2004 Lhusoc (r)

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by chn71, Oct 15, 2003.

1. chn71

chn71 Member

Jul 23, 2000
    Elyria, Oh
    Well, it looks like we'll see expanded spots in the Open Cup field for the USASA and PDL clubs this year. The Florida State Soccer Association website says that BOTH the winner and the runner up of the USASA Region III qualifiers will advance to the Cup.

http://www.fssa.org/nationalcup/NCdetailsfor2004.htm

I'm sure this will be the case for the other regions as well. Will this mean more PDL clubs will get spots as well? I'm assuming so, since the USASA teams have traditionally played PDL clubs in the first round.

8 each from USASA & PDL, plus 8 from the A-League and 10 from MLS puts the number at 34, the same as last year. It will be interesting to see how many of the PSL teams are included.

2. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Well so far it reads about two clubs from Region III of the USASA. But if there will be more clubs joining in from the lower levels then this is great news as more spots are going to be created to add in more sides to enter the USOC.

Once MLS goes to 20 then the USL leagues from the A-League all the way down to the PDL should start to even out and we can have a true FA Cup tourney. Still we have a long way to go.

3. chn71

chn71 Member

Jul 23, 2000
    Elyria, Oh
    Actually, I think they almost have no choice but to include more PDL teams, when you consider that there are more PDL clubs then MLS, A-League and PDL combined right now.

As far as the USASA goes, I see that as a way to try and get more clubs to enter qualifying. Region III is allowing two teams from each state into their regional qualifying, so I'm curious to see if thats the case for other regions. I know Region III has had a more difficult tiem getting clubs to participate in recent years, so perhaps the two per state qualifying is just for them.

Hopefully US Soccer will be announcing the format soon, I'm guessing that will be when the PDL and PSL are finalized and announced by the USL.

Maryland First Round
    Jerry D's 1-0 Bertha FC
    Baltimore Colts FC 4-1 Cantron FC

Semifinals - Feb. 11
    Baltimore Bays Christos v. Baltimore Colts FC
    Jerry D's v. Allied SC

4. chn71

chn71 Member

Jul 23, 2000
    Elyria, Oh
    It's confirmed, The PDL will get 8 teams in the Open Cup this year, Cape Cod as defending champs, 2 each from the Easter, Central and Southern conferences, and one from the West

5. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    That's great news Chn71. But is there a link to it? Not saying I don't believe you, but where please.

6. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Never mind I found it.

http://www.uslsoccer.com/home/67479.html

Lamar Hunt US Open Cup Qualification

The PDL will send eight representatives to the 2004 edition of the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup. The defending champion Cape Cod Crusaders receive an automatic berth in the tournament with the remaining seven entrants to be determined from four groups after four qualification matches. The Central, Eastern and Southern Conferences will send the top two clubs from their respective groups with the Western Conference sending one. The format of the tournament for 2004 is expected to be announced in the coming weeks.

7. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
  8. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    So Snake Eyes. Glad to see you back for 2004. Any more predictions for your Menace? Or are you gonna hold off from your mistakes last year? ;)

Other than that. 2/3rd of USL Qualifying are done. Now all we need is the PSL to announce their schedule and we are all set.

9. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    There WILL be an MLS team in Des Moines this year... and I am not talking about the game versus KC that's already scheduled. :)

10. chn71

chn71 Member

Jul 23, 2000
    Elyria, Oh
    PSL schedule is out today

http://www.uslsoccer.com/home/67537.html

They will get 6 teams in, Wilmington as champs, and 5 top qualifiers.

So that brings the total to 40, so it will be interesting to see how the cup will be set up this year.

I'm working on getting the PSL stuff up on the website right now..... http:lhusoc.tripoc.com

11. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Thanks for the infor Chn71. Now all we have to do is wait on US Soccer to create the tournament schedule. From Round 1 all the way to the Finals. I can't wait.

12. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not just put all 10 in? Seems kind of dumb to have qualifying just to get from 10 to 8.

13. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Is there any news about any of the USASA state league matches of Qualifiers for the Regional tournaments Chn71? So far no news or announcement of how the 2004 USOC is going to be set up by US Soccer.

14. Mr Fish

Mr Fish Member

Feb 2, 1999
    W. Orange <-> NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps once the MLS schedule is released the fed will announce all the USOC dates.

Looking forward to following the Cup again this year with all on the USOC boards.

15. chn71

chn71 Member

Jul 23, 2000
    Elyria, Oh
    So far it's all quiet on the USASA front, the next scheduled matches I have dug up are on Feb. 11 for Maryland, although I've found registration deadlines for a few states, which I have on the USASA section of my website.

We'll should see the USASA action pick up in March.

16. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Woo- hooo! I'm *there*!

...If that doesn't motivate some team from Texas North to enter the competition this year, *nothing* will.

17. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.usasa.com/calendar.asp

2004 Events

May 28-31, 2004
    Dallas, TX USASA
    Region III National Cups - Regionals

June 4-6, 2004
    Albuquerque, NM
    Region IV National Cups Regionals

June 18-20, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    USASA Region II National Cups - Regionals

(looking for Region I schedule)

Aug 6-8, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    USASA National Cup Finals

18. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Thanks for the information man. Need to soak this all in till Feb 18th and MLS 2004 starts. OOOOOO I Can't wait for the US Open Cup Tourney to start.

19. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About a month ago, HalaMadrid posted this info in another thread.

2004 Lamar Hunt US Open Cup format:

First Round (16)
    8 USASA
    8 Premier Development League

Second Round (16)
    8 First Round winners
    5 Premier Soccer League
    3 A-League

Third Round (16)
    8 Second Round winners
    6 A-League
    2 MLS (Dallas and LA or Columbus)

Fourth Round (16)
    8 Third Round winners
    8 MLS

Quarterfinals (8)

Semifinals (4)

Final (2)

20. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the Florida site:

Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Rounds of Play

Region 3 will send two teams from our Open Cup competition to participate in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup following our Regional tournament in May. Both teams that participate in the Region 3 Open Cup final will go on to play in the US Open Cup. The two Region 3 finalists will play against regional PDL teams on June 8, 2004. Any team that enters the Region 3 Open Cup in 2004 must be prepared to begin play in the US Open Cup on June 8, 2004 should they be a finalist at the regional tournament.

21. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    That would make 9 A-League clubs when it's all said & done. One club to many.

22. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Monster Said

First Round (16)
    8 USASA

Second Round (16)
    8 First Round winners
    5 Premier Soccer League
    3 A-League

Third Round (16)
    8 Second Round winners
    6 A-League

Fourth Round (16)
    8 Third Round winners
    8 MLS

Quarterfinals (8)

Semifinals (4)

Final (2)
    --------------------------------------------------

Monster. Now I know what's wrong. The Pro Select League has 6 clubs. Wilmington Hammerheads has the automatic bid due to winning the PSL title. 5 others who will advance from qualifying will join Wilmington. So it should read like this.

First Round (16)
    8 USASA

Second Round (16)
    8 First Round winners
    6 Premier Soccer League
    2 A-League

Third Round (16)
    8 Second Round winners
    6 A-League

Fourth Round (16)
    8 Third Round winners
    8 MLS

Quarterfinals (8)

Semifinals (4)

Final (2)

No worries man. Just a little error. Easily fixed.

23. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I took it right from Hala, who posted it before the A League format was announced. It could have changed in that meantime. But like you said, no big deal.

24. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    ;) Good man.

25. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States