2004 Commitments

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by 2leftshoes, Oct 10, 2003.

1. TexanSoccer06

TexanSoccer06 New Member

The Aggies have also signed the U-19 WNT midfielder Amy Berend.

2. dylan383

dylan383 New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Texas
    Is she related to the Berend that plays for the aggies now?

3. 2leftshoes

2leftshoes New Member

Sep 17, 2003
    bay area
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. TexanSoccer06

TexanSoccer06 New Member

Younger sister.

5. Upper90. Inc.

Upper90. Inc. New Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Dallas
    A B

And an even better player!

6. champion727

champion727 New Member

Dec 27, 2003
    canadians

still a questionmark where the canadians robin gayle and kara lang are headed. unc is claiming robin gayle verbal (along with Jaimee Gilbert, Katie Brooks and Ashlyn Harris). If so, that's a strong class, perhaps the best in the country. But it's unconfirmed and could be unc hubris talking - plenty of that even without a great new class of recruits. to make it worse, scu doesn't have any national caliber players at this point, not likely to repeat last year's top draft class. psu, und and ta&m each have a couple of strong verbals to build on and could have great classes. looks like unc with the best class at this point, but the gayle and lang commitments could change all that.

7. dylan383

dylan383 New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Texas
    Texas A&M

2004 Texas A&M Soccer Signees (11)
    Name Pos. Ht. Class Hometown (High School) Club Team
    Albrecht, Sara M 5-8 Fr. Kingwood, Texas (Kingwood) Klein Challenge
    Berend, Amy M 5-5 Fr. Highland Village, Texas (Marcus) Dallas Texans
    Carmichael, Paige D 5-7 Fr. Glendale, Ariz. (Mountain Ridge) Sereno Golden Eagles
    Falcusan, Jordan D 5-5 Fr. Plymouth, Mich. (Salem) Michigan Hawks
    Garey, Melissa M 5-8 Fr. Gonzales, La. (St. Amant) Baton Rouge Soccer Club
    Green, Jessica M 5-7 Fr. Katy, Texas (Cinco Ranch) Klein Challenge
    Martino, Allison M 5-3 Fr. Draper, Utah (Alta) Firebirds Soccer Club
    Pistorius, Ashlee F 5-10 Fr. Normal, Ill. (University) Busch Soccer Club
    Sarkesian, Marissa F/M 5-8 Fr. Canton, Mich. (Salem) Michigan Hawks
    Spearink, Julie GK 5-8 Fr. Loughborough, England English U-19 National Team
    Wilmoth, Kelly D 5-8 Fr. Allen, Texas (Allen) D'Feeters

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COACH G'S COMMENTS ON THE 2004 SIGNING CLASS: "This is a fantastic class! Each of the players in this signing class are winners, leaders, and outstanding young ladies. They - when combined with the returning players already at Texas A&M - will help to complete one of the deepest and most talented rosters we've seen in Aggieland in years. When you look at the fact that the 11th-ranked team in America is replacing it's lone senior (Kristen Strutz) with a class that includes no less than six NSCAA All-Americans, I think it could strike a collective ‘uh-oh’ from many of our opponents. It should also ignite a lot of excitement from our supporters.

"I am sure that many people out there will classify this year's signing class as among the best in the nation and one of the best we've had in our 11-year history at Texas A&M. The success of this class will of course be judged in the years to come and in the accomplishments our program attains during their careers in Aggieland. At A&M we talk about Building Champions. Our coaching staff can't wait to get this team on the field to start winning more soccer championships."

8. silent

silent New Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Dallas
    Texas A&M Class 2004

What an incredible group A&M has signed, not only in quality but quantity. How can a team graduating one senior bring in 11 players?

9. TexanSoccer06

TexanSoccer06 New Member

All I can say is wow. The Aggies didn't get a Kara Lang or anything, but this has to be one of the top, if not the top recruiting class in the nation. Good job Phil and G.

10. l'AJA

l'AJA New Member

May 19, 2002
    Garden Grove, Calif.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best classes

Word I've heard on Kara Lang is Florida or UNC, and the buzz on the Gators is very hot. Booth may be the key here.

Some thought Kara won't sign anytime soon. Her plan, I've been told by very reliable sources, is that she'll go straight from the Olympics to Canada's U-19 preparations. No college soccer until 2005.

