2004 Commitments

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by 2leftshoes, Oct 10, 2003.

1. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If I were to believe the rumor, DP is leaning towards Santa Clara.

Another recruit for SCU - Jordan Angeli from Colorado Rush. A Region IV player and a HS teammate of Marian Dalmy.

2. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    ACC signees

Clemson and Maryland have released the names of their signees. Here's a quick cut-and-paste from the ACC website.

Clemson:

Jacquelyn Hines, F, Seneca, SC
    Lou Hudson, M/F, Mount Pleasant, SC
    Logan Hull, B, Lakewood, CO
    Ashley Philips, G, West Peabody, MA

Maryland:

midfielder Nataly Arias (Alexandria, Va./Bishop O'Connell High School)
    defender/midfielder Stephanie "Stevie" Dunning (Carmel, Ind./Carmel High School)
    defender Lauren Gamble (Rockville, Md./Our Lady of Good Counsel High School)
    forward/midfielder Carissa Gilbert (Liverpool, N.Y./Liverpool High School)
    forward Kelly Rozumalski (Middleburgh, N.Y./Middleburgh Central High School)

3. soccermen889

soccermen889 New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    good recruiting class for both maryland and clemson it looks like

4. l'AJA

l'AJA New Member

May 19, 2002
    Garden Grove, Calif.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good classes

Good classes, too, from Cal and Ohio State. Portland got the Rapinoe sisters and Natalie Budge -- that's a good class considering they started six freshmen last year. Texas did well. Penn State and Texas A&M have great classes. UNC, as always. Santa Clara didn't do badly, considering they also had limited funds this time around. Notre Dame has a real good class. Clemson has a real good class, especially Jobe. Maryland did well, so did Duke. Vanderbilt did all right for a second-level school. Indiana had a good class last year, added Kruger. UC Irvine has a decent class, best in the Big West (a most underrated conference). Minnesota did all right, especially with Moench transfering.

Still got a lot of names to track down.

5. Boston Bob

Boston Bob New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    FROM SOCCER AMERICA

1. TOP CLASSES: National letter-of-intent signing day for high school players passed Wednesday, but not every school -- not many of them, really -- has yet announced its class.

We know where the vast majority of the bluest chips are headed, however, and have a pretty good idea which are the top classes in the country.

Soccer America will release its Top 10 classes and Top 25 recruits later this spring, but the battle for the No. 1 class looks -- at first glance -- like it might come down to these four:

North Carolina -- The Tar Heels usually reel in a first-class group. U.S. U-19 and U-21 goalkeeper Ashlyn Harris is the big name, but Carolina also grabbed Canadian defender Robyn Gayle, a burgeoning national-teamer, plus U.S. U-19 pool forward J'aime Gilbert and high school All-American (and two-sport athlete, with lacrosse) Katie Brooks, both from Massachusetts.

Notre Dame -- Forward Kerri Hanks was a reserve forward with the U.S. U-19 team at the 2002 World Championship and may start for the U-19s in Thailand next fall. Forward Amanda Cinalli is in the U-19 pool. Forward Susan Pinnick, from South Bend, is an NSCAA Youth and High School All-American. Goalkeeper Lauren Karas and midfielder Ashley Jones are ODP regional players.

Penn State -- Three 2003 Parade All-Americans (forward Sheree Gray, midfielder Zoe Bouchelle and defender Denay Riley) head the Nittany Lions' class. All have U.S. U-19 experience, and Gray --one of the big prizes this year -- played for the U-21s at the Nordic Cup last summer. Region I ODP forward Aubrey Aden-Buie impressed at last month's U-19 interregional.

Texas A&M -- The best class in Aggie history might be the nation's best, too, for quality and depth. G. Guerreri has brought in 11 players, including U.S. U-19 pool players Amy Berend, Melissa Garey and Ashlee Pistorius, and NSCAA Youth All-Americans Sara Albrecht, Jordan Falcusan and Marissa Sarkesian. And midfielder Paige Carmichael, who doesn't play ODP, may be the best of the lot.

Other impressive recruiting classes include California's, Clemson's, Maryland's, Michigan's, Ohio State's, Portland's and Texas'.

2. A COUPLE GEMS: Ohio State's class includes Swiss national-teamer Lara Dickenmann, a forward and midfielder with extensive international experience.

Dickenmann has made eight appearances for Switzerland, a second-tier European side, and played in 24 games for the Swiss U-19 team, for which she remains eligible. She's been a regular in the Swiss full team's starting lineup during the current European Championship qualifying campaign.

She also has been a standout player for FC Sursee, which has won the past two Swiss championships and leads the Swiss Nationalliga A this season with a 9-0-1 record at winter break. Dickenmann has scored 28 goals for Sursee over the past two and a half seasons.

