2005-2006 Welsh Premier League [R]

Discussion in 'Other Countries' started by amaranto, Aug 3, 2005.

1. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    Porthmadog 2-3 Airbus FT
    Cwmbran 1-0 Haverfordwest FT
    CQN 0-3 Newtown FT
    Llanelli 3-0 Aberystwyth FT :(
    Caersws FC 1-3 Cardiff Grange Quins FT

2. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
  3. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    Evidently Barry FC's first match didn't go too well (they are the team created by people that were unhappy with Barry Town's troubles). They lost to Ragged School 6-1 in an FAW Trophy match:

http://www.forzabarry.co.uk/

The match report is on the front page. If you click on "Match Pix", they have some good pictures from the game.

4. Fossolari

Fossolari New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    GRR
    As former Bang City 'skirt' I have to plug the team... ;)
    Cozy grounds and convenient to the train and the uni. Plus, they're fun to watch. (And the pubs are full of people, mostly students.)

5. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    That is such a well-crafted sentence, I'm terrified to touch it. Just a polite nod and then pretend to study something on the horizon. :)

So you went to UWB? Were you able to attend many games? Did you travel to any of there away games. Since the WPL thread isn't exactly crackling with activity, please feel free to share any recollections, insights, observations, etc.

6. Fossolari

Fossolari New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    GRR
    Your gentlemanly restraint is appreciated. It took me a while to phrase that just right...

I went to UWB for a very short time, study abroad, and I did get in to see some home games. Mostly ladies, since some of them also played on the U team (with me!), but a few men's. I must say, the quality of the men's game was higher than I had expected (granted, the fact that people better than anyone I knew were cut from the U men's fourth team should have tipped me off :rolleyes: ).

Someday, I'll go back, and post a stunner of a match report for you all to enjoy- how about that? Just keep up the thread...

7. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    Your analysis of UWB football reminds me of Nick Hornboy in "Fever Pitch" talking about how close he came to playing professional soccer. Basically, he was on Cambridge University's 3rd team and the best guy on the 1st team later played a couple games on a 4th division team and played badly.

That is cool that you were able to play when you were over there. That must have been a great experience.

I think it goes without saying that if anybody who reads this thread attends a WPL game, they owe me a match report (and quite possibly a program!).

In a completely unrelated topic, your choice of the Fire as an MLS team to follow is an excellent one. I was at the USA-England game in my Bocanegra jersey and the game, the stadium, and the town were wonderful. A Fire game must be fantastic.

8. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    FK Atlantas' manager only received a two game UEFA suspension for attacking Alan Morgan. I wonder if the penalty would have been bigger if he'd attacked a player from a larger club?

9. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    Tangentially related to the WPL, but I'm reading John Davies' "History of Wales" and it is very interesting. I've only read the first couple hundred pages so far, but I highly recommend it.

10. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    Great spelling on my part. Hornby.

Anybody else feel like Rhyl is going to pull through tomorrow in Norway? I think Carmarthen Town is in for a bad time, but Rhyl is going to do well. It would be so cool if they were able to make it past this game, past the next round and into group play.

11. 9 Rush

9 Rush Member

Sep 9, 2004
    C'bus
    Come on the Welsh!!!!

Hopefully those Scandinavians will roll over and play dead!

12. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    Time for the kickoff in Norway. I think Viking is in for a surprise.

13. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    Ok, Viking scored in the 7th minute and things are looking grim.

14. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    2-1 Viking after 37 minutes. Adamson scored for Rhyl. Rhyl needs two more goals to advance.

15. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    Rhyl and Carmarthen are out. If you click on "Chris Adamson" under the score, you can see his goal:

http://www.rhylfans.co.uk

16. Fossolari

Fossolari New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    GRR
    I do like Boca. He's welcome back any time (as are wearers of his shirt). If you go to a Fire game, stand with Section 8.

Ouchie Rhyl...
    But hooray for the upcoming season! Here we go!

17. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    Only about an hour to go until the start of the season. Here is today's schedule:

Sat 27 Aug 2005 Airbus UK v Cardiff Grange Quins 14:30
    Sat 27 Aug 2005 Caernarfon Town v Caersws FC 14:30
    Sat 27 Aug 2005 Haverfordwest County v Connah's Quay Nomads 14:30
    Sat 27 Aug 2005 Llanelli AFC v Bangor City 14:30
    Sat 27 Aug 2005 NEWI Cefn Druids v Aberystwyth Town 14:30
    Sat 27 Aug 2005 Newtown AFC v Carmarthen Town 14:30
    Sat 27 Aug 2005 Port Talbot Town v Welshpool Town 14:30
    Sat 27 Aug 2005 Porthmadog FC v Total Network Solutions 14:30

18. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
  19. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
  20. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
  21. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    Latest in the Welsh league:

_________________P______GD______PTS
    1 T.N.S._________6_______9_______14
    2 Newtown_______6_______3_______12
    3 Welshpool Town_6_______4_______11
    4 Rhyl___________6_______5 ______10
    5 Airbus UK______6_______2_______10
    6 Cwmbran_______5_______-1______9
    7 Caernarfon_____5_______7_______8
    8 Carmarthen_____6_______0_______8
    9 Newi Cefn Druids_6_______1_______7
    10 Aberystwyth____6_______-1______7
    11 Grange Quins___5_______-3_______7
    12 Llanelli_________5_______4_______6
    13 Porthmadog____5_______0________6
    14 Haverfordwest__6_______0________6
    15 Bangor City____5_______-2________6
    16 Port Talbot____5_______-1________5
    17 Caersws______5_______-11_______2
    18 Connah's Quay_5_______-11_______0

I though i'd update this since it hadn't been done in a while (where's amaranto?). Anyway, seems like a good start for TNS, they've got some competition close behind though.