2005 Columbus Crew Salaries

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by myshap, Jul 13, 2005.

1. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    He signed a two-year deal when he came to the Crew, so yea, that's correct.

2. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    Between you and Jean Genie I would've expected to have the contract lengths of Martino and Buddle by now. I'm almost starting to think that Martino signed another contract, I just can't remember when. No way he's still on his rookie contract.

3. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Neither of them -- Martino or Buddle -- are on their rookie deals anymore, both have re-signed with the league, I wanna say before last season. Not sure the length though.

4. WolfGang

WolfGang New Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Ohio
  5. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    Actually it looks like a Chavy Monte Carlo. Hardly that of a millionaire. Although at this point if you got an old time Monte Carlo, circa 1984 or the like and pimped it out a bit, that would be quite a g ride.

6. Pauncho

Pauncho Member+

Mar 2, 1999
    Bexley, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand the expression "league maximum" as it applies to the MLS salary cap is the maximum amount of a player's salary that counts against his team's cap, not the maximum amount the league will ever pay any player.

7. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Correct.

8. Tycon5

Tycon5 Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK.... then what value is there in having a "league maximum" if the "league" can pay a player $20MM and only count $10,000 against the salary cap? I really enjoy MLSspeak.

9. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Here's how he dresses. I think he's wearing a rosary...

10. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    I am surprised Szetela is making only 39K. I thought he got a pretty good deal from MLS when he signed. I guess Everton offered less than that because his mom would definitely taken the highest bidder.

11. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    His contract is substantially increased by the deal he signed with Adidas when he joined the league. That $39,000 is just the amount that counts against the salary cap...

12. StraightShooter

Jul 17, 2004
    How can the Developmental Players afford to park at the stadium on Game Day?

13. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    haha... yeah, i was thinking, good lord, how can those people live off of that? they have to be getting money from other sources or something. my husband is a GTA at OSU, teaches 10 hours a week, and makes the same $$. and he's one of the lowest paid gta's too...

14. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I think the developmental players have part time jobs in addition to soccer. They can pick up some money doing camps and clinics too. I remember Troy Perkins was working at a Galyans in DC when he got promoted to the senior roster. Of course he was still only making 24K then. I'd guess the team or Crew chiefs or someone helps the players find work and sweettalks the boss into being flexible with their schedule.

15. onusx

onusx Member

Aug 6, 2003
    portland
    so what's the tie between allocation and paycheck? i thought for some reason that allocations were directly related to bringing in higher-paid players, and that the leagued helped cover transfer fees or other things, and they typically made some allowances for those players w/r/t salary cap.

what does an allocation really give the team/player/league? what's its purpose? if loco could come in and only make 30k as a partial allocation, it changes my perspective on that setup completely.

16. J. Crew

J. Crew New Member

Jul 10, 2005
    Columbus
    So-- there are many players on the Crew who seem to make less than a "Living Wage." Does the club provide housing for these guys? Food? Money for dates?

17. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I think the team arranges the women for the developmental players, but doesn't give them any spending money. Maybe they have a fleet of cars for developmental players to use, like Mr. Miyagi's fleet. "I really like your car, Mr. McCullers."

18. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jamal!!! You must use hands to wax car, not your third leg... dammit *cursing in chinese* you never make senior roster now. You so stupid!!!!

(yes two movie references in one... what a deal)

19. cwt9

cwt9 New Member

Jul 27, 2005

Nice table

20. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team: