2004 MLS Draft

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Matrim55, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't seem to find the current draft order. Does anyone have a link?

Also, I wanted to start this thread so we'd see some speculation on next year's draft. Obviously it's tough to do given how early in the process we are, but some educated guesses would be nice to see (I'm looking at you, Sandon!).

So pretend Adu, Nunez, all the U-20 defenders (save Marshall), and the big African striker from Cape Cod all enter the mix. Who goes where when?

2. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    Who's this African striker? I just think defenders (esp centerbacks) will dominate this draft. But it is still too early since the college season having end yet.

3. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Drafts are held in reverse order of the prior year's finish, so there is no draft order yet.

However, I think it is already a sure thing that Dallas was the natural holder of the 2004 first pick.

Not sure if they still have that pick or if they traded it.

4. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    I don't believe they have announced a site for the draft this year have they?

5. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: 2004 MLS Draft

The order's pretty clear at this point:

1)Dallas
    2)Columbus
    3)LA
    4)KC/DC/NE
    5)KC/DC/NE
    6)KC/DC/NE
    7)Metro/Colorado
    8)Metro/Colorado
    9)Chicago
    10)San Jose

Some picks have been traded, though (picks can be traded in MLS - like the NFL, NHL and NBA and unlike MLB). I know the Metros traded their top two picks, however, so I was hoping someone would have the links to the current draft order, or at least an update as to which picks had traded hands.

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    *The draft will be in Charlotte, NC. Like last year, it will be part of the NSCAA's convention.

*Dallas has their own pick plus LA's (Suarez deal) and DC's (Cerritos deal).

*Regular season finish only determinnes the order of the first two picks of each round. The rest of the order is how teams do in the playoffs, with regular season finish the tie breaker. In otherwords, if DC or LA win it all, despite finishing fourth in their conference, they will have the 10th pick (and then give it to Dallas).

*The African striker from Cape Cod is Joseph Ngwenya, a senior at Coastal Carolina via Zimbabwe.

*If Nunez coms out, I would guess Dallas takes him No. 1. I say that assuming Adu won't be in the draft.

*For talk of top college and youth national team players, check out the college and youth national team boards. You'll get a lot of inciteful discussion about the players, and potential players, in the draft there.

7. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, Sandon.

Mods - Could we move this to the Men's College and Amateur board?

And then maybe try to come up with a list of the top 20 prospects that could (should) be in the 2004 draft?

8. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: 2004 MLS Draft

Revs should get #9 pick for Peter Nowak fiasco.

9. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Why? KC received nothing for either Lalas or the Dallas guy that retired post being traded to KC.

10. NateP

NateP Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Plainfield, NH, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the time "Revs Mgmt" came on the Revs board and claimed it was a condition of the trade. We get the Fire's first round pick if they finish fifth or better or their second round pick if they finish sixth or worse IIRC. I believe they also get to keep the allocation for Nowak, so it works out to be a conditional draft pick for cap relief plus the Nowak allocation. This was apparently built in to make sure we got something for helping Chicago out of their cap trouble if Nowak decided to retire rather than play for the Revs.

11. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was apparently part of the original trade that sent Nowak to New England.

If Nowak refused to report, then that would trigger the second part of the deal where the Revs would send their 3rd round pick and some cap room to the Fire in exchange for the Fire's first or second round pick, depending on where they finished.

Bottom line is that the Revs own Chicago's first round pick.

12. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    That's fine, a second round pick for the Fire is equal to a first rounder for any other team.

13. The Artist

The Artist Member+

Mar 22, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this the first recorded instance of draft trash talk?

My coach is going to draft circles around your sorry team!

Your coach needs help picking his nose!

You call that a draft pick? More like a daft pick.

14. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    You're a pretty cool dude.