2003 World Cup TV in US

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by DCUPopeAndLillyFan, Jul 29, 2002.

1. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    From http://www.soccertv.com/

Women's World Cup 2003

July 23, 2002

Anschutz Soccer, Inc. holds US English-language TV rights to Women's World Cup 2003, scheduled for September 24 - October 11, 2003 in China.

Anschutz has purchased time on ABC to air the FINAL, to be played on Saturday October 11, 2003 at 4:30am Eastern/1:30am Pacific (4:30pm in Shanghai). Note that ABC affiliates have the option to pre-empt the live telecast for other programming, including paid programming (infomercials), if the final does NOT involve the US Women's National Team.

Anschutz will offer 9 additional telecasts (3 first round matches involving the US Women's National Team, 4 quarterfinals, 2 semifinals), to the ESPN networks for telecast on ESPN2 via same-day tape delay. ESPN, Inc. may choose to move selected telecasts to ESPN and may choose to televise matches involving the US Women's National Team live depending on viewer interest.

Univision Communications (NYSE: UVN) holds US Spanish-language TV rights to Women's World Cup 2003. Selected telecasts will air on Galavision via tape delay.

------------

So, as it stands no live games except the final, only US first-round matches (which may be televised live IF THERE IS INTEREST), and local ABC affiliates may pre-empt the final if the US is not in it.

SO - I suggest the following is incumbent upon us:

* Write ESPN. Tell them you want to see the US games live. Tell them you want to see some other first-round matchups as well, live if possible.

* Write your local ABC affiliate and tell them you want to see the final live regardless of who's playing.

* Write Univision and express interest in watching WC matches on their channel.

ceezmad repped this.
  2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Bizarre foul call against Nigeria

3. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Only one CONCACAF team left.....

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF happened here? lol

5. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    :) must have clicked an old thread by mistake. Now I just have to figure out where I was trying to post.

Oldtimers, I guess.

6. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Did we just go through a time warp?

7. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    [​IMG]

8. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    This is funny.
    I didn't even know this board was here in 2002.
    Half of the current national team were still browning in their pampers then.

9. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    I see what you mean.
    Your analysis here is spot on.
    I agree with every bit of it.

11. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Hey guys, do you think the WWC over in China coming up this summer will be a competitive tournament? I heard they may have to cancel it and move it to the U.S. at the last second. The U.S. are the defending World Cup Champions from 1999, and I'm not sure they can win it this time. Mia Hamm and the crew are getting older.

I think Germany is the darkhorse pick going into this world cup.
    Watch Maren Meinert. She could be a beast in this upcoming tournament.

12. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mia and crew will be fine.... they'll just keep honing their skills in WUSA for the next ten yers.

It's not like that league will fold after three years of blowing a ton of mony,.... re-form as a new league a few years later,.... then fold that after three years (again!) after blowing more money including a bizzare legal scramble with a team owner,.... no way,.... no way at all.

13. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    2003 time capsule again?
    WOW, this was actually back when Germany used to win "the big games" on the international stage.