2003 World Series Champions...[R]

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Harry Ottis Guff, Oct 25, 2003.

1. Harry Ottis Guff

Harry Ottis Guff BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 2, 2003
    Im gonna slap you!
    Marlins

Ive only just started watching the baseball, I am living in Miami but I am english and have never taken an interest in the game before. Once you know the rules though its alright! My girlfriend is a yankees fan though even though she is from Texas! I dont understand that. But I admit that I have been ignorant toward american sport, never really giving them a chance but baseball is really fun, and relaxing, I like it!

Do you think that weather has a big effect on american sports, its hot here but freezing in new york. This must give places like miami an advantage in say, american football, being used to the heat down here!!

2. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Re: Marlins

Absolutely.

Miami Dolphins traditionally play well until October then fold like an origami crane when the weather gets cold. And until last year, the Tampa Bay Bucaneers had never won a game when the temperature was below 40 degrees F. The playoffs being in the middle of winter seems to help cold weather teams. Green Bay lost their first home playoff game in a billion years last season.

For baseball, it goes both ways. Heat helps carry the ball from what I understand, but cold temperature is tough on pitchers' arms.

3. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It goes both ways. Sure, Miami can hammer teams that aren't used to the heat, but watch them in Green Bay in November and you'll see the opposite is true.

4. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF

I feel her pain, me being from Dallas and all. The Rangers bring nothing to the table and give no real pride to get behind. As nice as the BallPark in Arlington is, it's still sandwiched between Six Flags, a huge water park and restaraunts like the Outback, Fridays and what not. It's a huge amusement park.

Much like the Marlins, they can't give away seats when they don't win, but all of a sudden have a million "real" fans when they do (actually, every Dallas sports team is like that, look at the Mavericks). They'll spend outreagous amounts of money on big sluggers, but can't attract any pitching to back it up. Not only that, but they'll always play second fiddle to the Cowboys, every team there does. And now that the Mavericks are on fire, they're playing fourth behing the Cowboys, Mavericks, and the Stars.

5. SoccerFan8270

SoccerFan8270 New Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    Congradulations to the 2003 World Champion Florida Marlins...

6. SoccerFan8270

SoccerFan8270 New Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    Josh Beckett

Josh Beckett pitched 9 great innings in Game 6...Also the MVP of the World Series...
    [​IMG]

7. RoverMax

RoverMax Member

May 4, 2003
    NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heart is greater than money. The Yankees outspent the Marlins by 110 million, but they are not the better team. As a Mariners fan, I would like to congratulate the team that shares the same stadium as the greatest professional sports team in history. Hopefully the Dolphins can follow in the Marlins footsteps and bring a Super Bowl to Miami. I hate the Yankees and watching them lose gives me joy. Spending money does not always guarantee a title!!!

8. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver

How does George sleep at night knowing this? :rolleyes:

9. Harry Ottis Guff

Harry Ottis Guff BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 2, 2003
    Im gonna slap you!
    YEAH, HER HOMETOWN TEAM ARE THE ASTROS, COS SHE IS FROM HOUSTON, BUT SHE STILL SUPPORTS THE YANKEES (BEATS ME), BUT WELL DONE MARLINS ANYWAY, THANKS FOR RESPONSES GUYS !!

10. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not bad for a 10 million payroll team. :)

11. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Hopefully all you Yankee haterz can stop using that as a reason to hate the team. Everytime you ask someone about why they hate the team its because they have all the money and buy all the players, now you know how stupid that reason is.

I have to hand it to the Marlins and specially Beckett he pitched a hell of a game.

12. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Let's not carried away on this money thing. Money helps a great deal.

13. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Re: Re: Marlins

And yet their attendance was 2,094,394 with a last place team.

14. SoccerFan8270

SoccerFan8270 New Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    I am a Yankees fan, so of course I was dissapointed when they lost. However, I think that the Marlins played an exellent postseason and they deserved the title.
    [​IMG]

15. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: 2003 World Series Champions...[R]

Wow, I didn't realize that Pudge was the only player who got paid this year. ;)

16. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good job Marlins.

So which players from the Marlins will be playing for the Yankees next season? I think George will throw enough money at them and get them to make the move.

17. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Merged, as somebody doesn't understand the concept of no results in thread titles.

18. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF

Agreed, doesn't everyone want their team to have as much resources as possible?? I have plenty of more reasons to hate the Yankees...and I'll start with the quotes from last night, "this wasn't supposed to happen"?? Give me a break...