2004 US Player and Position Review & 2005 Projections

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Nutmeg, Nov 29, 2004.

1. natewhd

natewhd New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    VA
    How do you leave Cherundalo off this list. Easily the biggest shoe in at right back.

2. natewhd

natewhd New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    VA
    We need physical players against Mexico. Wolff should never see the pitch. This is a Mcbride, Donovan, Lewis, Casey scenario. All better players anyway.

3. natewhd

natewhd New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    VA
    With which lineup did we beat them in WC2002?

4. mpetrik

mpetrik Member

May 17, 2004
    East Bay
    I get to read this site perhaps 1x/month, and I cannot remember when I was able to read more than 1 page of a lengthly thread before tiring of the topic. The initial idea and content, along with the other posts, has been fantastic.

Tail end of the thread had some focus on our game at Azteca. While that is our second away game (and second game) of the Hex, it is definitely not the most important away match given the advancement structure (Top 3 go to Germany, 4th place faces 5th place in Asia). We can lose and still make the Cup. When I see how a country like China can get bounced from the Cup prelims, I count ourselves lucky to be in our region.

That said, I am surprised that no one made a comment about how the Mexicans dislike playing against Cobi. Having him enter the game...if we are tied or ahead or even a goal down...in the final 20 minutes will frustrate their players, and in turn their fans. He appears to be in fine enough shape to handle the altitude.

And since he had a surprisingly productive late 04 campaign with the Nats, I hope to see him on the bench.

What does he embody that they dislike so? Is it the recent US success? The dreds?

Overall, my personal feelings about Cobi mirror closely what how some of you feel about Goose...but I have never seen another team consistently dislike one of our Nats players like the Mexicans do with him. It is a source of fascination...but this match in late March will likely be the last time I can see it occur on their soil.

Hopefully 05 will prove as successful as 04, so we can get a shot to duplicate or surpass our showing in Korea. The players you have discussed make me think that we are deeper in the back and mids then we have ever been...and I hope that much like the last Hex four years ago when Wolff and Mathis began to shine, a few more forwards will show that they can play with a much higher level of competition than the last group we faced.

Happy New Year to all!