2003 USWNT Schedule

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Wolves_67, Dec 22, 2002.

1. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here it is except the cup of course.. Venues subject to change.
    All games on ESPN or ESPN2:

1/12 - USWNT vs. Japan, Torero Stadium, Dan Diego, CA
    2/16 - USWNT vs Iceland, New Orleans, LA or Charleston, SC
    4/23 - USWNT vs Iceland, tbd
    5/17 - USWNT vs England, Atlanta, GA
    6/14 - USWNT vs T&T, Salt Lake City, UT
    7/13 - USWNT vs tbd, Long Island, NY
    9/1 - USWNT vs Costa Rica, Los Angeles, HDNTC
    9/7 - USWNT vs Mexico, San Jose, CA
    10/22 - USWNT vs Canada tbd
    11/2 - USWNT vs Denmark tbd

2. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Thanks for the info Wolves_67!!!

The Big Sleazy!? Where would they play down there? I don't think neither NT's have played in New Orleans before.

Wednesday. Thank God this really doesn't interfere with the WUSA season.

This is on a Saturday. Damn.

Saturday as well. Double damn. Where would they play? The USWNT has never played in SLC. Rice Eccles Stadium perhaps? The site of the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2002 Winter Olympics? SCHWEET...I'm driving down there!

Sunday.

Monday. Yay Home Depot!!!!

I am guessing these two Cali matches may be part of the Nike Cup before they head to China.

Wednesday.

Sunday.

I would assume the last two dates are somewhere along the Sun Belt or perhaps the Left Coast?

That is a pretty ambititous domestic schedule leading up to China huh?

3. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The only other venue really close to SLC other than Eccles which seats 46K, would be at Weber State's Stewart Stadium in Ogden, 17,312. It's just a 30 min or less drive from downtown SLC.

4. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I hope that one of these a typo. Or would there be some reason for the team to place Iceland twice in a row?

5. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re: Re: 2003 USWNT Schedule

One is, often, a "closed door" and the other open to the public.

With the extreme weakness of the teams the US is playing, except for Canada and England, none are even remotely a challenge. It could be just to build goal totals for players so they look better on paper.

Clearly US soccer and the coaches do not believe the women need to prepare against the best possible teams for the WWC.

No, China, Norway, Germany, Brazil, or any other team with even an outside chance at the title.

The men did a MUCH better job in their run up to the cup finding good opponents.

I guess US soccer cannot get top teams to travel here and we do not wish to go there and to heck with good preperation.

We are so great we don't have to get ready, the other teams will just roll over and play dead for us. I'm thinking of Rocky where the "champ" assumes that he can win on his rep without hard work.

6. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Re: Re: Re: 2003 USWNT Schedule

Yeah but that's usually within a day or two of each other (look at Russia in 2001 when they came here). There is a two month span before they play Iceland again. I doubt any of the Iceland matches are a closed door match.

With regards to prepping against the tougher teams...

The USWNT heads to China next month to play Germany, Norway, and China and then in March the USWNT participates in the 87th annual Algarve Cup.

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    What's the source of this schedule? Was it published somewhere?

8. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re: Re: Re: Re: 2003 USWNT Schedule

Who you paly 6 months before the cup is virtually meaningless. It is who you play in the last 3 or 4(maximum) months that prepair you for competition.

The trip to China and the Algrave are good for selecting the final roster spots BUT even that is questionable. Several last minute decissions have to be made that make a HUGE difference in the WC and the players need to play together, in mostly a final lineup, close to the WC against top teams like the men did, for at least half of games, against Italy, Germany, and and others in the last two months before the cup.

There is no one in this schedule that should give the US any trouble except Canada, and that will not be a good run up to the cup.

With this schedule, unless good teams are added later, the US will go into th WC very soft.

The excuse of the WUSA playing is just CR*P. The men were in the middle of the MLS and they pulled it off. The women should be at least as able. Of course the men's staf were intellegent enough to set the games so that players could handle both but Ape and co do not seem to have that level of competence.

9. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was not published when I posted it but I'm sure the dates will start showing up elswhere soon.
    The source can be trusted fully. Still subject to venue change and you should, as always, wait for a date to appear on USsoccer before making travel plans, in my opinion.
    http://www.ussoccer.com/events/default.sps

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm not worried about travel arrangements. I just want know a source for the speculation. Some of the dates were previously announced in Soccer America. Did you make these up yourself?

