2004-05 NBA thread

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by Megatron, Nov 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Megatron

Megatron New Member

Jul 4, 2002
    Chicago
    I figured it's time we start posting in this thread and not the preseason one.
    The season starts tonight,what are a few things you guys are looking forward to?I'm anxious to see what my forever rebuilding Bulls are going to do this year.

2. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I didn't realize it started tonite - gives me something to do while waiting for news. Yao Ming and Tracey vs. Pistons and Nuggets vs. Kobe.

It'll be interesting to see if the Lakers get whooped up on by an exciting Nuggets team.

3. NonStop4

NonStop4 New Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Results
    Houston at Detroit 79-87

Sacramento at Dallas 98-107

Denver at LA Lakers 78-89

Interesting Rumor

"Word within the NBA is that the Timberwolves haven't given up on trying to trade for Jason Kidd, even though the New Jersey Nets point guard's injured knee isn't expected to heal until late next month. The Wolves' contract controversies with Latrell Sprewell and Sam Cassell could hasten a deal."

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/basketball/10074201.htm

Healthy Kidd would be awesome with Garnett :D

4. therealronaldo7

therealronaldo7 New Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    A couple observations from last night:

- Besides McGrady and Yao, the Rockets have little to no firepower offensively.
    - The Lakers, as I thought, are better than people think.
    - The Nuggets are overrated.
    - The Kings, as I predicted to some friends over the weekend are not gonna be that great. They will be lucky to win 50 games.

5. Megatron

Megatron New Member

Jul 4, 2002
    Chicago
    Charles Barkley actually brought up a good point yesterday about the Nuggets,he mentioned that they have 3 players(Nene,Camby,K-Mart) who are all good but play the same position.I agree I just don't see what all the hype about the Nuggets is all about,but I'll guess we'll wait and see.

6. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    Detroit Pistons.

same old Pistons. Playing exactly like last year.

So will it be San Antonio who faces Detroit's wrath in the finals this year?

7. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    That is what I am predicting. I wonder if Darko is ever gonna be good?

8. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Why is it that every expert just assumes that Yao is gonna be the next great superstar? I am just specifically referring to last night, but thids guy is inconsistent and lacks the killer instinct you see in guys like Shaq, Tim Duncan and even Ben Wallace. I am not saying he is not a good player, but I am not convinced this guy is gonna be the best thing since sliced bread.

9. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I agree that there are questions about whether he can take the next step to superstar status, but if you've seen him play Shaq straight up, you know that he already is a very very good player at a young age. His passing, court vision, shooting and touch are all superb -- and you can't teach that much height.

10. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    He is a very, very good player and is one of the best centers in the league, but I am not completely convinced that this guy is gonna ever average more than 18 or 20 a game and dominate the way people think he will. He does play well against Shaq and perhaps as he gets older he will play more consistently. I want him to do well. I think the Rockets are gonna struggle some this year. I don't think they have much beyond Yao and T-Mac. Jimmy Jackson, Mo Taylor and Charlie Ward are decent players, but not players on championship caliber teams. The Rockets will get like 7 or 8 seed in the West. 1 game in and I am already jumping to conclusions. I am an idiot. No, wait the American people are idiots!

11. el_urchinio

el_urchinio Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Just finished watching the Jazz and the Lakers. The Jazz just killed them, it was painful to watch at times. Kobe was atrocious in the first half and brilliant in the second. The Lakers as a whole, however, are horrible. I know they have injury problems, but when your first 3 guys coming off the bench are Jumaine Jones, Brian Cook and something called a Tierre Brown, you know shìt's hit the fan. Especially when you're facing teams whose first 3 people off the bench are Memo Okur, Matt Harpring and Raja Bell.

The Lakers shot 29% and had 7(yes, seven) assists. Showtime this ain't.

12. NonStop4

NonStop4 New Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Jazz are very good especially with Carlos Boozer and the main man AK47
    They have no Superstar but they are very consistent. They are my favourite team now. :D

13. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I like the Jazz myself. I fell asleep really early last night and missed the game so I must ask how my guy, Keith McCelod, did at point for the Jazz. According to the box score, he started last night and had six points, 8 assists. Anyone have any comments on his play? Thanks!

14. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KG continued where he left off last year against the Knicks last night, scoring 28 and getting 20 rebounds. I'm not too happy with the 99-93 victory margin though. Hopefully it was close due to the fact that its still early in the season.

Tonights game in Denver should be pretty good. I expect the Nuggets to be very aggressive and continue building up the bad blood between the two teams from last years playoffs series. Especially now that Denver has Kenyon Martin on their team.

Sprewell was booed at introductions last night which is not great to hear or see. With a tender ankle, slightly heated contract talks, and now a run in with the law. Latrell could be heading out of MN. Which is unfortuante if you ask me, Spree provided a certain confident flair to the team last year.