Paige Carmichael, from Scottsdale, Ariz., isn't widely known, but that could soon change. "She is Roy Keane," raves Texas A&M coach G. Guerreri, who thinks she might be the best signing in an outstanding Aggie class.

"Paige is without doubt the most influential player on our team," says Sereno Golden Eagles 86 White coach Les Armstrong, whose squad Carmichael captained to last year's USYSA U-17 championship. "She is a winner and a leader. If I were to select any national team, her name would be the first on the team sheet."

3. WORTH NOTING: Texas A&M midfielder Ashlee Pistorius also will play basketball for the Aggies, although she is expected to redshirt her first hoops season. ...

Another Aggie recruit is goalkeeper Julie Spearink, a Californian with English parents who moved to Britain a couple years ago and plays for England's U-19 women's team. We mentioned her last week because she's played with Southampton in the English League; she also has played with Arsenal as a guest player. She'll benefit from two years with Soccer America MVP Kati Jo Spisak. ...

Two Clemson recruits -- midfielder Elizabeth Jobe, who was in the most recent U.S. U-19 camp, and defender Lindsay Beam, who was in last year's U-17 pool -- are already enrolled in school and will take part in the Tigers' spring season. ...

This is a class deep in goalkeepers. Ashlyn Harris, headed to North Carolina, might be the best recruit in country. Other top keepers are Val Henderson (headed to UCLA), Lynn Murray (Wisconsin) and Ashley Phillips (Clemson). No word yet on two other top keepers, Laura Comeau and Canadian Stephanie Labbe. ...

Midfielder Chioma Igwe, headed to California, comes from a soccer family. Her father, Tony, played for Nigeria's national team after winning three NCAA championships at San Francisco. Her brother, Kelechi, plays for NCAA semifinalist Santa Clara. ...

Forward Courtney Crandell, a first-team NSCAA All-American and Soccer America Freshman All-American in 2002, has transferred from Charlotte to Auburn. Crandell scored 30 goals (with 12 assists) in two seasons with the 49ers, 21 as a freshman. ...

Midfielder Allie True, ranked 20th on Soccer America's list of the top 25 recruits of 2002, is transferring from UCLA to Colorado. True scored a goal and assisted four more in 22 games as a Bruin freshman, then took last season off. ...

Stanford snatched NorCal midfielder Lizzy George, who scored 1510 on her SAT. ...

Canadian phenom Aysha Jamani, a high school junior from Calgary, has made an early commitment for Nebraska. Jamani was dominant on the Canadian U-19 team's Trinidad tour last month, then made her first three appearances (including two starts) for the full Canadian national team at the Four Nations tournament in China. ...

6. MoHeelfan

MoHeelfan Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Ozarks
  7. SECsoccerjunky

SECsoccerjunky New Member

Feb 13, 2004
    2004 Commitments-SEC

well, for a conference ranked 2nd in the country I would have to say that with the exception of a few, the incoming classes are average. I am trying to keep in mind that 4 teams have posted their signees. But here we go!

KY- impressive, definitely some talent

Ole Miss- average

Miss St- big deal they have a Canadian, I've heard that before. I 'm sure she is no Melanie Booth!

Arkansas- new coach, we'll see!

Vanderbilt- impressive, definitely some good experience.

Auburn- could be interesting

AL- texas players, but are they up to the level?

UGA -average, a Canadian Player, but will she impact the Bulldogs immediately.

UT- not posted

USC- not posted

LSU- not posted

FL- not posted

Who did UT and FL bring in? They are the big dogs!
    Hopefully some of these players in this years class are true soccer players and not just athletes! I loved the athleticism this year, but lets see SOCCER the way it was meant to be played.

8. l'AJA

l'AJA New Member

May 19, 2002
    Garden Grove, Calif.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: SEC

Tennessee is getting Lindsay Brauer, who played for Region III at the U-19 interregional last month.

Florida got Region III player Cristina Saenz, who committed a year ago. The Gators are said to be well in the running for Kara Lang, but she's not expected to sign until next year.

Very interested in who else they bring in.

As far as the SEC being "ranked second": This sounds like one of those NCAA things that makes no sense.

The SEC is an improving conference, but it's not nearly as strong as the ACC, the Pac-10, the WCC, the Big East or the Big 12. Florida and Tennessee are national powers, and Auburn is a solid team, and several other programs -- Georgia, South Carolina, Mississippi and Kentucky -- are decent. I'd put it on a level with the Big Ten, a "major" conference that, aside from its powers, is still trying to reach that upper echelon.

The best of the Big West, Sun Belt, C-USA, Atlantic Sun and Atlantic 10 conferences compare with most of the SEC.