I mean, two post-World Cup dates. Are you kidding me? Sorry if I sound a bit incredulous, but I'm wondering if this info comes from the foreign fed(s)? You found it in some obscure spanish language footy newspaper? Someone with in the USSF shared this info with you?

Where? Otherwise, the majority of this info is worthless BigSoccer conjecture.

I mean, scheduling post-World Cup games at this point. Puhleeze.

11. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No I didn't make it up. It's not rumor. Provided from the inside as a "public service" to fans of US Soccer early and maybe there will even be some useful feedback on some of the TBA's.
    Perhaps that has a little to do with why things get "leaked" this way.
    I'm not the only one who has this list. It was given to others and I'm sure it will show up elsewhere if it hasn't already and perhaps you will trust those sources.

12. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Andy, I did not notice that the last two were post WC, good catch.

That makes the schedule even weaker with no games against top teams in the last 4 months and the best team in this group is England, a fairly(very) weak side, and they are set over 4 months before the cup.

I guess, if these teams are correct, the USSF believes we are so good we don't need any real games.

I hope you are right and this is NOT a correct schedule. If it is we may not even get to the semis.

Of course there is the one "tbd" team, maybe that will be a team with some skill. But, more than likely, it will be American Samoa.

13. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no reason why matches may not be added to the list in the future. These dates are supposedly set in stone dates.
    There could be additions but that would only be speculation on my part. This list is real but no schedule is something to bet your life on when it involves the real world and teams coming from around the world.

14. Awe-Inspiring

Awe-Inspiring New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    It could also be, simply, that other top teams do not want to pay the expense of coming to the USA to play the USWNT.

Notice that all of the games are at home. Is this just a home game list? Other tournaments such as Algarve may provide some other top competition. Don't rush to assume that the games shown below are the only ones the USA is going to play.

This inconvenient set of facts may interfere with some posters' rush to excoriate Heinrichs again, but so be it.

15. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    I recall someone mentioning that the USWNT was only going to play 11 or 12 matches before the World Cup. I see 8 matches on the above list that are scheduled before September 24th. That leaves a maximum of four matches to play that aren't listed. I'm going to assume that is either the Algarve or the Four Nations tourney.

Playing in either of those tourneys will match us up against the best teams in the world. Playing the best teams in the world all year before the WC isn't necessary to know how far along the skill of your team is, in my opinion. Feel free to disagree.

All I'm saying is, don't blast Heinrichs when the season hasn't even begun. Contrary to popular belief, she's not stupid. Let the woman work.

16. Awe-Inspiring

Awe-Inspiring New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    I was beginning to think I was the only one who held those views, Alana. ;)

17. Hamm-star

Hamm-star New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    I would rather not see them end up with a similar schedule to the one they had in 2000...If you recall, there were times when they looked absalutely exhausted, because the schedule had them playing on average 1 to 2 games a week. Or 34 Matches I beleive there abouts anyway,before they even played in the Olympics..all I know is it was an insane number of matches. and completely un-necessary.

18. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    In 2000 it was necessary to play that many matches because there was no WUSA. The men went through the same process from 1991-1994 with something like 40 matches in a single year.

You won't see as many matches because players have club commitments.

For a point of reference, the men played 21 matches in 2002, including 5 in the Gold Cup, 5 in the World Cup and 1 post World Cup.

Sachin

19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    20 Internationals, plus the MLS All-Star game and and some scrimmages..

20. milbrett

milbrett New Member

Apr 9, 2000
    MA
    Well I hope the DATE changes and NOT the venue. I assume this game will be at Mitchell...problem is NY Power will be AT Carolina on the 12th...wouldn't it make more since to have a doulbe header and hopefully get some of the NYers out to Mitchell!

21. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    Nah, I think plenty of people think that way. They don't say it, but they think that way.

22. SunnyJah

SunnyJah New Member

Oct 29, 2001
    depends on the season

my sentiments exactly milbrett- this would be great.

23. UP90

UP90 New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Georgia
    Recently I read an article written by Michelle Akers on USA Today's site. She claimed the schedule leading up to the 2000 Olys was too exhausting and compared the state of the team then with their state leading up to the '95 World Cup. She also implied that team chemistry was damaged somehow. I don't know if she thought that was Heinrich's doing, but she expressed concern about the team being burned out by the time the World Cup starts.

24. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Looks like they decided on Charleson over the Big Sleazy.

6pm ET on ESPN2.

25. csh2000

csh2000 New Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Chicago

Ticketmaster on sale Wednesday: http://www.ticketmaster.com/artist/832829