were to be formally announced.

Instead, a federation spokesman confirmed, South Korea and Sweden will play each other on Jan. 22 in Carson. As the Union-Tribune reported last week, Sweden will complete its two-game West Coast tour against Mexico on Jan. 26 at Petco Park because Qualcomm Stadium is not available."

FAWK!!!!

25. SoulflyTribeFC

Mar 24, 2002
    Tell me about it. I was excited about going out to see the Nats out here in person for a change and now I'm stuck with Sweden-Korea, and B sides at that.

DOUBLE FAWK!!!!