2004 W League Alignment

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by AndyMead, Dec 10, 2003.

1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

2. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    wow!

that's a whole lot of canadian teams!!!

toronto, ottawa, vancouver ... now add sudbury, edmonton, calgary and montreal!! i wonder if the montreal entry is the resurgence of the laval team, as there has been talk that they would be back.

and i wonder how this "shakes" up all the CWNT players in the w-league ... if they move around teams and where they will end up playing next season.

elaine

3. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    Get some double-headers going with A-League!

It would sure be great if some at the teams and leagues offices could coordinate some double-headers with both the A-League and W-League teams, especially now. Even if the teams from the same city aren't affiliated. If they shared planes and buses they could cut down travel expenses, news coverage would be increased and the gates would really increase.

Imagine the two Aviators teams sharing an Eastern Road trip to Montreal, Toronto and Rochester, with the women Aviators playing either Sudbury or Ottawa while the men split off to Syracuse. And the Montreal teams going on a shared Edmonton/Calgary/Vancouver/Seattle swing.

However, I guess there there will be a lot less inter-conference matches (IF any at all) with the much larger 37 team W-League. It would be a shame if no effort were made towards this, and I can only
    hopefully imagine that efforts are being made at the Whitecap's and Aviator's offices to explore this.
    anbody know if anything planned or any histroy of this in the past?

Sudbury has a W-League team, eh! That's really great, and last year's results show they are really going to be competitive!

4. jaydog2008

jaydog2008 New Member

Jan 19, 2003
    That won't happen for the simple reason teams do not play-out of there conference.

5. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    Okay, thanks for that info. It would still be workable within the Conferences, especially some divisions, especialy Montreal/Toronto/Rochester and
    Vancouver/Calgary/Edmonton/Seattle.

6. El Gato

El Gato Moderator

Mar 29, 2000
    Midwest
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the biggest "expansion" the W-League has gone through since the merger between the W-1 and W-2 a couple years ago.

I wonder how the rosters are going to reflect the on again/off again demise of the WUSA? I know some teams have been burning the phone lines trying to get some of the players locked up on their rosters for 2004.

7. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Summary

Central Conference

Midwest Division (8): Cleveland Internationals (new), Detroit Jaguars (new), Fort Wayne Fever (new), West Michigan Edge (new), Cincinnati Ladyhawks, Columbus Lady Shooting Stars, Windy City Bluez, Chicago Cobras

Atlantic Division (7): Richmond (new), Bradenton Athletics (new), Asheville Splash, Carolina Dynamo, Charlotte Lady Eagles, Northern Virginia Majestics, Hampton Roads Piranhas

Northern Conference

North Central Division (5): Rochester Ravens, Toronto Inferno, Ottawa Fury, Sudbury Canadians (new), Montreal (new)

New England Division (4): New Hampshire Lady Phantoms, Boston Renegades, Rhode Island Lady Stingrays, Western Mass Lady Pioneers (new)

Northeast Division (5): New Jersey Lady Stallions, New Jersey Wildcats, New York Magic, South Jersey Banshees, Long Island Lady Riders

Western Conference

single division (8): Edmonton Aviators Women (new), Calgary (new), Arizona Heatwave, Denver Lady Cougars, Fort Collins Force, Mile High Mustangs, Vancouver Whitecaps, Seattle Sounders

8. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Raliegh?

I was kind of surprised that a W-League team didn't pop up in Raliegh. It would seem like a natural for CASL to have a team to go along with thier PDL program. Maybe they didn't have enough time to put something together.

On a side note, it's going to be a long bus/van ride to Bradenton for most of those teams in that division. Hopefully more teams will come into Florida.

9. El Gato

El Gato Moderator

Mar 29, 2000
    Midwest
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Raliegh?

True. They could have had the second coming of the Raliegh Wings from pre-WUSA. That region may be banking on WUSA coming back and filling their soccer taste.

10. sparklers

sparklers New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Re: Raliegh?

The Carolina Dynamo are in nearby Greensboro. I think that most teams fly down to Florida.