2005 Expansion Draft- Metro (incl. Unprotected list)

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by goalscorer111, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Do we have any reason to believe this is not bob's doing?

Weren't we told that Bob would not come here unless he had total control over personel moves?

We should blame Bob for this.

2. halfnelson31

halfnelson31 New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    NOVA
    i dont know i just know that some of the stuf that the metros do is ****************...Zaide was just picked anyone know who we pulled back?

3. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ziadie gone (?) -- mentioned on espn, not on MLS site as of yet.

4. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But Nick was the one who totally screwed up any trade value JW might have had by shooting off his mouth.

and I'm sure letting Walker go was Bob's idea and I'm not exactly against it - it's clear they want vocal leaders. But it was handled, um 'atrociously' by Nick S

5. Mathis is a God

Mathis is a God New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    NJ
    Nick sucks, if the Metrostars dont get Thorton, I quit being a fan. Wells better not start next year.

6. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLSnet has crapped out on updates, so no idea who we pulled back for Ziadie. Stoner said that it's not likely for Ziadie to be back next year to MLS since he's out of contract.

7. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure hell get a vet - but Wells is our keeper of the future

8. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Jonny Walker protected!!!

9. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God forbid Wells doesn't actually turn out to be good.

10. Mathis is a God

Mathis is a God New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    NJ
    Who cares, season is over if they dont get a goalie.

11. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We pulled Walker back for Ziadie.

So there -- everybody just shut your traps for the time being. I don't think we're going to see him playing for us in '05, but at least we'll get something of value back in a trade.

12. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Metros protect J Walker when Zaidie was killed off....

13. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that's it -- no SGR, no Walker. Both remain Metro property.

Sucks to lose Brenes, but that's about it.

14. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can't imagine what Johny Walker must feel and think, his coach did not back him up, why would the player back up his coach now

I can't see him staying here, i sure wouldn't

Real SL picked DJ Countes, then picked Brennes and Bob protected Zach Wells
    i wonder what was he thinking, i knew that Chivas will not pick Johny Walker because they are getting a mexican keeper, but was Bob worried that they might pick Zach for back-up ! would that make sense ?

15. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    I actually don't think we will trade Walker now. Think about it, of all of the teams in the league, likely Chivas was the best choice for him to go to. 3/4s of the league already have a keeper locked in, and many have cheap backups. It really only made sense to have him to go Chivas.

If you are Chivas and you were going to take him, draft him in the expansion draft. There's no point in them losing a player to trade to Metro for him now. If you are Metro and you wanted to get something in trade, protect him from the start and trade him to a team in the off season.

I think this was them bashing him on the theory that he was gone, then no one took him, and they decided to protect him to cover tracks. True, he was the most "valuable" player left to protect at the point he was protected, but you knew RSL wasn't taking him with the final pick or so.

This is a problem now. They had a good keeper, called him dirt, and ticked him off. Now, if they keep him it's a problem. And now that there is this problem, teams will realize that they need to deal him, so his value is reduced. Explain to me what part of this move makes sense. You had a guy you didn't want on your team, and all you did was LOWER his value prior to getting him out the door (if you can even swing that now).

That's some pretty moronic management.

16. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My only question with your argument is: Why'd we protect him with rounds left? If we really really wanted him to be taken, then leave him unprotected and let him go. Perhaps we knew that Chivas wanted him late but just waited too long, and so now we can extract a little something from them in return.

I don't see how he can come back to us, and Chivas drafted no GKs. I have to think that a deal will get done here.

17. soccerfan

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i just gave a resoning if there is one in my post above, lets assume that Bob knew Johny won't get picked by Chivas and once Real got DJ he was safe

but why do you blame management, wasn't Bob the one in charge of this

18. B Rock

B Rock Member

Oct 7, 2004
    Agreed its moronic management. But with the avaliable keepers out there and Walker's performances this season I think the chances of getting anything for him were slim to none.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't he out of contract? How does this change the situation? Tell MLS you're not interested in him anymore and he goes away and doesn't get a new contract (unless someone steps up, is interested, and gives you "future considerations). Basically he's off your team either way. I think the stunning part of this is that absolutley no one has any interest in him. He very well might be playing A-League ball next year, stunning transformation for a guy once tipped as a potential WC 2006 starter.

19. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Great!!!!

20. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    I blame management, because it was Nick calling him atrocious, and in part Bob for also calling his play into question publicly as well. If you look at teams that bash players, it's usually heading into a contract negotiation, like MLB players and arbitration. If you bash a guy, then look to trade him, you are dealing from a weak hand and letting everyone know it. Might as well just keep your mouth shut and try to trade him quietly, because the "unload" him price is always below the "willing to give him up in exchange for X" price. It reminds me- salary aside- of the Red Sox and Manny Ramirez last season. They called him irresponsible, put him on waivers, tried to trade him, and ended up having him back. That rarely works out in the club's favor, to actively disgruntle someone.

And Walker signed an extension with MLS, so he is still under contract.

My guess on them pulling him back is that it was a face saving gesture. They had to pull someone back when Ziadie got picked, Bob knew they likely weren't going to take anyone else (Vaca, Regan, etc..)...if you left him unprotected then, you are basically cutting him from a PR standpoint. As Obie mentioned, yes, you could have left him unprotected but RSL wasn't taking Walker and Chivas obviously passed. So protecting him or not protecting him didn't make any difference. The only reason TO take him back is to save face, to suggest that he is still valuable to you. Only, you've just made that not the case by calling him names and putting him through the expansion draft.

Imagine how you'd feel if they pulled your back up off the table before you, THEN protected the likes of Regan over you. Ouch man, very ouch. So, I think halfway through the draft they realized that he might not get taken, that they might be forced to keep him, and protected him over who was left to set up the "no, we didn't throw you under the bus, that was just business" line for training camp. They dogged him, he said the writing was on the wall, and they left him unprotected. You only do that to a guy if you want him gone.

I submit that this logic (or fraction thereof) may only make sense to me.

Moving on, funny how many ex-metros went. 8 of 20 players selected (incl. the two new ex-metros from today, obviously).

Andy Williams
    Orlando Perez
    DJ Countess
    Ezra Hendrickson
    Pablo Brenes
    Brian Kamler
    Nelson Akwari
    Craig Ziadie

21. johnnygol

johnnygol New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    This draft has proven again that we have "two morons" making the decisions Bob and Nick. :mad:

22. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    I can't believe you guys didn't lose Joselitio Vaca. I wish we would have picked him up at RSL. Is he out of contract and looking for a job in another league or something? What's the deal with that?

23. soccerfan

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

you right, absolutely correct

I can see Nick running his mouth off he has no credibility, but Bob always comes across like someone who would think before speaking and i give more weight to what he says

Bob is the coach of the team not Nick or anyone else, Bob is in charge of who stays and who goes. Bob has a way with words and he alone can fix this.

24. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FOR THE UMPTEENTH TIME GODDAMMIT BOB WASN'T THE ONE TO COMPLETELY CALL HIM OUT AND CALL HIM ATROCIOUS AND CREATE THIS PR NIGHTMARE.

look at it this way - it's defensible if you didn't know JWs been punked in the press.

Scenario #1 Wells is the better bargain, especially since Ellinger wants Countess as his #1 (Countess is his guy back from the Bradenton days, if anyone can get his head screwed on right, it's Ellinger), and Chivas is bringing in a Mexie GK. Someone may have taken Wells, Walker would not have been touched. (and by then who the hell where you going to bring back, Regan?)

Scenario #2 : They have something completely under the table with him to the extent of - we'll leave JW unprotected and we'll let you have him after the draft

I am glad CZ is gone. Now maybe we can get to the business of a 3-5-2.

Now if Walker stays you have an unhappy camper and a cancer in the locker room. All of which could have been handled quietly if one mouth didn't roar. Brilliant Nick-O. Completely ********ing Brilliant

Jamison - isn't 40% of the league ex-metro anyway :D

25. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Everybody on here, even though there are like 20 of us, has an agenda they are trying to forward.

A lot of people hate Bob so they try to figure out ways to rip him. Same with any other player, etc.

I'll just say this, Nick is a moron for opening up his mouth on Walker. Garber should put a gag order on him, from ever speaking to the media.

However, Bradley also should have not dropped hints to Ives, or however it came to him, because that too is bad.

This is such a small organization, I hvae no clue how there can be so much discord and infighting amongst the team.