2004 US Player and Position Review & 2005 Projections

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Nutmeg, Nov 29, 2004.

1. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Where is the evidence that Bruce Arena agrees with you?

2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I laughed audibly 12 months ago when somebody suggested that Albright be given a shot for USMNT, period.

I ain't laughing now. I'm a Frankie Hejduk defender, of sorts, but I'm not sure that Frankie ever played better than Albright did against Jamaica. As for Cherundolo ... what can I say? Sounds good. But until Arena shows belief in him and actually plays him in a meaningful match, it's a bit hard to take Stevie's candidacy seriously.

3. NASL Fan

NASL Fan Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Los Angeles, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the analysis, Nutmeg. For someone like me, who rarely gets to see the Nats play anymore, it's very helpful. We anxiously await the final installment, the forwards...

4. K.P.

K.P. Member

Mar 18, 2001
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well to start, I was overstating the case by saying right back is Cherundolo's alone. But I think he does have a slight edge if he keeps performing well in the Bundesliga, just because Bruce wants players who are performing regularly at a high level. But we'll see. Personally, I do prefer backs who have a bit more size, so I like that about Albright.

5. helmzgk

helmzgk New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    california

If this is in regards to the 442 used against Portugal, you're dead wrong as Reyna didn't even play that game.

If it's in regards to the ESPN 5-3-2 they claimed we used against Mexico, I watched the game and I'm well aware JOB wasn't playing left wing back and that we weren't even playing a 5-3-2 to begin with. I was just pointing out that yes, ESPN can get our formations and player positions wrong when they put up their starting lineup graphic. But thanks for pointing out the obvious.

6. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    I think arena believes he has sufficient depth of talent to match-up certain line-ups to best exploit the various hex sides....

against jamaica he went with a physical set of defenders...against less physically intimidating sides, cherundolo or convey could be considered, especially if he's lloking for his backs to get forward..hejduk is a guy he can have running up and down the pitch...

gibbs and bocanegra can be used outside, and mastroeni can mix into the backline as well....

my expectation is to see a variety of defenders used throughout the hex...

beasley and donovan would be the ONLY sure bets, although there is the arguement arena views reyna as a sure bet too...

7. twenty

twenty New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    I know he has only played a few games, but I think EJ will be a lock to start every meaningful game in the hex if he's available.

8. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    I agree Eddie Johnson is close to being a lock....I do wonder if arena goes conservative and uses EJ coming off the bench as a 60 minute mark sub...

I cou;d see arena going mcbride-wolff and bringing EJ off the bench...

that element of doubt has me NOT putting EJ is the sure lcok category

9. twenty

twenty New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    How about Bocanegra? I'd imagine he's a lock. I agree that Bruce will probably vary his defensive formation/personnel, but I think Bocanegra would always be in at some position in a meaningful game.

10. twenty

twenty New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    That's fair enough. I really hope Bruce doesn't do that though. I think the addition of EJ changed this team completely (for the better). Before, we'd have long spells against decent teams where we would just not threaten them at all. I think with EJ in the game, we will be a threat to score at all times, despite the run of play. He's the only player we have that is truly dangerous without the ball at his feet.

11. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I would say Landon and Damarcus fall into this category except who passes to them?

12. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Where were you when I was getting pounded for writing this? :)

Actually, I'm starting to think that prediction is slightly premature, given Arena's conservatism. I bet Bruce gets cold feet and inserts a veteran forward instead for one of the big early Hex games. I also bet that EJ comes in during the second half, scores a goal, and people write about Arena's great substitution.

15. twenty

twenty New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    I figure EJ has a good shot at being a starter, despite Bruce's tendency to go conservative. I think (and hope) that Bruce will be more willing to take risks with his forwards than he has been with other positions. Forwards rarely get chances to blow a game like defenders and midfielders do, so there is much less risk involved in using an inexperienced player at forward. He did sub Ching into a very meaningful 1-0 game in Jamaica and started Ching and Casey over McBride in Panama.

Regardless, EJ just brings too much to the table to be benched because of conservatism and I think Bruce knows that. I really think the emergence of Eddie has turned this into a totally different team than it was 3 months ago. He's just too good to be benched.

16. Jonez

Jonez New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Boston
    He's scored 5 goals in 3 games. I have no doubt that EJ will be in the starting lineup for most of the Hex, even when Bruce goes conservative.

17. Jimjamesak

Jimjamesak New Member

May 3, 2003
    Anchorage Alaska
    Captain America. The image that I will always remember Claudio Reyna by.

18. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Jaap Stam isn't American silly, who's the other guy?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He can multi-task.

19. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    The real story is not just about 5 goals. I didn't get chance to watch the first game, but in Panama game, if he is more polished he would finish the break away either by score himself or pass to either McBride or Beasley to finish it. Also if the lineman didn't blow up in Beasley "offside", EJ will have one more in his bag. In Jamaica game, he wiffed the first chance, saved by keeper for second one, mis-touch causing the second break away, and wrong decision making on the one he blowed by two defenders.

With more game experience and maturity, he may finish all those chances. Those are hugh potentials there. One simple sentence as Balboa puts out--US never see a forward such good.

20. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    I agree, bocanegra is a lock too, whether in the middle or at left back...and arena thinks so too...

looking at EJ and playing in T&T, I'd think arena would look more towards starting him, than having him come off the bench...

but in Mexico...I'd say wolff would get the start with mcbride and ej enters in the 2nd half

21. twenty

twenty New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    I really hope you're wrong about the Mexico game. I don't think EJ's best role is as a spark plug off the bench. He is better as a starter. He can keep aggressive teams honest and he will punish them if they get too aggressive. That is something we need throughout the game against Mexico, but especially at the start.

I think Mexico will try to take it to us to start the game in Azteca. They will probably control the run of play at the start. EJ stands his best chance of scoring at that time. He is more dangerous against the run of play. If we only bring him on after we are losing, that reduces his effectiveness, since Mex will have backed down some.

22. forza inter

forza inter Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Middletown, ct
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i just came by to check out the threads progress.

great stuff nutmeg, and also to everyone else whos posted. congrats on keepin any arguing to a minimum, this is a nicely done thread by all of us that we can all enjoy. lets keep it up

forza inter

23. Jonez

Jonez New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Boston
    I suppose it depends upon how he looks vs. T&T, but I bet we'll be seeing a BMB - EJ combo against Mexico. The only way I see EJ not starting is if Bruce decides to go really conservative and starts Donovan and BMB up top with a more defensive minded midfield.

24. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    which, with Bruce, is a very likely possibility

25. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    [​IMG]

Mexico fears El Lobo.

Also, a McBride - Rafa Marquez matchup is not to our advantage. At this point in the respective careers, it wouldn't even be fair to McBride. If I'm Arena, I line up Johnson and the Wolf and go weith speed and flair and athletecism. If you play Mexico, you DO NOT try and play possesion soccer with them.