This is true of many top recruits. The U.S. U-19s are planning on taking the fall semester off; I'd be surprised if all of Canada's U-19s didn't do the same.

Best classes, at this point, appear to be:

Penn State
    Texas A&M
    UNC
    Clemson
    Notre Dame

Santa Clara didn't need/have money for an exceptional class. They'll be soph-dominated next year and should challenge for the national title. QM may be GK -- is Sobolik back in if Ryder is Ashlyn Harris' U-19 backup?

Portland would have the best attacking 3 in the country if not for the 19s. Sinclair is due back, but Angie Woznuk and Megan Rapinoe will likely be working toward Portland.

Anyone hear anything about Veronique Maranda?

Biggest signings/commitments would include:

Sara Albrecht M Kingwood, Texas Texas A&M
    Nataly Arias F Alexandria, Va. Maryland
    Lindsay Beam D Greer, S.C. Clemson
    Amy Berend M Highland Village, Texas Texas A&M
    Zoe Bouchelle M Cockeysville, Md. Penn State
    Kelsey Carpenter F Allen, Texas Texas
    Amanda Cinalli F Maple Heights, Ohio Notre Dame
    Erin Doan D Dearborn, Mich. Michigan State
    Lisa DuCote M Fredericksburg, Va. West Virginia
    Stevie Dunning M Carmel, Ind. Maryland
    Jordan Falcusan D Plymouth, Mich. Texas A&M
    Melissa Garey M Gonzales, La. Texas A&M
    Robyn Gayle D Toronto North Carolina
    Lizzy George M Alamo, Calif. Stanford
    J'aime Gilbert F North Andover, Mass. North Carolina
    Sheree Gray F/M Toms River, N.J. Penn State
    Kerri Hanks F Allen, Texas Notre Dame
    Ashlyn Harris G Satellite Beach, Fla. North Carolina
    Stacia Hartung M Rochester, N.Y. Villanova
    Val Henderson G Orinda, Calif. UCLA
    Chioma Igwe_ M/F Belmont, Calif._ California
    Elizabeth Jobe M Roswell, Ga. Clemson
    Caitlin Kennedy D Euless, Texas Texas
    Molly Kruger M Carmel, Ind. Indiana
    Caroline Lea F/M Lakewood, Colo. California
    Stephanie Logterman M Austin, Texas Texas
    Kia McNeill D/F Avon, Conn. Boston College
    Lorraine Quinn M Farmingdale, N.Y. Duke
    Ashley Phillips G West Peabody, Mass. Clemson
    Susan Pinnick F South Bend, Ind. Notre Dame
    Ashlee Pistorius M Bloomington, Ill. Texas A&M
    Megan Rapinoe F Redding, Calif. Portland
    Jennifer Redmond M Morristown, N.J. Virginia
    Denay Riley D Washingtonville, N.Y. Penn State
    Marissa Sarkesian F/M Canton, Mich. Texas A&M
    Julie Spearink G San Ramon, Calif. Texas A&M
    Susie Weber D Islip, N.Y. Georgia

Ashley Kirk D Carlisle, Pa.
    Andrea Lee G Scotts Valley, Calif.
    Lynn Murray G Atlanta
    Linda Pierson D Missouri City, Texas
    Danielle Potts D Alamo, Calif.
    Monica Storm D Chino, Calif.

11. l'AJA

l'AJA New Member

May 19, 2002
    Garden Grove, Calif.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oops

Uh ... Woznuk and Rapinoe would be working toward THAILAND, not Portland.

Last few players on my list were part of a bigger list I have and am still filling in.

12. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Re: Best classes

Hey l'AJA, this is great stuff. Thanks a million!

Do you hear anything about Yael Averbuch, the NJ midfielder? And do you anticipate that Lang will announce her intentions soon, even though she may well take the fall04 semester off? And is the same true for Gayle, ie, might she defer entering college too? Regarding Kara's choice, you say, "Booth may be the key here." Who is Booth?

Thanks again. Welcome to BigSoccer! I hope you stick around.

13. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    UNC's signees

Finding out from UNC what their class is looking like is proving impossible, at least for me. I've tried the past few days to pry some information out of the Soccer Office and out of the SID, but, alas, to no avail. Last year their announcement was very late because their policy was not to release any information till they had all their signatures on paper and all the new signees OK'd by the Admissions Office, and not just the "big fish" either, but everybody, their entire class They know we are all very curious and frustrated, but I don't believe they will be taking mercy on us. Maybe they enjoy seeing us suffer. Well, just kidding, I guess.

14. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    Re: Best classes

véro has one more year in CEGEP before university ... and from my understanding she won't be going until 2005 ..

and yes, kara for sure is not going to university until 2005 ... got that straight from the source! lol

elaine

15. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    Re: Re: Best classes

booth is melanie booth (aka mel booth) and she's a player in the canadian team pool and was on the u19 team in edmonton. she's currently just finished her freshman year at florida ... i wouldn't say that mel is "key" in kara possibly going to florida, as there are many canadians in other schools as well, if that was a "key" factor for kara ...

elaine

FYI, mel booth has a journal at Go Big Red!! called 'gator filez' about being a student-athlete and such.

16. 2leftshoes

2leftshoes New Member

Sep 17, 2003
    bay area
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    recruiting classes

2 other top recruiting classes for 2004 are Cal and UOP. Both have gotten a group of very solid players.

17. 2leftshoes

2leftshoes New Member

Sep 17, 2003
    bay area
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andrea Lee of Scotts Valley, CA committed to St. Marys, Moraga

Dani Potts is a junior this year. I don't know if she's given a verbal yet or not

18. soccermen889

soccermen889 New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    Maryland also looks like they got a good recruiting class this year. Signing big recruits; Nataly Arias, Kelly Rozumalski, and Stevie Dunning. Congrats!

Who signed with Portland and Nova?

19. Drickey

Drickey New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    Kansas City
  20. Boston Bob

Boston Bob New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    other great classes

I think the West Virginia and Ohio State classes will get added to that list of top classes

21. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

Apr 1, 2001
    Austin
    Texas recruits

The Longhorns pulled in a small but high-quality class of Texas players. The headliners are: hometown girl Stephanie Logterman, a Parade All-American and U-19 NT defender, she will likely redshirt to compete in Thailand; and Caitlin Kennedy, a NSCAA All-American and NT pool player, could be a mid or forward.

Rounding out the class are some quality ODP players, Kelsey Carpenter (F, a team mate of Kennedy's from Dallas area), Leslie Imber (F from Houston Challenge), and Christy Perkins (D, a team mate of Logterman in Austin).

22. auger9

auger9 New Member

Apr 24, 2003
    Ontario
    Re: Re: Best classes

is she red-shirting or staying another year/semester in highschool.

23. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    Re: Re: Re: Best classes

deferring ... she'll be done with HS after this academic year.

elaine

24. l'AJA

l'AJA New Member

May 19, 2002
    Garden Grove, Calif.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klein ... Lang ... Averbuch

Brittany Klein to Santa Clara

What I heard -- and this isn't from Lang, so I can't account for how true it is; this is the word among college coaches -- is that Lang is more or less best friends with Melanie Booth, and that that may be the decisive (but certainly not the only) thing if she decides on Florida. I think she'd benefit more from being at UNC.

Yael Averbuch is a junior. I had the chance to talk with her, and she hasn't made up her mind on a college. Many think she's set for UNC -- her mother co-authored Anson Dorrance's latest book -- but she says she's going to look at some schools and see what she likes. She could go to the West Coast, but says her preference would be to be closer to home.

UNC won't announce their class for awhile, but I've heard Gayle and Gilbert from impeccable sources, and, of course, Ashlyn Harris has been UNC-bound since she was a sophomore.

Elaine: Any idea if Lang will sign this spring, then defer, or will she sign after U-19s?

25. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    kara lang

what i know is that at this current moment, kara has not decided anything and most likey won't do so for another few months.

she's currently out in vancouver training with the u19s (and some of the sr. players) and she has lots on her plate: finishing off gr 12 (through an online HS in vancouver), costa rica and hopefully the olympics. plus the u19 championships in thailand this fall, so for sure she will not be in university until 2005.

that's all i have that i can share! lol :) bottom line, it's a busy time for kara ... and "selecting" which university she'll go in the future is just one of the many things she's got on her mind!!

elaine