2004 U-19 World Championships [R]

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Skunk, Oct 28, 2004.

1. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    Sportsnet, not TSN ... TSN hasn't aired women's soccer since their dissmal ratings for the 1995 WWC ...

2. Ottawaflier10

Ottawaflier10 New Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Nah, the feed wasn't coming in proper so I didn't hear Forrest's comments. I was more or less unimpressed by the German keeper because she just seemed lost in the box on both the first and second goals. And from my days playing in goal for youth soccer teams, the coaches always drilled in the importance of protecting the near post, so I had a real beef with Timko's goal. I guess my standards are a bit high as well.

3. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    My bad :)

4. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Results of the final Group C matches:

USA 1 (44'-Rostedt) Spain 0
    Russia 0 Korea 2 (21'-Jang Mi Lee, 55'-Hee Young Park)

Final standings -

USA 9 pts (+7)
    Russia 3 (-2)
    Korea 3 (-2)
    Spain 3 (-3)

Here is how they broke the tie for second place:

goal difference/goals scored in games among the three teams -

Russia - +1 / 4
    Korea - +1 / 3
    Spain - -2 / 3

So Russia won by virtue of having scored one more goal than Korea in the matchups. Korea must've been killing themselves to get the final goal in the last half hour of that match. Korea's overall goal difference of -2 also lost out to Australia's 0 for the second-best third-place finisher.

So the quarterfinals are set for Sunday. The early matches:

Germany vs Nigeria
    Brazil vs Russia

Later (7:45 am Eastern US time):

USA vs Australia
    Canada vs China

Wednesday's semifinals:

Germany/Nigeria winner vs USA /Australia winner
    Brazil/Russia winner vs Canada/China winner

5. RUUDVN

RUUDVN BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    Angie Woznuk is truly the engine of US team without her, the scoring down...

6. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    Ottawaflier, you are right on, the goalkeeping by Germany was unimpressive, especially at this level. I'm sure the gk'r would be the first to admit she should have done better. This does not detract from the individual skill of the three goal scorers from Canada both with respect to those scores and in general.

The commentary from Craig Forrest was excellent and objective, and a real improvement. Mistaking players is a small error, epsecially when sitting in a studio watching a terrible feed. The criticism of the longball and other comments were not whining, they stuck out like a sore thumb to anyone knowledgeable about football, and that was his job. Many viewers are not knowledgeable, and the strengths and weaknesses of all players and teams should be discussed fully. That should apply to women's football as well as men's football.

7. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    #1. The keeper was average for this level and I'm pretty sure you're putting words in her mouth.

#2 There was nothing wrong with the feed on my TV, other than a few minor interruptions which had nothing to do with getting players names wrong. "I'm sure Craig would be the first to admit he could have done better". :)

#3 Craig was whining but he's a big, big improvement over Helen. Many viewers turned the sound off for her broadcasts.

8. StarDust

StarDust Member

Oct 30, 2004
    Club:
    FCR 2001 Duisburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    In my opinion; Germany can beat Nigeria. USA can beat Australia.
    Brazil can beat Russia and Canada can beat China. I go for Canada and Germany in the final.

I still hope that Germany will win the tournament. They are still my favourites, but I was a bit dissapointed about their goalkeeper too.
    Let's hope she'll do beter this Sunday.
    And it would be nice to see players like ...da Mbabi and Lena Goessling back who got a rest against Canada.

9. RUUDVN

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    If your prediction is correct, how the semi will be ? will it be the 2002 kind of semifinals ? US-Ger , Can - Brazil ? ...

10. RUUDVN

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    I heard that the physical strength of Canadian and Germany teams well beyond other teams in the tournament including the US ?

11. StarDust

StarDust Member

Oct 30, 2004
    Club:
    FCR 2001 Duisburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Semi finals:
    Gemany - USA (3-2)
    Canada - Brazil (2-1)

Funny thing is that my predictions are always very wrong and not even close to the real results. So let's wait and see.....

12. toepunt

toepunt Member

Aug 24, 2003
    North America
    I would like to see a final between Canada and Nigeria.

13. Mel10

Mel10 New Member

Apr 24, 2001
    in your underpants
    i'd like to see and Canada US final so we can mush their faces into the ground.

ahaha

:D

Well I do.

14. miky

miky Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Germany Is A Good Team But On That Day Its Do Or Die, Thank God They Know Little Of Us. We Would Win No Doubt.i See Brazil Winning Also . Usa Also But Seems They Would Struggle.am Unsure About The Canada Game.

15. RUUDVN

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    What makes the USA will struggle ?

16. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    Some trash talkin goin on - Thailand 2004 U19 Site

http://www.fa-thailand.org/en/news.php?&idnews=531270

USA, Germany, Australia and Nigeria, 4 top teams of this tournament are boasting confidently that they will win this tournament. Mark Krikorian, US head coach boasted Aussie girls aren’t a threat. While Silvia Neid, German’s head coach confirmed her team will not underestimate anyone. In the other side Felix Ibe, Nigeria’s head coach said Nigeria isn’t easy to beat. And Adrian Santrac, Australia’s head coach warned US team, anything could happen.

17. StarDust

StarDust Member

Oct 30, 2004
    Club:
    FCR 2001 Duisburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thanks for that link! I see a lot of nice pictures there :)

18. RUUDVN

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    it's so ironic that the Euro&Asian Champions are out while the runners-up go through ... :rolleyes: this sport is so funny sometime, and remember when Korea went to semi men's 2002wc while Argentina and France weren't ? :D

19. RUUDVN

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
  20. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    90 minutes was not enough to decide either of the first two QFs:-

Brazil 4 Russia 2 (after extra time)

Russia came within seconds of a major upset only to have Cristiane tie the game at 2-2 in the 94th minute. In extra time, Brazil put 2 past the deflated Russians to move into the semifinals.

Germany 1 Nigeria 1 (Germany advances 5-4 on PKs)

Likewise, Germany avoided a shocking upset only with an 86th minute equalizer from Anja Mittag. Neither team could score in overtime, and PKs decided the outcome with German keeper Tesse Rinkes saving Akudo Iwaugwu's 3rd kick for Nigeria.

21. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    Because the people taking pics (or the games that have pics taken thus far) have all been in Bangkok and the US hasn't played in Bangkok yet ... they've been in Phuket and now Chiang Mai.

22. RUUDVN

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    Canada in trouble... 9 minutes to go.. :(

23. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    The final scores:

USA 2 (45'-Rodriguez, 68'-Rapinoe) Australia 0
    Canada 1 (63'-Timko) China 3 (3'-Zhang pk, 21'-Zhang, 65'-Liu)

Canada went down to 10 players when keeper Van Boxmeer was sent off in the first minute of the game. China converted the resulting PK, and Canada never recovered.

Brittany Timko finishes her tournament with 7 goals. Germany's Anja Mittag (6 goals) is the only player with a realistic shot to overtake her.

Wednesday's semifinals:

Germany vs USA
    Brazil vs China

24. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sent off in the first minute?! :eek: Brutal - did she take somebody down in the box, I guess?

25. RUUDVN

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC

It was a brutal decision by the reff too, she should've gotten yellow instead.