15. microbrew

microbrew New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    NJ
    Random thoughts:

I like the Jazz. I like 'em a lot. And did I read this correctly? Andrei Kirilenko had eight blocks against the Lakers?

The Mavericks and Suns look pretty good too, I'll have to look out for their games on national TV.

Houston should run the Princeton offense.

As for the Nets: watching Shaq bash away at a guy who has new kidney... Zoran Planinic is the second most talented player on the team (Nenad Kristic is too raw).

16. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    - I hope the Jazz do well this season. I like them and I also like the Suns. I am going to see the Suns next Tuesday here in Chicago against the Bulls.
    - Kirilenko did have 8 blocks in one game last night. He is something else. I am convinced that he is Ivan Drago's son.
    - Houston stinks! They have nothing outside of Yao and McGrady. I can see Van Gundy getting pissed in a hurry. They lost to the Raptors last night. That is not good.
    - The Nets are brutal as well. I hope the Bulls can beat them tomorrow night. If they don't, it is a bad sign of things to come.

17. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Are you Bill Simmons in disguise?

But yeah, with that haircut and the cold water running through his veins, he is Ivan Drago. In a year or two, I think he will be the rich man's Dirk Nowitzki.

18. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I wish I was Sportsguy. That way could give up my job and do something I actually enjoyed and care about. I am just glad people can laugh once in a while at things.

19. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    A few questions for my fellow NBA fans:
    - Am I the only person who thinks the Rockets are not as good as many people thought they were gonna be?
    - Do you think the Nuggets are as overrated as I do?
    - Do you think the Suns are as underrated as I do?
    - Why does Jerome Moiso still pick up a paycheck?

20. Megatron

Megatron New Member

Jul 4, 2002
    Chicago
    -I think the Rockets are good on paper,however that doesn't translate to on court success.
    -The Nuggets are overrated,I'm not a big fan of Melo or Kenyon Martin.
    -The Suns oh I'm sorry I thought that said Spurs!No the Suns are fine just where they are,the Spurs are underrated though.
    -Jerome Moiso!Because the NBA likes paying guys for doing nothing,for example Eddie Robinson who just got paid $10 Million dollars to leave Chicago

21. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I've got the Spurs winning it all this year. It is funny though how they always seem to fly under the radar every year. They are tough.
    As for tonight, I look for the Timberwolves to rough up the Man City looking Nuggets.
    Watch out too for the Bullets, I mean the Wizz tonight against the Bobcats in their franchise opener. I am thinking this will be a bad game.
    NBA Pass is free all this week!!!!

22. el_urchinio

el_urchinio Member

Jun 6, 2002
    I forget who asked, but Keith McLeod was very solid last night, considering that a week ago, he could not have dreamed of starting. This was the first start of his career, and aside from questionable shot selection, he was more than adequate. He had more assists than all the Lakers combined and I was particularily impressed by how he led the Jazz fast break on more than one occasion, resulting in some sick dunks by Boozer and co.

Sadly, he's likely going to be the odd-man out once Arroyo and Lopez return. The Jazz signed Howard Eisley to a one year contract yesterday, and since McLeod's contract isn't guaranteed, I think that leaves him out of the equation.

23. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    A few questions for my fellow NBA fans:
    - Am I the only person who thinks the Rockets are not as good as many people thought they were gonna be?

yep, really they are just as bad as Orlando except for Yao. jimmy Jackson? Since they have Yao that gives them about 20 more wins than Orlando had last year but subtract about 10 because they play in the West. So what I am saying is that Houston very well might not make the playoffs without a 3rd good player.

- Do you think the Nuggets are as overrated as I do?

yes and if you watched Inside the NBA the other day Charles Barkley also thinks the Nugges are overrated and Kenny Smith seemed to thinks so as well.

- Do you think the Suns are as underrated as I do?

Well that's a tough one. On paper they should have been good last year and they weren't. Stoudimire, Marion and Nash make up a good trio but we'll see.

- Why does Jerome Moiso still pick up a paycheck?

who?

24. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Re: Rockets

People tend to overrate players 1-3 and underrate players 4-8 on a roster. Rockets don't have players 3-6. Jackson is a nice veteran presence, but he's not the 3rd option. Otherwise, they don't have the role players. No playmaker, no shooter, no rebounder (well, Clarence Weatherspoon, maybe), no defensive stopper, no "spark" guy (unless you count Maurice Taylor - heh).

So yeah, they suck.

25. Power_of_foot

Power_of_foot Red Card

May 28, 2004
    One most ridiculous thing ever in the history is that Pheonix bought a player from Japan.
    Certainly Japanese people don't know how to play basketball, but how come NBA bought a plyer who is only 5 foot 8 inch tall.
    Ridiculous.
    If a Chinese player is in NBA, I wouldn't care.
    But, a Japanese?
    Really hilarious.