2004 U-19 World Championships [R]

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Skunk, Oct 28, 2004.

1. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    In today's first match, the USA clinched a QF berth with a 4-1 win over Russia:

USA 4 (2'-Woznuk pk, 25'-Rostedt, 60'-Rostedt, 63'-Rapinoe) Russia 1 (46'-Sochneva)

Spain has a slim 1-0 lead over Korea early in the second half.

2. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Spain held on to beat Korea 2-1

Spain 2 (19-Boho, 57'-Boho) Korea 1 (72'-Eun Sun Park)

So the situation in Group C is this:

USA 6 (+6)
    Russia 3 (0)
    Spain 3 (-2)
    Korea 0 (-4)

USA needs only to get a draw vs Spain in their final group match to clinch the top spot and a QF game vs the 3rd-place team out of group A or B.

4 pts is enough to clinch one of the two best 3rd-place spots, so Russia and Spain will also advance with a tie or win in their games. Obviously, Spain has the tougher task vs the USA while Russia faces Korea. Russia clinches second with a win over Korea, which would get them a QF matchup vs the top team in Group B.

Korea can still finish as high as second in the group, but they must beat Russia by at least 3 goals. If this happens, and Spain loses to the US, then it's a 3-way tie for second. Goal difference would be the tie-breaker, and Korea would get second place in the group. There is also a chance of Korea going through in 3rd place if they win by less than 3 (or if Spain gets a point vs the US), but it's not likely.

3. RUUDVN

RUUDVN BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC

It's highly unlikely, by the way, how many team will go to the next round from each group ? 2 or 3 ?

4. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    The top 2 in each group go through automatically, but only the best 2 out of the 3 3rd-place teams go through. I'm just looking at the possibilities, not the likelihoods, as I haven't had a chance to actually view any of these games and judge the strengths of each team.

5. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    So, the playoff picture is starting to emerge.

Assuming that the remaining matches go something like this:

Canada 2 Gemany 2 (I hope that isn't too doom-and-gloom)
    Australia 4 Thailand 0

China 2 Brazil 1
    Nigeria 2 Italy 1

USA 3 Spain 2
    Russia 2 Korea 1,

The playoff picture might look like this:

19 21 Nov 04 1700 Chiang Mai 1A-3BC - Germany v. Brazil
    20 21 Nov 04 1700 Suphachalasai 1B-2C - China v. Russia
    21 21 Nov 04 1945 Chiang Mai 1C-3BA - USA v. Australia
    22 21 Nov 04 1945 Suphachalasai 2A-2B - Canada v. Nigeria

I'm pretty sure that the third in Group 2 will advance because of Group differential, the question is whether Australia (and they should) will make up enough differential playing Thailand to finish ahead of Korea and Spain in case they win.

6. RUUDVN

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC

it sounds like the olympic, isn't it ? I thought FIFA had promised not to do this kind of draw anymore after some countries complaining at the olympic.

7. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    The problem with the Olympics was actually that there were unbalanced groups - 2 groups of 3 and one of 4 - so that the teams in the 4-team group had one extra game in the group phase. The Olympics will actually increase from 10 to 12 women's teams next time around, so it'll likely have the same format as this tournament.

8. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Full time scores in the final Group B matches:

China 1 (53'-Lou) Brazil 2 (38'-Marta, 47'-Cristiane)
    Italy 1 (Manieri-68') Nigeria 1 (Sabi-88')

So Brazil and China both finish on 6 points. Brazil wins the group by virtue of today's win. Nigeria finishes on 4 points and advances to the quarterfinals in 3rd place (because the 3rd-place team in Group A will have no more than 3). Italy falls victim to a late goal for the 3rd straight game. They get a point but finish last and are eliminated.

Brazil will play the 2nd-place team in Group C (Russia?)
    China will play the 2nd-place team in Group A (Canada or Germany)
    Nigeria will play the 1st-place team in Group A or C (Canada/Germany or USA?)

9. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    And in Group A:

Canada 3 (40'-Lang, 42'-Maranda, 63'-Timko) Germany 3 (4'-Hanebeck, 10'-Mittag, 37'-Mittag)
    Australia 5 (10'-McCallum, 19'-McCallum, 26'-Wiwasukhu og, 45'-Ledbrook, 55'-Kuralay) Thailand 0

Canada came back from 3-0 but Germany held on for the draw to win the group. Australia did what they had to do and now has to wait for the Group C matches tomorrow.

10. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    One quarterfinal is set: China vs Canada.

Germany will face either Nigeria or the 3rd-place team in Group C.

Here are the possibilities for Australia -

- If both Russia and Spain get at least a point in their final matches, Australia is out.

- If Russia gets 1 or more pts vs Korea and the USA defeats Spain, then Australia advances on goal difference ahead of Spain (Russia would finish second)

- If Spain gets 1 or more pts vs the USA and Korea defeats Russia by fewer than 4 goals, then Australia advances on goal difference ahead of Korea

- If BOTH Russia and Spain lose, then it's a little more complicated within the group, but Australia would still advance. The 3-way tie for second would be broken by goal difference/goals scored among Spain, Russia and Korea. Russia is at +3, Spain will be at -2 no matter what, and Korea is at -1. If Korea wins by 1, Russia gets 2nd. If Korea wins by 2, goals scored would break the tie - Russia has 4, Korea 1, so Korea would need to score at least 3 goals to finish second. If Korea wins by 3 or more goals, they get second.

11. RUUDVN

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    Will the US beat Spain ? .. i think they should beat Spain in order to avoid facing Brazil early in the tournament...

12. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003

The USA should not have much trouble with Spain - and I'm not convinced Brazil is a team they should be worried about in any case. I think Germany and Canada are the other big guns in this tournament. Looks like the USA and Germany are headed to a semi-final showdown.

13. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    Third place advancements as I understand them: Australia is through unless Spain beats or ties the US (unlikely) or Korea beats Russia by 5 goals (doubtful), or if Spain ties or beats the US and Russia loses by no more than one goal). Nigeria is through in any scenario, and will probaly meeet Germany. If Spain or Korea makes it through, then Germany would have to meet them (or Russia if htey lose by no more than one goal) and the US would have to meet Nigeria. Otherwise, Australia meets the US. Phew.

Canada meets China, which in my opinion is better for Canada than Brazil (Brazil has more power and overall skill). China is an opportunistic possesion team that may capitalise on Canada's open long ball style, but they lack flash on attack. Canada will have to be physical and outhustle the Chinese, and hope they get a decent ref like Gerard today. Nigeria may have been better, as Canada could physically dominate them, attleast at the opening. Nigeria's strength, besides speed and individual flair, is ability is to withstand the heat and tiredness in the tropical heat, as they showed against Brazil, and Germany will have to get to them early.

14. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    In the Germany/Canada match, great work by referee Sarah Girard from France, best work by a female referee I've ever seen. She was fair, consistent, and did an admirable job of keeping tempers in check. She should be awarded the final.

15. Idgie_no10

Idgie_no10 New Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Yes, I totally agree with that one. It was an unexpectedly hard fought match, but she had no major problems - that was indeed very remarkable given the refereeing performances we've seen so far.
    BTW: The slovak referee in Chn-Bra was very good, too. Though she had a much easier job, of course.

16. RUUDVN

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    WOW !!! ...i just watched the clip of Ger-Can on FSW, there were three unbelivable goals, one by Ger and the other two by Canadian, i didn't think it was the U-19 match at that time...

17. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Seems bizarre to me that there is a rest day between the last Group A and B matches yesterday and the last Group C matches. But whatever ....

18. RUUDVN

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    after watching that clip yesterday, i think Ger-Can will be in the final .... haven't seen US plays, i could change my mind though ... ;)

19. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    I've seen the USA play in CONCACAF and they were superb. They lost to Canada by an OT goal - the game could have gone either way. I bet Mark has his team playing even better now.

I still think the USA is the team to beat. Germany must be wondering if 2004 is going to be 2002 all over again (Germany lost to the USA in the semi's.). Germany looks stronger than it did 2 years ago so it could be a very close match.

If there ever was any lingering doubt about Canada, the last game should have dispelled it. I don't see any other team in the tournament, except for maybe the USA, having the strength and composure to climb out of a 3-0 hole against Germany. The game may have ended in a draw but Canada won the battle of wills and now has what appears to be the easier route to the final. Couldn't have been scripted any better.

20. RUUDVN

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    but that Kara Lang's goal was just GREAT and also the Mittag's while Timko looked unstopable out there, it will be a competitive match if one or both meet the US, perhaps the WC 2002 semi and final will be repeated.

21. Ottawaflier10

Ottawaflier10 New Member

Oct 27, 2004
    I watched the game on TSN, and while all three Canadian goals were well struck, they were certainly stoppable. Lang's first goal was a 35 yard, set piece, drilled just below the crossbar. Given Kara always strikes the ball hard, but Rinkes barely got off the ground, and looked disoriented in the air. Same thing with Maranda's score--well struck ball, aided by lousy positioning by the keeper. On the third goal, Rinkes committed the cardinal sin of leaving the near post open for Timko, so even though Germany's offence--spearheaded by the supremely talented Mittag, is explosive, I would be very surprised to see them in the finals with such poor keeping.

Overall, fun first half, but the second half had way too many long balls for my liking. The Canadian defenders, particularly Lang, need to stop booting off so many mindless long balls.

22. RUUDVN

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    I think Mittag strike was alittle fluke, meaning she won't get the same result if she does it again, but, Kara Lang did the same thing during the 2003 WC semi against Sweden.

23. Ottawaflier10

Ottawaflier10 New Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Kara's free kicks are kind of unpredictable--either she's on, ala the German and Thailand matches, or she's way high. She took a couple of long free-kicks in the second half that were nowhere near frame. Mittag just has a nose for the goal. Fluke or not, the girl finds ways to get it done. But with that said, I'd rather have Lang on my team.

24. Mel10

Mel10 New Member

Apr 24, 2001
    in your underpants
    It seems to be the senior squad forte, so we can keep a solid line of defenders and midfielders and let our one to two strikers (at the most it seems sometimes) chase down those long balls. Kara jsut seems to be carryin' it over.

25. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    I think you were swayed by the TSN coverage. Craig Forrest (TSN colorman) is completely new to women's soccer and he's a retired keeper. His standards are a bit unrealistic for the women's game. Granted, the shots (Lang's and Maranda's) were stoppable but there are lots of good women's keepers who would have missed them too. They were both more difficult than the shot that Lang scored against Sweden in the WWC semi's and the one that Marta scored against Canada (2002 U19 semi's). Timko was 1-v-1 with the German keeper at close range. It was going to be a very close call no matter what the keeper did. Germany's keeping wasn't poor, it was average.

Again, Forrest was complaining about the long balls. There were a lot of them, but no more than normal - he was just whining because Germany plays a prettier game. Wait till he sees the lovely soccer played by the USA, he'll really have something to whine about.