I don't know that this will be the case for long. The top recruits are better spread around this year than ever before, and the Big 12, Big Ten and SEC should continue to climb near the ACC-P10-WCC triumvirate given the amount of money the conferences and universities have.

But Central Florida is a well-run program, and there are several C-USA schools that do very well with unheralded players. And watch out for the Big West. Cal Poly and UCSB are good, Pacific is bringing in a real good class, UCI has some good players coming in, and Fullerton has a Mexican national-teamer it's been trying to get in (long story) for the past two years. That would be three Mexican internationals at Fullerton.

9. 2leftshoes

2leftshoes New Member

Sep 17, 2003
    bay area
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    recruitment list

soccer buzz has begun posting 2004 recruitment list on their website.

ww.soccerbuzz.com

10. Boston Bob

Boston Bob New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    Ranking the classes

Thought I would have some fun and open myself up to everyones ridicule.

Here is my thoughts about the top 10 incoming classes at this point.

Problem is I have not seen or heard anything about FSU,UF,UConn, or UCLA, so I can't include them. Somehow I think one or more might belong here.

1. Texas A&M
    2. UNC
    3. Penn State
    4. Portland
    5. Notre Dame
    6. Ohio State
    7. Texas
    8. Clemson
    9. California
    10. Maryland

Am I way off?

11. soccermen889

soccermen889 New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    Boston Bob, your list seems accurate to me. Who is attending Portland in 2004??
    Here's what I think on the top 10.

1.Texas A&M
    2. Notre Dame
    3. UNC
    4. Penn State
    5. Texas
    6. Clemson
    7. Maryland
    8. Ohio State
    9. California
    10. Michigan

12. silent

silent New Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Dallas
    Ok, so let's say Texas A&M has the top class. Can you bring in 11 new players into a system only graduating one starter and still pull it all together to put a top 10 team in the 2004 season? Will this advance there cause or hurt it? Just wondering not a comment.

13. Skoergal

Skoergal Member

Feb 19, 2004
    California
    It hasn't been mentioned from what I can see, but Erin Macleod from the Canadian Nat Team is heading to Penn State, transferring from SMU, which makes their class even better.

14. TexanSoccer06

TexanSoccer06 New Member

Well it can't hurt. It puts the existing girls on notice that no one, not even our All American GK Katie Jo Spisak is assured of playing time next year. It also can't when depth issues arise. I cant wait to get the season started.

15. Bruin Spirit

Bruin Spirit New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Southern California
    New Bruins

2004 UCLA SIGNEES

Name Pos. (Hometown)
    Lindsey Appezzato MF (Davis, Calif.)
    Valerie Henderson GK (Orinda, Calif.)
    Brynn McGrath D (Old Brookville, NY)
    Theresa Oda-Burns D (Portola Valley, Calif.)
    Alma Playle MF (Davis, Calif.)
    Jennifer Sayles F/MF (Los Angeles)
    Ashley Thompson GK (Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif.)

16. runbabyrun

runbabyrun New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    Why did Alie True leave the bruins for Colorado?

17. Bruin Spirit

Bruin Spirit New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Southern California
    She hung up her boots (at UCLA that is) right before the 2003 preseason started, but I have no clue why. When the roster came out, one of the first things I noticed was the absence of her name. I can't imagine Allie's leaving having anything to do with playing time. She started almost every game as a freshman in '02, and participated and contributed a lot during the spring season.

Colorado is a program on the rise, and she'll definitely help them get a lot better during the three years of eligibility she has left. My words of advice to Allie at her new school--stay away from the football players! :p (Sorry I couldn't resist).

18. champion727

champion727 New Member

Dec 27, 2003
    ND signee

Last week, Notre Dame signed the highly-coveted Finnish sensation Jannica Tjeder. Tjeder heavily recruited and reported leaning to University of Florida before the ND signing.

19. khsoccergeek

khsoccergeek New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    West Virginia
  20. tiej

tiej New Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Winston Salem, NC
    Re: 2004 Commitments - SMU

Ariel House - Member of Elk Grove Pride of the Women's Professional Soccer League, attends Oak Ridge and has a scholarship to SMU.

Cameron Park's little kid makes good

By JERRY HEINZER The Mountain Democrat Staff writer

21. Mike Fekula

Mike Fekula Member

Oct 19, 2000
  22. Tisha's#1

Tisha's#1 New Member

Jan 29, 2000
    USA
    you can add Kim Coates to UNC's incoming class... junior transfer from Louisburg College

23. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    hey guys ...

just thought i would post and say that Canadian U19 goalkeeper Stephanie Labbé has signed on with UConn and teammate Selenia Iacchelli is heading to Nebraska ... both will defer this fall (b/c of U19 Championships in Thailand) and won't play their first year of NCAA ball until 2005.

elaine